starting strength gym
Page 449 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3493994394474484494504514594995499491449 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,490 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sorry to bore ya, David. If it's all about culture and environment, then there must be a certain income bracket in which African Americans start beating/shooting/stabbing/stealing/raping/drug dealing at disproportionately higher rates? If you don't agree with the left, and their systemic argument that most cops/judges (even black ones) are racist, then what exactly is the problem with black culture, or American culture and what exactly causes this?

My first change would be a moratorium on all immigration (Net Zero). Agreed?

Re: demographic change... If you truly don't find anything ethically troubling with the planned, systematic demographic replacement of the native populations of European lands, then there's not much else left to discuss. It fits the dictionary definition of genocide, though. Likewise, if demographic replacement doesn't trouble you in the melting-pot of self-interested individuals that is the USA, then that's fine too (I can understand that, at least, given your history). Describing what I want as a "whites-only tree house" is loaded though, and misses the point that until quite recently we were all allowed to have an ancestral homeland. It wasn't taboo, or a silly idea. It was normal and natural. In 2020, the only people who are not allowed to talk about wanting this are white people. No other race is treated this way.

I think balkanization is inevitable and the option of peaceful separation would be preferable to anarchic violence. I don't want ethno-nationalism because I think my race is culturally and genetically superior to others, I want it because I can see that multiculturalism + leftist identity politics simply isn't working and unfortunately there will be no way around an escalation of violence if we remain on this path.

Orania, while not a perfect Utopia...
    ‘Everyone in Orania is woke’: A journey to SA’s m...

'An indictment of South Africa': whites-only town Orania is booming | Cities | The Guardian

.... is preferable to the alternative:
    South Africa (Warning: graphic, bloody): https://twitter.com/Sillas69/status/1277014890901835777

Here's a nice photo as a reward for being bored:
    https://twitter.com/wayotworld/statu...275264/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Careful, Rip... he's got a model. And people also die.

Meanwhile, as cities are in a flurry to pass more mandatory mask ordinance (but NONE of them feature the same rules, and ALL are admittedly unenforceable), our hospitalization of patients with SARS-COV-2 has shot up from 881 to whopping 1,021 in just DAYS, but hey... at least our available beds in the state has increased by around 500.
    Maybe this line of reasoning has been brought up earlier and I missed it but... Now that hospitals aren't shuttered, and now that more testing is available, it stands to reason that ANY hospitalized person would likely be tested for COVID-19 whether they're there for that or not. Is there any delineation between a car accident victim who shows up and subsequently tests positive versus an 85 year old man who shows up unable to breathe and tests positive? Or are they all just "COVID-19 Hospitalizations?" This is strikingly similar to what happened all over the country when people were dying from heroin overdoses, but tested positive for COVID-19 and were coded as such.

A person afflicted with a viral fear of the virus asked me the other day to explain why the NY Times is now saying "the average age of hospitalizations is now people in their late 30's." When I pointed out that the average of the US Population is ~38 years old, she completely didn't get it. Just went right over her head.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    This is something that I have been both bewildered, humored and now disturbed by. When I was in the lab, I worked with viruses regularly. None that cause serious infectious disease though but we still had to prep in order to go in. Amazingly we did not wear cloth masks. We wore much more fortified protective equipment. And all the work was done under a hood that was cleaned by UV and 100% ethanol. I also worked shoulder to shoulder with scientists working with HIV.

I've tried to explain this to a select few friends who are all in on the mask ideology and was immediately labeled a conspiracy theorist (they know my background.) Almost everyone I see wearing a mask, whether cloth or bandanna, paper, or construction, are wearing it loosely or outright incorrectly (nose or mouth exposed.) Even worn as intended, facial hair and the gaps around the nose and mouth render it moot.
    Masks aren’t the end all be all, they just help. Just because they don’t reduce your chance to practically 0 like wearing a positive pressure suit doesn’t make them moot. The vast majority of stuff leaving your mouth and nose goes into the mask and sure, a small amount will go outside through cracks. But it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing game. We wear masks at work when assembling things in clean environments, not because it’s required (only class 1000 for most stuff) but it’s easy and it helps and it’d be stupid as hell to waste 2 weeks finding out your parts are too dirty to use because someone was too lazy to wear a mask. Also yeah, I agree that people who wear them incorrectly are dumb and it’s pointless in that case.

