COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 360

starting strength gym
Page 360 of 485 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362370410460 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 4849

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #3591
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    422

    Default

    • texas starting strength seminar september 2020
    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Covid Factors to Consider 2, Electric Boogaloo
    ^This^

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The most amazing thing is how fast The Pandemic was resolved. Anyone who takes the media seriously tomorrow has failed the IQ Test.
    Either avoid talking to most people, or prepare to lose respect for many of them today. That NPR voice is a powerful elixir.

    And, here's the latest truth regarding the deadly pandemic:
    German Official Leaks Report Denouncing Corona as ‘A Global False Alarm’

    The German report pretty much sums up the crowdsourcing in this thread. Congrats, SS community. You got it right from the start.

  2. #3592
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Woodside, CA (aka The San Francisco Bay Area or as I like to call it, the belly of the beast)
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a silly article, because it completely ignores the individual personalities involved, and it assumes that all Policemen are just empty vessels waiting to be filled with the latest LE Psychology wisdom emitting from some bullshit Criminal Justice professor operating under a federal grant. Here's the actual deal: if you look at the totality of police relations with the public, you will see that the most dangerous situation a law-abiding citizen will ever find himself in is a Law Enforcement Contact. Doesn't matter if the cop is white or black, or the contact is white or black (Australian women get murdered too), the issue is what we call Cop Shit. Not Racism.

    If cops pull over black people disproportionately, it can be more logically explained by the fact that young black men commit a higher percentage of crime than young white men in urban areas than it can be by Racism, and this is just the fact, sorry. The reason for that fact is largely cultural, i.e. a bunch of young assholes start hanging around together and encouraging criminal behavior. Like MS13 -- remember them? Not black, just vicious animals from a different culture. Different cultures generate different forms of behavior, and you know this to be true even if you have a political agenda that prevents you from agreeing with the observation. The Swiss behave differently than the Kosovars. This is merely Pattern Recognition, and is learned by everybody, cop or not, if they're paying any attention while they grow up.

    Yet law enforcement as a whole has millions of productive contacts with taxpayers every year, because most of the cops are not prone to Cop Shit. Cop Shit is what happens when the wrong individuals become LEOs. Training is not the issue. If the kids we all went to school with -- the one who got beat up in gym class, and his buddy, the one who beat him up in gym class -- decide that they are going to get even by beating other people up, or that they really like beating people up, and they figure out that being on the Police Department is a perfect way to indulge themselves at very little personal risk, then that Police Department has a problem than cannot be solved after the guy is hired. They now have a Bad Cop. We all know them, we've all watched them operate: power mad and thirsty for blood, perfectly willing to shove people around who don't need shoving, the guy who writes you for 6 over, and the guy who beats your ass into the back seat of the car after you're already handcuffed. And they're not particularly concerned about your race.

    That guy puts all the rest of the people in the department in a terribly shitty position, like the 3 guys who stood around watching Chauvin with his knee on the neck of a face-down handcuffed man for 8 minutes, doing nothing about an obvious problem. These guys may well have thought, "Fuck, Derek, do you need to do this to the guy??? We're on video, you know!" But they stood there anyway. They should have intervened, and that is a very bad problem, but Chauvin is the real problem. And he can't be trained out of that.

    He should have been screened out. He wasn't. Screening procedures are flawed. He should have been fired after about the 5th complaint several years ago, but he wasn't. Personnel retention procedures are flawed. His fellow officers should have sorted him out with HR or the Chief of Police, ("He's gonna fuck us up, Chief. He's gonna kill somebody who doesn't need killing. The man is out of control. You gotta fire him!") but they didn't. Peer review procedures are flawed. In essence, the Bureaucracy under which Police Departments operate is the problem, because Bureaucracies are carefully designed to prevent accountability for bureaucrats.

    But make no mistake: Cop Shit is the problem in this particular situation, and Racism gets the blame, because Racism is more useful across a much bigger political spectrum. Noah is right when he says that Racism is not just a Southern thing, but the United States is the least racist place on earth, and if you don't believe that you have not traveled and you don't know Asians, Blacks, Mexicans, or anybody different from you. You may have noticed that people like to be around people who are like them -- this isn't "Racism," the problem, it is human nature, the fact.

    Now, imagine being a small business owner in a city where you were locked down for a couple of months, you lost your means of making a living because of your local government, your employees are suffering, your landlord is breathing down your neck. And now, Cop Shit in one fucked up metropolitan area triggers the frustrations of millions of people in a similar situation to yours, local government fails to control a riot (arguably one of the very few legitimate uses of force from government, and certainly more legitimate than measuring 6-foot spacing between people standing in line to pay for what little toilet paper they can find), even though they were perfectly willing to arrest a barber for cutting fucking hair, and what remains of your business is burned to the ground. Frustration is a woefully-ass inadequate term here.
    Spot on analysis Rip, here's a little supporting data for you from Heather MacDonald who has done extensive research on this subject:
    https://www.amazon.com/War-Cops-Atta.../dp/1594038759
    Statistically a black man is much safer in an encounter with Police than a white man, additionally that black man is much more likely to be murdered by another black man than he is to killed in police custody.

  3. #3593
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    42,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    And, here's the latest truth regarding the deadly pandemic:
    German Official Leaks Report Denouncing Corona as ‘A Global False Alarm’
    This is a very important article, which means you should read it before it's taken down. Excerpts:

    The dangerousness of Covid-19 was overestimated: probably at no point did the danger posed by the new virus go beyond the normal level.

    The people who die from Corona are essentially those who would statistically die this year, because they have reached the end of their lives and their weakened bodies can no longer cope with any random everyday stress (including the approximately 150 viruses currently in circulation).

    Worldwide, within a quarter of a year, there has been no more than 250,000 deaths from Covid-19, compared to 1.5 million deaths [25,100 in Germany] during the influenza wave 2017/18.

    The danger is obviously no greater than that of many other viruses. There is no evidence that this was more than a false alarm.

    A reproach could go along these lines: During the Corona crisis the State has proved itself as one of the biggest producers of Fake News.
    The authors of the report issued a joint press release already on Mai 11th, berating the government for ignoring expert advise, and asking for the interior minister to officially comment upon the experts joint statement:

    “Therapeutic and preventive measures should never bring more harm than the illness itself. Their aim should be to protect the risk groups, without endegearing the availibilty of medical care and the health of the whole population, as it is unfortunately occurring”

    “We in the scientific and medical praxis are experiencing the secondary damages of the Corona-measures on our patients on a dialy basis.”

    “We therefore ask the Federal Ministry of the Interior, to comment upon our press release, and we hope for a pertinent discussion regarding the [Corona] measures, one that leads to the best possible solution for the whole population”

    At the time of writing, the German government had yet to react.

    But the facts are – sadly – vindicating the medical experts’ worries.

    On Mai 23 the German newspaper Das Bild titled: “Dramatic consequences of the Corona-Measures: 52,000 Cancer Ops delayed.”
    News of the report went mainstream in Germany during the second week of Mai – but already in the third week media and politicians alike stopped discussing the issue by refusing to comment upon it.

    Emblematic was the approach taken by Günter Krings, the representative for Interior Minister Horst Seehofer – the whistleblower’s boss:

    Asked it he would treat the document seriously, Krings replied:

    “If you start analyzing papers like that, then pretty soon you’ll be inviting the guys with the tin foil hats to parliamentary hearings.”

    Men in tin foil hats – Aluhut in German – is a term used to describe people who believe in conspiracy theories.

    Indeed one article by Der Spiegel adressing the Corona protest movement and the consequences of the leaked report contained the word “conspiracy” no fewer than 17 times!

    And no discussions of the issues raised by the report itself.

    Outside Germany the news has virtually gone unreported.
    Read it. And be glad you don't live in IngSoc-controlled UK: Coronavirus: Sex during lockdown in England is now illegal

  4. #3594
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    Column: White America, if you want to know who’s responsible for racism, look in the mirror - Chicago Tribune

    But you are wrong. White people, you are the problem.

    Hey, lets fight racism with.. Racism!

    American racism is a uniquely white trait. Black people cannot be racist toward you. Racism, by definition, is “prejudice, discrimination or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.”
    Any time I read/hear about something like this, I just think back to Thomas Sowell and all the examples he's brought forth. But the real kicker is how no one advocates for this stuff until something crazy happens. And then, all of a sudden, everyone is clamoring for reform.

    Everything that's happened this year has me feeling totally disconnected from 99% of people. It does seem like I'm opposed, or have a more nuanced understanding to every mainstream thought that's been presented. Thankfully, this forum lets me feel less crazy for being individualistic. I feel like most people here would definitely get along in person, even Shiva.

    As far as what's going on in Maine, I take back what I said about less and less people wearing masks. It appears that those who are opposed to wearing them have already hit the cap. Personally, I haven't been asked to wear one, yet. And should I be asked, my plan has been to politely excuse myself from the business. I took a trip to the coast this past weekend with a buddy and we hit a couple towns. The fort and corresponding museum in Pemaquid has been closed 'indefinitely' due to covid. A shame. And even though most places were open and ready to do business, there weren't enough people wondering around to make business happen. But hey, at least I got to enjoy a draft next to the ocean.

    At this point, I'm just curious to see what happens in the fall.

  5. #3595
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    RS WY
    Posts
    855

    Default

    You are either dead wrong or woefully ignorant...
    Yes thank you I understand the correlations between the lockdowns and the rioting. Though I'm not privy to the global intelligence community's playbook I'm sure that 1) make tinder and 2) insert spark are a destabilization goto.

    However the topic of discussion on the medias (news, social etc.) has clearly shifted from "virus" to "racism". Even this thread got a title makeover...

  6. #3596
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    be glad you don't live in IngSoc-controlled UK: Coronavirus: Sex during lockdown in England is now illegal
    Victoria lives! God save the Queen! We are not amused.

  7. #3597
    Noah Ebner's Avatar
    Noah Ebner is offline Owner, Starting Strength Los Angeles
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Yucaipa
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And be glad you don't live in IngSoc-controlled UK: Coronavirus: Sex during lockdown in England is now illegal
    Nevermind the queen, god save the Brit's epic sense of humor: "However, one lawyer pointed out a potential loophole with the legislation. George Pertez QC tweeted that his reading of the law indicated that someone could potentially have sex with an escort in their home, as it might be deemed legal for work purposes."


    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    However the topic of discussion on the medias (news, social etc.) has clearly shifted from "virus" to "racism". Even this thread got a title makeover...
    This is the logical equivalent of saying that the extended foray into esoteric statistics on this thread from a few weeks ago shifted the discussion off-topic. Did the media induce that detour as well or do you have some bugaboo about people discussing racism, even if briefly and tangentially?

  8. #3598
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    What other factors exactly? There have been dozens of high profile killings of innocent, unarmed, black men by police that all got global media coverage over the last 10 years in this country. Why has this relatively mild case (all of the other men, and in some cases children, were shot dead in the street like dogs) of deadly use of force against a black man by a shitty cop caused the entire country to set fire? What "other factors" is my equation missing? To quote Mr. Carville, "its the economy, stupid".
    I cannot tell if you're being facetious, professor Ebner, but just look at the recent Freddie Grey and Big Mike riots, list the cities they occurred in, and compare/contrast their demographics with those of other cities which also suffered from high unemployment, where, despite your if A->B logic, riots and looting did not occur.

    And I'm sorry if this is offensive, but with the prevalence of smart phones (just like the absence of patients-dropping-like-flies CoVid 19 videos was strange, given what we'd seen coming out of China), can someone explain the absence (are there any!?) of videos of Hispanics, Chinese, Caucasians, or anyone else swarming stores and people to loot and beat, respectively? Going back for the past two decades at least, I suppose??

    But the facts are the facts, even when unpleasant, and while this (demographics) is likely only a correlative and not causal relationship, it would seem you need AT LEAST if A (unemployment) and B (demographics- choose the ones that fit your political narrativr) -> C (riots and looting) in your logic equation.
    I presume you understand this, Mr. Ebner, and that's why I originally wrote that I was incredulous that you'd stressed mainly economics as leading to our 2020 riots.


    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    I cited no less than three examples in my previous post, but since you don't like reading my words, take it from Reason magazine.
    I DID read your words, Noah, but even three examples does not a rule make, especially when you're ruling out other factors being more important than economics as leading to teh looting & rioting- your sample size is probably too small.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    For the record, Breakin' 2 is perhaps the greatest movie of all time. My apologies for not assuming your gender. I'm a college professor, after all, so the PC police are on my ass 24/7 and I sometimes forget who I'm talking to.
    Probably you cannot even say this (that demographics are a big factor in looting behavior, too), Noah, due to the PC culture pervasive at our universities, and I fully empathize with you as a former Higher Ed Administrator who had to keep his political opinions to himself for job safety as well (there's that pesky unwritten, yet ubiquitous limitation on our 1A that I was telling you about, Rip!).


    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    Please explain this simple fact of economics that everyone who doesn't live in Russia inherently understands to Mr. Laureys.
    This one is good, too, professor, as I'm used to
    my decision being questioned by my insecure fellow Americans, who are flabbergasted that I would move to muh Russia, when the MILLIONS all want to come to our Land of Opportunity!

    And I'll have to challenge you to consider, BTW, why Russia hasn't had looting&riots despite its much more economically painful CoVid lockdown, and, hell, why there wasn't even rioting after the economic pain caused by (rounds and rounds of) sanctions. Sure, a more fearful executive arm of the government is to blame, but we'd be blind not to see the preventative role that social cohesion has played as well.
    And, just chose another country with a less "repressive" government than Russia's, and explain how their economic woes haven't led to the disgusting rioting and looting that we're seeing here in our amazing country- what is the missing link that those countries don't have?

    I'm happy to share what some of my thinking was when I decided to wait out our storm over here, if anyone is interested, though it is Off Topic.
    Let's just say that one very successful brainwashing op of our leaders is to make us all viscerally hate Russia, when they would be quite the badass ally, at least in the war against Islamic terrorism, if not in anything else. And an alliance between us would also be strong thanks to the fact that our populaces are quite similar (in that we both have high immigrant populations, a large territory, very different cultures on each coast and in the central areas, and, like it or not, we are both [predominantly] Christian nations). IMHO some of the "powers that be" do not want such a powerful alliance in the world and so that is why muh Russia was promulgated in America, and anti-Americanism is sown among the working class in Russia.
    Why would you succumb to such blatant propaganda, Noah, without analyzing the situation for yourself!? :P

  9. #3599
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Apparently MSNBC used footage of a movie and said it was philly:

    https://mobile.twitter.com/ConnorLag...79900530151425

    My reaction: YouTube


    It's not real but i wouldnt put it past the geniuses over at CNN and MSNBC

  10. #3600
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    148

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsquared1969 View Post
    Statistically a black man is much safer in an encounter with Police than a white man, additionally that black man is much more likely to be murdered by another black man than he is to killed in police custody.
    I think it's the perception that when black men are killed by cops the cops are rarely found guilty. Obviously the perception exists. I am unsure, statistically, if that perception is accurate or not.

    One of the problems with thug cops, in my opinion, are the police unions. I don't think a lot of people understand how hard it is to get rid of a shitty cop. About the best you can do to get him off the street is assign him to desk duty of some sort. Even then, you might face union issues.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •