• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Uncle Joe View Post
    And a donut:
    YouTube
    The economy still works!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Immune systems atrophy.
    Interesting concept that I had not considered and do not know much about.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    The Chinese government is completely totalitarian. I lived there for a year. When I taught my students I was forbidden from ever discussing Tiananmen Square, Tibet, or Taiwan. The three T's. Gatherings beyond a small number are illegal without approval. People text and email using codewords because they know their communications are watched. They routinely lock up their own people for speaking out against them. I couldn't watch the Hobbit until it had been out for months because it had to be approved by a censorship board.
    My experience is that your post understates the level of totalitarian control.

These articles are interesting reads. It appears many articles that cite them are suffering censorship. Form your own conclusions:

Inside the Chinese lab poised to study world's most dangerous pathogens : Nature News & Comment

Engineered bat virus stirs debate over risky research : Nature News & Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    In NYC, doctors expect active cases to peak in about 3 weeks. It took roughly the same duration in Hubei province, after lockdown was implemented. In Hong Kong (since you don't trust mainland China's reporting), restaurants and bars are filling up again.

The bitter pill, by these estimates, is about a month of lockdown - a single billing period for a gym. This is bad news, but it is not economic depression.
    I have talked to several small business owners who have had to let go or furlough the majority of their employees and believe it is unlikely their businesses will survive. I have also talked to several people who are currently furloughed or have lost their jobs and have no way of paying their bills.
    It is already very very bad.

This is bad news, but it is not economic depression.
    Not a depression, it's very likely to be the end of the economic and monetary system we live in. Check this out, the supply and demand cycle has stopped, worldwide. All the talk about recessions and depressions is contingent upon the supply and demand cycle, which has to keep going in order for the world to work as it has been for hundreds of years. There is no precedent for this. Western central banks are printing money like never before, with interest rates already at record lows, every single company dependent on production of goods is essentially done, and there are no services since nothing is open. You're either gonna have a complete global transformation of EVERYTHING or else no country is gonna be able to stop revolutions.

I wouldn't worry about recessions and depressions, the biggest issue right now is continuing food production to feed the world at a time when everybody is panicking about lost income and loan payments, because no country in the world is self sufficient in food production.

A man before his time:
    YouTube

The bitter pill, by these estimates, is about a month of lockdown - a single billing period for a gym. This is bad news, but it is not economic depression.
    The pill is far more bitter Shiva. Our current economic system isn't built to be able to just pause and resume.

A month without income? I'm already promising to help a friend out, they work hard, but live month to month. A month without income, is a month were they make the decision between food and shelter. Medicine and healthcare isn't even something in their world. And since their business relies on other folks discretionary cash, that means a month is going to be more like six months to a year before they recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think the healthcare system is a single piece of the economic puzzle, along with the energy sector, food, housing, and the services industries. I think it's spectacularly stupid to consider it by itself, as though no other part of the economy is worthy of consideration, or interacts with healthcare. I think the indirect effects of a pandemic on the healthcare system will be dwarfed by the direct effects on the rest of the economy, if it's handled the way these morons are doing it now, in a shameless attempt to cover their own miserable asses from criticism. I think it will be tough on the sick anyway, and will be made incalculably tougher if their families are destitute and they themselves don't have a job or a life to go back to after they heal up. There is talk of a 25% drop in GDP this quarter. Do you have any idea what this means??? This may well be like 28 Days Later without the fast zombies.

And to the nutless political scum and their partners in the media that are letting this happen to us: You will regret this for the rest of your lives.
    And furthermore, if this is to be the new procedure every time a new contagion arises, we have flushed civilization down the toilet. This is crazy as hell, and you're scaring the kids.

And to the nutless political scum and their partners in the media that are letting this happen to us: You will regret this for the rest of your lives.
    No they won't. Certainly not directly: the set of people who are pushing the hardest for economic shutdown are also the ones with jobs/livelihoods that are best insulated from the direct consequences: politicians, celebrities, journalists, pundits, white collars who can work remotely, etc.

Even indirectly they will be able to attribute the misery to some other cause: poorly applied fiscal stimulus, greedy corporations, etc. They'll never gather the courage and honesty to look back and think "I was wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    It occurs to me that people are going to get sick when re entering society. I spent a year at the South Pole and 100% of us got sick when they opened the station after 9 months of isolation. Immune systems atrophy.

Is this being considered? The most vulnerable, of course, are the elderly with pre existing conditions. Anyone know how this works and what the time frames are for immune systems to hibernate?
    This^ and I wonder about vitamin D, which appears to be important for our immune systems, which it helps to be outside a little.
    This may or may not be ONE factor why the flu is seasonal.
    Makes you wonder about cloudy places like Seattle, or Wuhan (clouded by pollution; don't get start on the lungs/smoking/air pollution thing)....or places where sunlight rarely reaches the ground because of the matrix of tall buildings. And with all that, then insert something about Northern latitudes. And mix in the fact the USA is already pretty awful already about being outside during middle of the day because of our lifestyle.
    Did I mention solar winter? and how these things probably take a while to have an effect on your body (maybe one month or two after solstice)?
    Popping a bunch of pills (vitamins) seems dubious, like always.

And then couple all that with the stress and fear of being cooped up inside, watching your retirement accounts dwindle and the world economy collapse on the TV/Net.
    Excess "stress" has be shown the blunt our immune systems.

I also wonder about multi-family building construction in Italy, Wuhan, New York City, and other metropolises.
    Like when people say they live in an apartment and/or condo, it might be different than the apartments that are around where I live (suburbia)?
    Do many of the living units in those buildings share the same ventilation system, like some hotels do?
    Or at least all of the interior hallways, stairwells, elevators, and common areas do.

Sunlight is shown to destroy viruses. There's no sunlight (UVA,B,C) indoors.
    Predicted Inactivation of Viruses of Relevance to Biodefense by Solar Radiation
    Sunlight or, more specifically, solar UV radiation (UV) acts as the principal natural virucide in the environment. UV radiation kills viruses by chemically modifying their genetic material, DNA and RNA. The most effective wavelength for inactivation, 260 nm (55), falls in the UVC range, so-named to differentiate it from near-UV found in ground-level sunlight, i.e., the UVB and UVA portions of the spectrum, 290 to 320 nm and 320 to 380 nm, respectively (51). Nucleic acids are damaged also by UVB and UVA but with lower efficiency than by UVC radiation (64).
    Seems to me certain aspects of the lockdowns protocol have some unintended negative consequences.

Idiots

And furthermore, if this is to be the new procedure every time a new contagion arises, we have flushed civilization down the toilet. This is crazy as hell, and you're scaring the kids.
    It will remain the procedure if the american people continue to have the gall to elect someone not approved by the established powers that be. That is really what this is all about. Fckn ridiculous.

Maybe - just maybe - this ordeal can be used to eventually help bring the whole rotten temple down on their heads.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    No they won't.
    Our job is to make them regret it.