I guess my point is: masks help. Do they help a lot? I don’t know. Should everyone be mandated to wear them while out in public? Nah. Will I wear one walking down my street, or driving my car? Lol no. Will I wear one if I’m going to a crowded place, like a store, or a park I know is crowded? Yes. Do I see this as a massive affront on my civil liberties? Nah. Personally I see the partisanship, fearmongering, and just general stupidity from both sides as a much bigger threat to the fabric of our country and to our society than masks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Don't be. The two statements are talking about 2 different things. Dr. Gold is referring to the particle size of the masks/virus and the CDC is saying that the carrier for the particle is spittle which is much larger. The first is certainly true, the second is mostly true (meaning that the virus may also be nominally spread in other ways.)

The latter does not negate the fact that masks are essentially ineffectual. Yes, they will catch some of the larger particles if you are hacking, sneezing, talking or raising your voice (lol at that one), but gaps around the masks will let them pass freely. Masks with large pore sizes can actually vaporize spittle thereby releasing smaller particles increasing the dispersion of the virus through said gaps.

Guess what other viruses spread mostly by respiratory droplet? Guess which one of those we do not have a mask requirement for?
    Personally, I can't say I feel strongly either way. But I can't help but assume that the CDC (which is directly over seen by the President and a Covid task force personally overseen by Pence) would be a more credible source than Dr Gold. I took a quick look, and I can't find any publications of any kind by Dr Gold, and I don't see any evidence of her having experience with this particular topic. I'm not sure why she's writing an article on it.

From Mike Pence “If your local officials, in consultation with the state, are directing you to wear a mask, we encourage everyone to wear a mask in the affected areas. And where you can’t maintain social distancing, wearing a mask is just a good idea,” Pence said. “And it will, we know, from experience, will slow the spread of the coronavirus.”

The CDC has several citations regarding the effectiveness (purported) of masks. Gold's article has no citations. A few abstract are pasted below. Some of these papers are new. Some are old (pre-covid). They are published by many different countries.

Abstract
    The surge of patients in the pandemic of COVID-19 caused by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 may overwhelm the medical systems of many countries. Mask-wearing and handwashing can slow the spread of the virus, but currently, masks are in shortage in many countries, and timely handwashing is often impossible. In this study, the efficacy of three types of masks and instant hand wiping was evaluated using the avian influenza virus to mock the coronavirus. Virus quantification was performed using real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Previous studies on mask-wearing were reviewed. The results showed that instant hand wiping using a wet towel soaked in water containing 1.00% soap powder, 0.05% active chlorine, or 0.25% active chlorine from sodium hypochlorite removed 98.36%, 96.62%, and 99.98% of the virus from hands, respectively. N95 masks, medical masks, and homemade masks made of four-layer kitchen paper and one-layer cloth could block 99.98%, 97.14%, and 95.15% of the virus in aerosols. Medical mask-wearing which was supported by many studies was opposed by other studies possibly due to erroneous judgment. With these data, we propose the approach of mask-wearing plus instant hand hygiene (MIH) to slow the exponential spread of the virus. This MIH approach has been supported by the experiences of seven countries in fighting against COVID-19. Collectively, a simple approach to slow the exponential spread of SARS-CoV-2 was proposed with the support of experiments, literature review, and control experiences.

Abstract
    We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.

Conclusions: The arrestance of airborne vegetative cells and endospores by surgical masks worn by simulated contagious patients supports surgical mask use as one of the recommended cough etiquette interventions to limit the transmission of airborne infectious agents.

