starting strength gym
Page 333 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2332833233313323333343353433834338331333 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    So, do you think the disease is highly contagious and deadly? If it isn't then masks and social distancing is idiotic. If it is highly contagious and deadly, wouldn't you want to try to help stop the spread?

I keep hearing people on this board making 2 arguments: It is NOT highly contagious and deadly AND there's lots of bad reasons to wear masks....

I wear a mask when i go outside so that I can help to slow the spread. I'd hate for someone to become seriously ill or die because they caught the virus from me.
    Well said, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Here in Ohio the gyms opened up today. I was there at 6, doing my first set of squats in over two months. I lost about 30% off my squat and 20% off my deadlift, but man, it felt so good. It's like all the stress melted off. All the anger I harbored toward the Kool-Aid bros like darrow and bruno turned into smug satisfaction.

The best part was that almost no one wore masks. One guy walked in with one on, looked around and saw that no one else was wearing one, and immediately took it off. The owner had one on, but by the time I left he had it pulled down over his chin since it was obvious no one cared.

Mask use has also tailed off in grocery stores, anecdotally. I saw about 90% compliance the past few weeks, but it's dropped to something like 50% the past few days.

Don't get complacent though. Mock foolishness wherever you see it. The emperor doesn't have any clothes on, but people still think he does.
    People just don't think is the problem. Congrats on gettin' at it again, bud! The best part about such a long break is that you'll come back stronger than ever....after a few weeks. The worse part having to feel sore again. I was fortunate and only missed about 3 weeks of training for myself. I somehow scrambled up all the necessities right before the first lockdown started.

I'm definitely seeing less mask use overall. The few lead the way for the many. But the ones that have advocated for masks seem to have ramped up their use.

I was already a bit of a hermit before, but damn I'd like to go out to the bar.

As far as all the nonsense above (I think we all know what I'm referencing), wow, comedy gold.

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    I believe if we all support each other, we will prevail.

TD
    Best way I know to support each other is thru mutually beneficial commerce.
    Allowed and/or permitted to do business as we see fit. (See what I did there?)

I will not coerce others to do business nor will I be coerced. No one should be, but if people are willing to do the work, and are paid fairly by a customer, everyone wins. Obviously, there exist risks in the world. There have always been. If the goods/services are worth the risk to me, and the provider was not FORCED to do the work...well hopefully you get it.

PLEASE don't do things for my own good anymore.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's a stupid-storm! Back to the real world: Denver orders closure of USPS facility that handles mail for all of Colorado, Wyoming | FOX31 Denver

I think Denver will learn that they lack the authority to close a federal mail service center.
    “When governments collide” is a comedy show I would watch.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingoDeFranc View Post
    People just don't think is the problem. Congrats on gettin' at it again, bud! The best part about such a long break is that you'll come back stronger than ever....after a few weeks. The worse part having to feel sore again. I was fortunate and only missed about 3 weeks of training for myself. I somehow scrambled up all the necessities right before the first lockdown started.

I'm definitely seeing less mask use overall. The few lead the way for the many. But the ones that have advocated for masks seem to have ramped up their use.

I was already a bit of a hermit before, but damn I'd like to go out to the bar.

As far as all the nonsense above (I think we all know what I'm referencing), wow, comedy gold.
    I'm super excited. Everytime I've had to drop weight and do a restart (twice so far in my life), it winds up being a net benefit. My previous 5RM was a 365 squat. I'm determined to reach 405 before the end of summer.

I've talked to a fair number of people over the past few days, and hardly anyone thinks the masks are effective. They'll wear them, but it's mostly due to social pressure. When they understand i don't care about the mask, the mask comes off.

People are smart, much smarter than the Annointed Ones realize. Never forget that human beings are apex predators.

Youtube humor: You must wear the ribbon

So, do you think the disease is highly contagious and deadly? If it isn't then masks and social distancing is idiotic. If it is highly contagious and deadly, wouldn't you want to try to help stop the spread?

I keep hearing people on this board making 2 arguments: It is NOT highly contagious and deadly AND there's lots of bad reasons to wear masks....
    I think you’re missing at least one permutation of the argument that has been represented here: C19 is highly contagious and not generally deadly.

I think I may have submitted this in triplicate as the site seems to be locking up when I hit submit. If so, please delete the other two copies and my apologies.

I don't view a disease with a survival rate of 98% in those KNOWN to be infected by it as particularly deadly. It's probably closer to a 99.5% survival rate for all of those who contract it, and for those below the age of 65, it's remarkably higher. In the 85+ group, I do think the mortality rate is significantly higher (maybe 5-6%?). As a whole, this higher age bracket has a particularly high skew in the perceived overall mortality rate. So, rest assured, there's about a 99% chance you giving the virus to someone won't kill them.

There is either not enough evidence and/or conflicting evidence as to how contagious it is. The CDC announced yesterday that contaminated surfaces are poor transmitters of the disease, while maintaining their stance that social distancing is the most effective method of prevention. So, before it was "failure to wipe even a single square inch of a communal surface down could result in the deaths of hundreds," to "Meh... Not that big of a deal." It seems like everyone has become a statistician suddenly and virtually every measurement of antibodies, total infections, etc... is highly contested by one amateur or professional group or another. In my opinion, the jury is out, but I lean towards it being more infectious in confined spaces like an elevator, subway car, or nightclub and probably far less infectious or not at all infectious in a park, at a squat rack, or even in a big shopping center like Costco. All the same, if I'm capable of making that judgment, then so too should the rest of the public. I like to have the option to avoid such places if so desired and not be told when I am allowed to go to such places. It's a very subtle but important difference.

Speaking of infection rates, Sweden claims 7% of their population has antibodies and they never shut down. This seems contrary to the pro lockdown plea that doing nothing will cause an instantaneous wildfire of COVID-19. Total deaths so far: 3871. That puts the total death rate to a more likely 0.5% among all those who contract it. As of early May, the average age of death was 82. That's consistent with a 99.5% survival rate discussed earlier, and for those without the comorbidity of being old, once again, it's virtually 100% survivable.

As far as wearing a mask, it's situational. If I need something from a business and they require me to wear a mask, I will comply. If I'm out walking my dogs? Hell no. If I'm at a business that doesn't mandate it? No. If I'm checking the mail? No. If I'm fixing a leaky faucet for 98 year old Mrs. Smith down the street, then I would probably be courteous enough to ask her because she's old and maybe she forgot to ask me.

There's one other thing I think you NYC folks forget about... You've been playing good dog all this time, by locking up in your $10k/month 1 bedroom studio apartments and "flattening the curve." When you finally come crawling out, the free folk are coming for a visit. We like Broadway, pizza and baseball games. Most of us have been ignoring shit for at least a month now, and we're itching for a vacation in NYC. At some point, you all will have to deal with this head on in one way or another.

I wear a mask when i go outside so that I can help to slow the spread. I'd hate for someone to become seriously ill or die because they caught the virus from me.
    I'm sorry that you caught the virus, but then, it doesn't seem to have incapacitated you to the point that you stay at home or in a hospital to avoid infecting others. So maybe the virus is not that lethal. Anyway, keeping yourself away from others as long as you're sick will be more helpful in not killing them than wearing a mask while you go outside.

starting strength coach development program
    Los Angeles Times: Coronavirus transmission in L.A. County hits lowest level.
    Coronavirus transmission in L.A. County hits lowest level - Los Angeles Times

The facts and the mayor say completely different things. Make of that what you will.

Oh right, and this: CNET: Coronavirus not easily spread by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says.
    Coronavirus not easily spread by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says - CNET

Fuck your masks, fuck your hand washing, fuck your a-symptomatic transmission... Seems like the only thing left to fuck is your economy? Oh, wait...