starting strength gym
Page 409 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3093593994074084094104114194595099091409 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    The number I've heard thrown around is 4% for how large a minority group can get before it stops assimilating and starts competing.

I think true freedom of association would lead to more ethno-states, but you'd likely have some successful integrated ones too. The lack of this causes much more tension than necessary. Lots of people don't like lots of other people and they manage to avoid conflict by just not associating.
    Any idea where they are throwing out 4% from? I have never been able to figure even a rough estimate myself.

I wonder how much of this is hardwired into the DNA of humans. Like many relationships, the bell curve and basic statistics seems to come into play; homogeneous nations are often very welcoming to foreigners when there is a small number of them. It is desirable genetically for a population to have a certain percentage recurring admixture from outside genetic groups (very rough estimate based on my research is 10%-25% from a closely related, but separate ethnicity, 1%-10% from a moderately related ethnic group and ~.1%-1% from a distant ethnic group.) However, at a certain point, they become a genetic threat. Too much outbreeding (higher than above estimates) begets the negative effects of mutational loading while also erasing the highly beneficial evolutionary adaptations produced by inbreeding.

The effect should be obvious from looking at other animals, like dogs; One hunting dog bred into a pack of herding dogs could introduce a beneficial trait that strengthens the pack, but several hunting dogs quickly bred into the pack of herding dogs will produce dogs that cannot hunt or herd.
    A lone wolf from a different pack may be adopted, but a group of wolves will be attacked and run out of the territory, because they pose an existential threat.

Genetic assimilation of ethnicities is a very very long process; maybe 100,000 years or more for humans to completely assimilate with Neanderthals? Are we really the grandchildren of Neanderthals with our 2% heritage, or did we breed them out of existence?

And, of course we have many humans, like our racial New Yorker, Muntz. Is he white? Yes. Is he American? Yes. Is he Jewish? Also, yes. Does he get to decide? Nope.
    Similarly, most Hispanic and Latino Americans average over 2/3 Spanish ancestry. African Americans average 25% European ancestry. They have a foot in both worlds and interests in both tribes, regardless of if they ever know about it or choose to recognize it.

it IS about control. Watch the left explain in 2 minutes why you should wear a mask:

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Eastern Europe is looking pretty good right now
    I don't know about that. Hungary is banning the sale of guns in the next 3 years and has indefinitely postponed their elections. It was a lost cause from the start (1989) The people were already used to the giant (welfare) state and now we see how hard it is for a people to remain free when the state controls every aspect of their life. THIS should be the first argument that gets brought up, every time a leftists argues to expand the state. Some other eastern european countries (Romania, Bulgaria) are so corrupt that the people are defacto free, but for how long? I don't think I have to tell you that Russia isn't a free country.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    I like Crowder, but he embodies the kind of centrist, conservative-right position which provides absolutely zero real-life opposition to the madness he just encountered on the street. He has a million clever lines about it, and can explain why he's more rational, makes the guy look like an unethical arsehole, and proves how the black guy is actually more illiberal than himself ("YOU people?! That sounds racist!" with a shocked look to camera). We are well past that point in time now. All of it is completely futile when face-to-face with an unstoppable, irrational and violent force such as this, which is motivated by emotions not empirical facts or rational arguments.

The conservative-right have chosen their egalitarian hill to die on, and will smugly puff away on their cigars, insisting they are still right and winning the argument as our civilisation is totally subsumed by these politically weaponized losers. Just listen to the graffiti guy's jealousy, bitterness and anti-white anger - the product of a lifetime's worth of corporate media and state education system indoctrination, not to mention the feminist ideas, degenerate pop culture and welfare policies responsible for black single mothers representing ~80% of all black mothers in the US. When the totality of our media, institutions and corporations all back that black fella's actions, and share his message too, how on earth does Crowder think he is going to touch the feelings of anyone, or argue his way to an understanding of truth?
    That doesn't change the fact that Crowder IS right. He does what he does to convince some reasonable people, which is all it takes for the people of the US to remain free. At least until the next social media outrage event.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    When studying novels, my high school teacher would yell at me "Kitsuma, you are stuck in the plot level!".

Matt, I think you are stuck in the plot level here. Like Covid19 wasn't really about a virus, this isn't really about Race.

This is 100% about Control. They NEED for you to focus on race. Don't fall for it.
    It's not an either or thing.

There are certainly folks behind the scenes who are pulling everyone's strings a bit, but the various grievance groups are sincere in wanting to off white males and Western culture, but they are too stupid to know that they are either next or that they are only going to survive because they are better pawns.

I think it is reasonable to think that if someone dealt with the behind the scenes folks the rabble would still keep fighting at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Do you want to know the best way to get control of a nation? Turn it from being a relatively homogeneous nation into a multi-ethnic territory and divide it from within.
    But, but my teacher told me diversity is a STRENGTH!!!!!

(think about our definition of strength - application of force against an external resistance: what better applies force against external resitance? A diverse group with disparate interests, motivations and desired outcomes or a unified, monolithic force with one direction? Seems obvious.

Its not just fake news. Its fake leaders, fake religion, fake government. Its all built on lies, ergo its fake.

Back to the original topic, long but good:

Putting Facts Together: What They WON'T Do in [Market-Ticker]

Could it be that this bug is primarily transmitted via fecal/oral? Denninger has been on it from the beginning and I think he makes a good argument.

I highly recommend that you read this. Very important information, hindsight being 20/20.

Homeless people appeared at first to not get the virus at all. This made absolutely no sense and I talked about it at the time as a major confounding piece of data; I could not explain the apparent lack of infections. Subsequently, serology and mass-testing of shelters later proved that in fact damn near all of said people tested were in fact positive for either antibodies or the virus itself, meaning virtually all of them either had it or have had it. We originally thought they didn't get it because they didn't get sick! But they sure did get the virus -- they just didn't get sick enough from it to require medical attention. I note that "getting the virus" but not getting sick is good, not bad. In fact it's very good not just for you but for everyone around you; provided you get some amount of immunity out of that the benefit to the general public is considerable. Among said homeless people nearly zero of them have died of Covid-19.
    Prison populations continue to report extremely high attack rates and yet again post near-zero serious case and fatality rates. We keep seeing huge "bursts" of reported cases in various states which are prisoner test batches that show up all at once -- yet what we don't see are prisoners dropping dead or ending up in the ICU with the bug. Note that incarcerated individuals are materially more likely than the general population to have lived an extraordinarily unhealthy lifestyle prior to incarceration, including drug and alcohol abuse. Therefore you would expect them to have much higher mortality statistics from Covid-19 than the general population but this has yet to occur in any prison anywhere in the United States.
    Protesters don't get it either despite ignoring "social distancing" writ large and often or even usually ignoring masks too. Never mind that if you're gassed by the cops you cough like a son-of-a-bitch so if you have anything now so does everyone within 20' of you. The transmission rate should be much higher than the statistical average for everyone in the state if gathering together in close contact for hours at a time without masks transmitted the bug. The data says it does not; their positive rate of 1.4% is less than half the index rate (average) of 3.7% in the state of Minnesota.
    And this is very interesting:
    Age is not, standing alone, a material mortality factor in this disease. New York's death data proves this; there is no specific correlation with age to death rate. A shockingly-low number of New Yorkers of seriously advanced age without any of the listed morbidity factors have died. It's not being old that gets you -- it's being unhealthy in specific, discernable ways.
    And the current NYC data: COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health

My mother called us this morning to say that her GP advised her to stay in until July as it was his assessment that it’s “going to get bad” in the near future. We had dinner over there for the first time in two months this past Sunday and the first time since my daughter was born at the end of April. She has Type 2 and a heart issue. He said she’d be basically fucked if she got it.

I’m an engineer. I understand statistics. I’m really trying hard to lose my nerve of not being a scared, irrationally cautious person.

I just can’t deal with seeing my mom so terrified.

He'll be telling her that in 2024, along with telling her not to deadlift. Good luck to her, and make her wash her hands a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Back to the original topic, long but good:

Putting Facts Together: What They WON'T Do in [Market-Ticker]

Could it be that this bug is primarily transmitted via fecal/oral? Denninger has been on it from the beginning and I think he makes a good argument.
    No joke, I have heard from waaaay back (like january) from some spots that this thing can in fact be transmitted by things like farts. But I don't know if that's the thing that accounts for the wildly different outcomes among certain groups. I am still leaning toward diet/lifestyle being big on it. For example, prisons are brought up. While yes, many prisoners are drug addicts prior to (and even during) their prison stays, very often they exercise quite a bit, and are often fed, believe it or not, a pretty healthy, well designed diet, at least from what I've read. Homeless people may not end up eating the best diet, but it is probably sparse enough that they aren't loading up the same way the "average american" diet does. Japan also doesn't have the "western diet" or anything like it.

There's been a lot of research into dietary causes of inflammatory response that shows certain factors do cause major uptick in inflammation. Some have even theorized that inflammation is what causes arterial plaque buildup from cholesterol, not the cholesterol itself. I don't know how true that is, but the medical consensus seems to be things like refined sugars, refined grains, saturated fat, and trans fat, all cause big upticks in inflammation. What causes COVID-18's pneumonia? Inflammation. What are some of the leading comorbidities for COVID-19 (aside from just being old, a factor that can't be controlled by anyone as much as celebrities keep trying)? Hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. All things not only tied to inflammation, but also consuming diets too rich in those inflammation-causing things. The disease seems to have hit the US particularly badly. What is the common US diet like? I don't think anyone can deny that those types of things are richly represented in the American diet. The disease seems to hit low-income "communities of color" harder than others. What do people in those communities, on average, consume every day? Probably a whole lot of food and drink rich with those inflammatory agents. Where in the country does it seem to have hit the worst? New York, particularly the city. Now I know New York has more than its fair share of health nuts, but it's also very popular for things like pizza, and people living and working there on average probably eat tons of it and other foods like it, washing them down with tasty, sugary sodas. I'm not an "expert" with rigorous research studies in hand, but come on, this should be obvious to everyone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    it IS about control. Watch the left explain in 2 minutes why you should wear a mask:

Don't think for yourself. Just trust the top officials.

Sam Seder doesn't understand the difference between a government which holds a monopoly on threat of violence and companies which provide voluntary interaction.
    It's fitting that he voiced a shitty food inspector who abused his power on Bob's Burgers.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com