starting strength gym
Page 470 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3704204604684694704714724805205709701470 ... LastLast
Results 4,691 to 4,700 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post

I don't care if I catch it: "Wear a mask, it protects others."
    Well, you might catch it.
    And you might have a bad reaction to the virus.
    You might wind up going to hospital, and displacing someone you had a different outlook on things.
    Getting sick costs quite a bit of money, you, your insurance, and now the gov't.
    We don't care that you don't care .... when we have to mop your mess.

I have no symptoms: "Wear a mask, it protects others"
    You could be infected and asymptomatic, or PRESYMPTOMATIC.
    Symptoms are irrelevant (at this point).

I tested negative: "Wear a mask, it protects others"
    Tests have been known to be false negative.
    Your test only validates your negative-ness at the exact time the machine spits out the results.
    You may have been infected after the fact.

------------------------------------------------

"Shut up and do what you are told."
    Yes, the gov't has to apply this^ in certain situations.....because people can't be trusted 100% to make the right decisions because they are stupid and/or misinformed (see the first half of the post for an example).

Somebody else posted this link a while back. Totals are updated every Wednesday.

COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just play along, right? Do what's expected of you, right? Even if it's bullshit, right? Do something, even if it's wrong. This has gotten lots of people in lots of trouble over the years.
    I'm not sure how you KNOW its bullshit. You have a guess that it's not as useful as some people are saying. You've posted an article by a Dr. Gold. But Dr. Gold is as much a politician than a Doctor, provided no citations, and her resume does not inspire confidence. There are numerous articles cited on these pages. Some support the idea of masks, others not so much. But all are laboratory tests, and provide no insight into real-world usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Especially now. Clamping down on arbitrarily-decreed "disagreeable" content has really picked up momentum. The body count of online video creators and social media accounts getting yanked down is staggering.
    We know this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    I'm not sure how you KNOW its bullshit. You have a guess that it's not as useful as some people are saying. You've posted an article by a Dr. Gold. But Dr. Gold is as much a politician than a Doctor, provided no citations, and her resume does not inspire confidence. There are numerous articles cited on these pages. Some support the idea of masks, others not so much. But all are laboratory tests, and provide no insight into real-world usefulness.
    It's bullshit because it doesn't matter. Here's how you know: COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics

You will say that a new spike is coming. Fine. It is merely a matter of control. Wear the damn mask, alsbos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Well, you might catch it.
    And you might have a bad reaction to the virus.
    You might wind up going to hospital, and displacing someone you had a different outlook on things.
    Getting sick costs quite a bit of money, you, your insurance, and now the gov't.
    We don't care that you don't care .... when we have to mop your mess.

You could be infected and asymptomatic, or PRESYMPTOMATIC.
    Symptoms are irrelevant (at this point).

Tests have been known to be false negative.
    Your test only validates your negative-ness at the exact time the machine spits out the results.
    You may have been infected after the fact.

------------------------------------------------

Yes, the gov't has to apply this^ in certain situations.....because people can't be trusted 100% to make the right decisions because they are stupid and/or misinformed (see the first half of the post for an example).
    Who dies from COVID-19, fulcrum? You poor fearful little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    As Pence said, if required by the state, you should wear face masks. And as Pence said, from real-world experience they know that face-masks work (at least to some extent). I assume Pence says this due to reviewing a number of different studies. I also assume Pence says this because he's under pressure to improve the business climate in the USA. And as linked below, its believed that a facemask mandate will improve the GDP.

Face Masks and GDP

As I'm sure you know, it doesn't take much for a business to go under. My wifes gym lost 30% of their customers over the april-march time frame, and after 20 years the owner just closed it down. He had been running it for 20 years. Just my opinion (well, actually not just mine), but turning the face mask issue into a political one (which is what you are doing) does not make economic sense. As the economist pointed out, facemasks provide the ability (partly scientific, and partly emotional) to avoid closures, loosen restrictions, and give more people confidence. As Rand Paul said in a recent hearing with Fauci 'we need a little optimism'. He didn't say 'we need more bitching about every fucking thing anyone can think of'.

You could always compromise though. You could wear a mask, but NOT wear a shirt while shopping. This would prevent the spread of covid AND show off your gainz. By the way, why do we, when its hot out, wear a shirt inside of stores? And why are shoes required?
    Who gives a shit what Pence says? There are people in this thread analyzing the exact same articles and data these idiots are using to make policy decisions is over. The internet has effectively destroyed the credibility of these people, which is exactly why the country is currently imploding.

My county of Ohio has now jumped headfirst into the mask mandate, and word is that we're going to go back on lockdown anyways, so what's the fucking point anymore?

In unrelated news, after listening to Rip's podcast this past weekend I have been researching property and career options in South Dakota. Aberdeen seems like a nice place to live, and about as far away as I can get from the coast or any major city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We know this to be true.

It's bullshit because it doesn't matter. Here's how you know: COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics

You will say that a new spike is coming. Fine. It is merely a matter of control. Wear the damn mask, alsbos.

Who dies from COVID-19, fulcrum? You poor fearful little guy.
    Exactly. Death rate is essentially 0, long-term damage and severe cases are extreme outliers. The pandemic is over and has been for at least several weeks.

In other news, how well is the mask mandate being follow in Texas? Ohio did the same thing, and my gym put out a FB post saying that they will not enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    The pandemic is over and has been for at least several weeks.
    False. The pandemic is here until November 4th. ;-)

Face masks, more tradition than protection.

Why Face Masks Don’t Work: A Revealing Review - Oral Health Group

Gyms open on the 25th in the UK. Just got to dig out that old ABC suit and oxygen tanks-do I need to include the Oxygen tanks in the squat weight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Face masks, more tradition than protection.

Why Face Masks Don’t Work: A Revealing Review - Oral Health Group

Gyms open on the 25th in the UK. Just got to dig out that old ABC suit and oxygen tanks-do I need to include the Oxygen tanks in the squat weight ?
    I read what you posted, at least one of the studies he cites directly contradicts his conclusion. I took a look at citation 18 "A Quantitative Assessment of the Efficacy of Surgical and N95 Masks to Filter Influenza Virus in Patients With Acute Influenza Infection"

They demonstrated that surgical masks and N95 masks are "equally effective when used for short periods to prevent the spread of infection. Our findings support current guidelines recommending surgical or procedural masks be worn by patients with suspected influenza to limit viral dissemination to others"

This work has been partially replicated by others:

Influenza Virus Aerosols in Human Exhaled Breath: Particle Size, Culturability, and Effect of Surgical Masks

The city of Houston just cancelled the GOP convention yet they allowed the funeral service of George Floyd to go on and also the mayor's big speech downtown went on.

I haven’t spoken yet in here, but enough is enough, and it is time for somebody to do something about this I say.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post

How?
    I doubt my laying out my line of thinking on this will overcome your outrage regarding SCOTUS' decision on the Electoral College, but here goes:

When even the leftist revisionist justices side with the strict construction of the Constitution with regard to the Electoral College, it seems highly unlikely that body will approve the tinkering dem-entrenched states are trying to slide in past the language in the article involved. Here's what the multi-state compact wants to do:

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is an agreement between ratifying states to award their electoral votes to the winner of the nationwide popular vote in each presidential election. The agreement would enter into effect once enough states joined the compact to represent the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency. MultiState | More States Join Interstate Compact to Bypass Electoral College
    Now if SCOTUS by unanimous decision says individual Electors are bound by the language of the Constitution, how do you think they will rule when states try to attempt the same thing by fiat?