Abstract
    We assessed the in vivo efficacy of surgical and N95 (respirator) masks to filter reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)-detectable virus when worn correctly by patients with laboratory-confirmed acute influenza. Of 26 patients with a clinical diagnosis of influenza, 19 had the diagnosis confirmed by RT-PCR, and 9 went on to complete the study. Surgical and N95 masks were equally effective in preventing the spread of PCR-detectable influenza.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Careful, Rip... he's got a model. And people also die.

Meanwhile, as cities are in a flurry to pass more mandatory mask ordinance (but NONE of them feature the same rules, and ALL are admittedly unenforceable), our hospitalization of patients with SARS-COV-2 has shot up from 881 to whopping 1,021 in just DAYS, but hey... at least our available beds in the state has increased by around 500. I imagine from all of the people dying so rapidly, and not because people are avoiding seeking medical treatment for all of those lesser ailments and illnesses. Like chest pains or whatever.
    We are reduced to essentially the practice of using a pomander to warding off the plague as was done during outbreaks in the Middle Ages. Because: Science!

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Fauci says it’s going to be very disturbing. No predictions, just very disturbing.

As if our new common life isn’t already very disturbing? I suppose it wouldn’t be, if we suspended critical faculties and just accepted it.

And if this is a war, there’s no Hitler to topple. There are no clear exit criteria.

But there is a Hydra. The various bits of hysteria can be variously rearranged to continue this state of affairs for many years, if not indefinitely.
    Timely...I've read the first three paragraphs, and am already angry......so I stopped reading.

Dr. Fauci's recurring disease 'nightmares' often don't materialize | Just The News

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Had a conversation with my newly coronafied brother: if there's no cure for this thing, and overwhelming hospitals is not a factor anymore, aren't attempts to restart the lockdowns and "reduce the spread" with masks just extending the pain? Wouldn't it be better to do this old school chicken pox-style and just get the virus as quickly as possible so we can get the whole ordeal over with?

I realize that a lot of people involved in this have ulterior motives, but as an average American who just wants to get on with life it seems like the most sensible solution is to expose myself to this thing as quickly as possible.
    I can tell he doesn't live in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    Oh I agree, he has. But he could end most of the mask madness by sticking to it and actively reinforcing it/talking about it on one of the national press conferences. But he's disingenuous, a trait he is very familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    COVID-19
    That Texas daily-death data should be viewed with the 3-day smoother disabled.

Also, why is there a large persistent oscillation in the data? Is this a processing artifact? I think I've seen it in other public health datasets recently.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Watch this Youtube video from 2014 where journalist Harry Vox reads from a R*ckefeller Document from 2010 detailing a "scenario" or "simulation" that is eerily similar to our current plight with this Virus:
    Investigative journalist Harry Vox warns against coming lockdowns & quarantines...in 2014 (start at 74 seconds)

You can read along with him at page 18:
    PDF Document - Scenarios for the future of Technology and International development: Rockefeller Foundation - 2010

The section he reads is "Lock Step: A world of tighter top-down government control and more authoritarian leadership, with limited innovation and growing citizen pushback"

It's all been carefully planned out for us. And, I expect if we don't comply, Mother Nature will spring a more deadly virus on us....followed by "we told you so" to silence the Rips of the world....because Mother Nature wants these controls for our own safety.

911 Déjà vu much?
    I'm not conspiracy minded, so can't agree that any of this was planned (possible, but very unlikely to me; I'll read those links soon). Probably "we" fell into this through incompetence and fear, the bureaucratic machine was started, and it maintains the momentum. In other words, the shift to a new abnormal is largely unconscious and ir-rational. A little like The Prisoner (McGoohan, 1967), where the Prisoner is #6. The Administrators are #2, who work for an unseen, and I think non-existent, #1.

Pawns of our own devices?