COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 331

starting strength gym
Page 331 of 2538 FirstFirst ... 2312813213293303313323333413814318311331 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 25379

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #3301
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    27

    Default

    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    • starting strength seminar june 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    It's hard for me to believe you are old enough to have a son, let alone one that is at least 28.

    But I'll give you this, you are the KING of ad hominem on this thread.
    Explain?

  2. #3302
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I ain't your son, and I will accept your surrender, evidenced by your anger and frustration, and gladly move on. After reading your response I concluded that there will always be people who will look at a set of facts and conclude the exact opposite of what they would imply to a sensible, logical person. And that's even before they start distorting the facts, shading them, mischaracterizing them, and simply making them up. I'd like to continue thinking that your work on strength training outweighs what I read in your response about the federal government, but I probably should have told you that I could have written that for you long before you started, even before I asked you the questions. I've dealt professionally with many people who think as you do, and the convenience of their arguments is regardless of how outrageous they are, they can simply select facts to fit the argument. Libertarians do that to a fare-thee-well, and "sovereigns" take it to the stratosphere. Neither kind persuades very many people, however, since facts are pesky, stubborn things.

  3. #3303
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who said I was open-minded? Like I'm supposed to listen to your argument for 2+2=5? These guys must all be on a conference call with each other.
    "Rip" - "the worst economic and social catastrophe in history."
    The Holocaust involves 6 million jews sent to their death by gas. Women and Children. Rip's gym gets a bit less business.

  4. #3304
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who said I was open-minded? Like I'm supposed to listen to your argument for 2+2=5? These guys must all be on a conference call with each other.
    "the worst economic and social catastrophe in history."

    Enslavement of black people for hundreds of years denies people their basic human rights. But Rip's gym gets less business.

  5. #3305
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who said I was open-minded? Like I'm supposed to listen to your argument for 2+2=5? These guys must all be on a conference call with each other.
    "the worst economic and social catastrophe in history."

    The Plague erases half of Europe's population. But "Rip's" gym gets a little less business.

  6. #3306
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,483

    Default

    It's a stupid-storm! Back to the real world: Denver orders closure of USPS facility that handles mail for all of Colorado, Wyoming | FOX31 Denver

    I think Denver will learn that they lack the authority to close a federal mail service center.

  7. #3307
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingoDeFranc View Post
    I just finished watching this one. I think I have step away from these videos with experts who the media continues to blatantly ignore. It's some seriously spectacular bushwa (I wanted to use a new word for this) and it's making me want to smash my head into the ground. To pieces.

    Around 2 o'clock today, I watched my neighbor get something out of her car with a mask on and promptly go back inside. The Sun was shining. It was the second day in a row to hit 80. She's in her 70s. The even funnier part, she routinely sees her granddaughter (who works at the hospital) and babysits her baby. Along with visiting the rest of her family. Her reasoning is that her granddaughter is regularly having her temperature taken at work and so it's safe to see her. This neighbor is also a minister. It's heartening to know there's such strong leadership in the world, at all levels.
    Here in Ohio the gyms opened up today. I was there at 6, doing my first set of squats in over two months. I lost about 30% off my squat and 20% off my deadlift, but man, it felt so good. It's like all the stress melted off. All the anger I harbored toward the Kool-Aid bros like darrow and bruno turned into smug satisfaction.

    The best part was that almost no one wore masks. One guy walked in with one on, looked around and saw that no one else was wearing one, and immediately took it off. The owner had one on, but by the time I left he had it pulled down over his chin since it was obvious no one cared.

    Mask use has also tailed off in grocery stores, anecdotally. I saw about 90% compliance the past few weeks, but it's dropped to something like 50% the past few days.

    Don't get complacent though. Mock foolishness wherever you see it. The emperor doesn't have any clothes on, but people still think he does.

  8. #3308
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    Lets assume the study is accurate (I do not), but public policy is an entirely different question. Assuming the study is correct, I would think that it should go into the discussion in deciding what public policy should be.

    What I'm really waiting to hear is someone who will say: Yes, wearing masks and and taking other precautions can save 10s of thousands of lives, but I don't think we should have any policy to reduce the spread. What I usually hear is: It isn't dangerous. Anyone who self-isolates or wears a mask is a sheep and what they are doing will have no effect.
    The problem I'm pointing out is that local officials, like in my county, are trying to pass a law where businesses face a fine if they don't mandate customers to wear a mask. I see the people on this forum advocating for a "free market" approach much more than a mandate. I've seen Rip say something to this effect at least 5 times on this thread, if not more. If he wants everyone to wear a mask in his gym, let that be up to him and not some public policy maker. Likewise, if he doesn't care that you wear a mask in his gym, and you feel scared, you have the option not to train there. It really is that simple. To force someone to wear a mask because of hamster studies though... Come on...

    I don't have a problem with the media and health officials suggesting wearing a mask as long as they're honest about where they're basing the evidence. "Hey guys, some hamster study in Hong Kong suggests we should wear a mask," sounds a lot less convincing and scary than, "Hey guys, this is incredibly serious. You all need to be wearing a mask despite us initially not telling you to wear a mask."

    At least the former is honest, if not a little absurd sounding. The latter, despite probably being rooted in good intentions, feels underhanded and sneaky. If you couple that with a general distrust of the government to handle situations like this and the media to report on it accurately, it really shouldn't surprise you. You never gain back what is taken from you. We'll be forced to wear masks on airplanes for the next 50 years if you let the government have their way. We won't even know why we're doing it anymore. Does anyone even remember the justification for 3 oz. of toothpaste on airplanes?

  9. #3309
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    31,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    My apologies for misrepresenting your politics.
    I'm not particularly clear what your position is, though. It seems pretty reasonable for a pharmacy, who caters to a population that is ill, infirm, or ederly (i.e. people who are *actually* at risk from this virus) to ask its patrons to wear masks. Even if it weren't, their roof, their rules. Commerce is, after all, a two-way street. Why would you expect a business to accommodate your demands when you refuse to accommodate theirs?
    The fact that no one challenged me when I was not wearing and did not don a mask and then took my payment without comment indicates accommodation. So both parties got what they wanted. I bought their product and they got my money. An added benefit for me was not acquiescing to sheep-like behavior.

    Do you have any other finger wagging to offer?

  10. #3310
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    73

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    BTW: My response wasn't to you, Rip. It was to the person who ridiculously compared COVID to the flu. I hadn't planned to respond to you at all. But I was interested in the specific prescription you had for the future, which you neglected to say. I'm sure it is some form of "do nothing," which might actually make sense since the administration's fact-free ignoring of the experts has made things essentially irretrievable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •