starting strength gym
Page 392 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 2923423823903913923933944024424928921392 ... LastLast
Results 3,911 to 3,920 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I try to read everyone's posts, but in the case of Darrowdisciple, I've been skipping. However, as I clicked on page 389, I didn't look at the poster's name. Half way through the post, it was so weird, I stopped reading and realized my mistake. I'd ask “Who are you? But I really don't want to know.
    I simply cannot fathom why any of you waste the bandwidth to even read, let alone answer this intentionally provocative, illogical, lying, and incoherent clown anyway. I'm with Boggsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    USAPL already used up their "broken clock" limit when they got the transgender thing right. Not unexpected that they would mess this up.

sb
    Interesting how that particular hobby horse seems to have gotten abandoned by the SJW's, isn't it. Even some of their most ardent spokesho's recognized that they had overreached.

Quote Originally Posted by darrowdisciple View Post
    As I've said. Facts are stubborn things.
    My observation in discussing politics or other difficult topics online is that certain key words are always brought up, and the minute they do my B.S. detector spikes, especially when coming from someone more progressive. One of those words is "Facts". Facts: "something that has actual existence "

I'm going to borrow from Voddie Baucham and label this "Facticism"... This generally manifests itself when the presenter of the argument just inherently KNOWS the Facts. The listeners, the others, because of their situation, are incapable of knowing the facts as well as the person presenting the argument, and thus the word capital F Facts must be used to persuade all of the validity of the argument.

It is my belief that facts are self evident and the word should be confined to easily verifiable cases such as 1+1, the earth is round, and Epstein didn't kill himself. My observation is that a fact is often not defined as a Fact in a progressive's argument unless it is complete and utter bullshit and as a last resort when the issue really may not be so self-evident. Every far-left leaning op-ed piece is littered with the word.

It may be a fact that a person attending a rally saw something and believed it. It is not a fact however to guess / speculate on what the mob of protesters would do next, that is called Speculation. You may conjecture all you wish, but nobody ever needs to declare Facts when they are indeed facts.

fact: Thugs vandalized a church
    fact: Trump visited the church
    fact: protestors were in the way while he tried to visit
    fact: riot police / park police cleared the protestors because (I conjecture) they wouldn't move or posed a risk to Trump's safety
    fact: trump returned safely
    fact: the white house still stands

Where were the protestors when the church was vandalized? What did they do to stop a wanton act of evil? Is nothing sacred anymore? Hypocrites!

This lunacy stops when people are ready to be adults and accept responsibility for their actions... ALL people... white's, black's, protestors, cops, the president, the media... when we stop acting like what we do doesn't impact others and we start being kind.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    I think equity is what people on the far left are looking for - it’s all I read and hear locally.
    Freudian or did you mean it?

Every action has an opposite equal reaction. I sense a massive backlash brewing against BLM and their ‘Allies’.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Unless he's running against Joe Biden. JOE BIDEN.
    Keep in mind this is exactly what they said about Ms. Clinton vs Trump. No way she can lose. She's running against Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Interested in the source of that figure. I thought it dropped to ~ 13% in May.
    Here's the relevant passage:
    BLS asserts that 20,935,000 Americans were unemployed in May, attributing the decline to employers adding 2,509,000 jobs in May as states allowed “a limited resumption of economic activity.” But it’s not that simple. The unexpected decline in the jobless rate is based on a survey of businesses and households conducted over the week of May 16th, and BLS has also reported that 29,965,415 Americans received unemployment insurance benefits in the same week. That’s a gap of 8,980,415 people, enough to raise the May jobless rate 5.7 percentage points to 19.0 percent and much closer to economists’ expectations.
    Basically, there was a misclassification error due to COVID. BLS acknowledged this in a footnote to the report, saying it added 3% to the unemployment figure. When you factor in the usual BLS fuckery of cooking the books by doing all sorts of wonky (mis)classifications, the actual rate is somewhere between 16-19%. Based on personal experience working with national-level BLS datasets (they don't call it the dismal science for no good reason), I have no reason to doubt that the higher estimate is correct.

In any case, 13% is astronomically high (hasn't been that high since the Great Depression), and even the BLS admits that that figure is impossibly low.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Maybe not, I don't know any Republican that holds Trump responsible for the economic disaster of the Coronavirus response.
    Voters don't care that the President of the United States can't actually affect the unemployment rate one iota in either direction. It takes a far higher level of education than most voters have to understand that the global economy is sui generous and any single individual, no matter how economically or politically powerful, is actually powerless to influence the ebbs and flows of global capital. H. W. Bush is case in point. While he certainly is indirectly responsible for the 1990 oil price shock because he decided to start fucking around in the middle east, voters didn't care to sort out that nuance and just blamed the man in the oval office for being jobless. For some historical context, the unemployment rate peaked in June of 1992 at 7.8 and that was enough to cost Bush the office. We're in June of an election year and unemployment is 16%. Responsibility be damned, things looks very bleak for Mr. Trump.

Because no one ever gets out of breath at a powerlifting competition.
    Try doing the Valsalva maneuver with a mask on and let me know how that goes.

Woodside, CA (aka The San Francisco Bay Area or as I like to call it, the belly of the beast)

Darrow, stop trolling or I will delete you.
    Rip, just delete him, he adds nothing to the conversation, if I wanted to hear from some America hating douchebag I can turn on CNN, MSDNC, ABC, NBC, CBS or I can open up the NYT or Jeff Bezos' WAPO. He's not even original or interesting in any way, shape or form.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Good lord, darrow. If you think that the protesters wouldn't have "stormed" the white house given half the chance, you're delusional. And I'm saying that as a self described liberal who's actually taken part in BLM protests over the last several years.
    I was basically going to type this before I saw it was already typed. If people weren't physically prevented from storming the white house, someone absolutely would. Probably quite a few someones. Even if Mr. Rogers was the president. Someone would absolutely do it. Anyone who doesn't realize this either doesn't understand how people work or is willfully deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post

Freudian or did you mean it?
    What are you asking? I was referring to equity of outcomes. When people on the left are talking about equity, I do not think they are referring to equal opportunity - they want equitable outcomes. That’s why you see corporations hiring in a manner now where they are applauded for filling quotas and not necessarily hiring the best person.

Apparently they did know each other according to this club owner.

Former coworker says Floyd and Chauvin "bumped heads"

Quote Originally Posted by gc1885 View Post
    Apparently they did know each other according to this club owner.
    Yes. We knew this 2 weeks ago.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    What are you asking? I was referring to equity of outcomes. When people on the left are talking about equity, I do not think they are referring to equal opportunity - they want equitable outcomes. That’s why you see corporations hiring in a manner now where they are applauded for filling quotas and not necessarily hiring the best person.
    Just teasing a bit. Equity can have a couple different meanings, it's clearer to refer to equality directly not to equity, which can also be defined as the monetary value of property... i.e. to finish the freudian slip you could have meant "The left is interested in equity(profiting) vs equity(equality). "

Progressive vs liberal as I've recently been informed is basically equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity. A progressive demands x% employee's by race/gender/etc where a liberal demands equal opportunity for all and let the best athlete's win.