COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 400

starting strength gym
Page 400 of 1758 FirstFirst ... 3003503903983994004014024104505009001400 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 17577

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #3991
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5

    Default

    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I can’t avoid the cliche thought that the instant-social media platforms are forcing unstable oscillations through positive feedback. It amplifies peoples uncertainties. Seems to me all involved powr-players would think and act differently if they were forced to live with their own quiet thoughts for longer than a moment.
    Strong argument made here that social media amplified hysteria is (unlike COVID) a true existential threat to humanity.

  2. #3992
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    220

  3. #3993
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Anyone else following this CHAZ thing in Seattle? Reality TV is missing a short lived gold mine here. This mess couldn't be funnier if it was scripted. They took a portion of first world America, and in days have declined to the third world. They had their food supplies raided by homeless people who took it and ran, their figurehead leader was banished by a sex abuse scandal, and now a guy has showed up with his buddies and guns and is basically making himself the police force there. The only reason it still exists is because Seattle politicians are scared of the optics of sending in cops to forcibly deal with people who are so pathetic.

  4. #3994
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    But your logic eats itself. The colonists tore down the statues of their British overlords, the "winners" today are tearing down the statues of the historical losers who have been used by their descendants to perpetuate an angry exclusion of those tearing down those statues. New winners in town and I guess you have no quarrel with them according to your argument. Those wishing to fly their confederate flags should consider themselves consigned to the dustbin of history and suck it.
    You are assuming that the children tearing down the statues now are going to win.

    And from NYC Health, here is an excellent overview of the history of The Pandemic: COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health

  5. #3995
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Village of Afton, Virginia
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Anyone else following this CHAZ thing in Seattle? Reality TV is missing a short lived gold mine here. This mess couldn't be funnier if it was scripted. They took a portion of first world America, and in days have declined to the third world. They had their food supplies raided by homeless people who took it and ran, their figurehead leader was banished by a sex abuse scandal, and now a guy has showed up with his buddies and guns and is basically making himself the police force there. The only reason it still exists is because Seattle politicians are scared of the optics of sending in cops to forcibly deal with people who are so pathetic.
    To repeat what I said to the missus this morning, "If I saw this in a movie, I would think 'What a bunch of crap' and stop watching" Oh, how little I know.

  6. #3996
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ispeters View Post
    Strong argument made here that social media amplified hysteria is (unlike COVID) a true existential threat to humanity.
    This is excellent.

  7. #3997
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    the "winners" today are tearing down the statues of the historical losers who have been used by their descendants to perpetuate an angry exclusion of those tearing down those statues.

    I'm sorry but a statement like that can only be made by someone who has been thoroughly brainwashed to hate his own country since primary school, much like the Russian former KGB agent in that clip making the rounds described that anti-American forces would be trying to do to us.

    "Perpetuate an angry exclusion" is Afro-American Culture 101, Ivory Tower BS that cannot be quantified or even properly analyzed so as to be debated - you have just coined an empty euphemism for "RACISM (!)."

    Look, I get it, your position is that if outcomes have not turned out equally, injustice has occurred.
    America promises (promised?) something else. My in-laws lived under the USSR and would be happy to tell you how such social experiments that pursue equal outcomes turn out.

    On this "perpetuation of racism" idea, I am quite curious, how are relations centuries later between descendants of former slaves and their governments in other countries that had slavery in their past (cause there are a ton of those!!)? Because Russia had serfdom, which I would essentially call a polite man's slavery, and I haven't witnessed here a dynamic of descendants of serfs claiming injustice and demanding relations as a political platform. Isn't Brazil full of [descendants of] former slaves as well? Not aware of huge political movements that create victimhood rackets to profit and win elections off of there, either.
    Are our American descendants of former slaves just singularly lucky enough to have a political party that embellishes victimhood thinking and creates a dichotomy of The Man vs. You to profit and win elections off of? I feel such sympathy for my fellow citizens who are Black, especially the less intelligent ones, as it seems they are being used as simple pawns in a disgusting long-term effort to tear apart our great country! :/

    JoeM, are you basing your claim on some kind of data? Because unequal results between your "perpetuators of angry exclusion" and your "winners" of today can, I bet, be explained by other causal factors, and the racism(!) you see is only correlative.

    (Coincidentally, I was a rather rabid Liberal myself, raised quite effectively by my dear father who at least lived the principles that he preached. It's hilarious now for me to admit that I even marched with the crazies for one of those GW Bush protests in NYC (maybe you were wi"perpetuators of angry exclusion" and th me there, muntz??)!!
    But when I studied abroad in Russia, I saw how so many Russians made something of themselves, despite incredible hardship and the odds stacked attached against them, and heard very few but the oldest complain about the collapse stealing their futures (and, coincidentally, this fondness for the now-gone USSR system is not being passed on to future generations). The "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" idea started to become real for me-that, presented with even a modicum of opportunity, one can overcome family history, external hardship, etc., etc. to build success for oneself.
    And just like that, the Liberal Pillar Belief, that we are victims of our circumstances, for which others must atone so that JUSTICE can be attained, was pretty much history for me.
    THAT was my red pill moment!)

  8. #3998
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    To repeat what I said to the missus this morning, "If I saw this in a movie, I would think 'What a bunch of crap' and stop watching" Oh, how little I know.
    Isn't it amazing?

  9. #3999
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are assuming that the children tearing down the statues now are going to win.

    And from NYC Health, here is an excellent overview of the history of The Pandemic: COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health
    Two weeks, Rip! Two weeks! You won't be laughing when the authorities are bulldozing piles of the dead into mass graves.

  10. #4000
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    301

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    John Cleese has raised the question, will they will want to ruin the statues of Ancient Greece, next? As the Greeks believed you could not have a cultured and civilised society which was not based on slavery.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •