starting strength gym
Page 472 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3724224624704714724734744825225729721472 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,720 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Fair enough. But the issue I have is doctors being interviewed on the news saying “YOUNG PEOPLE ARE DYING TOO! WE SEE IT EVERY DAY!” Well, of course they do. Where else would they be dying from COVID-19?

I don’t distrust your qualitative analysis. I’m not a medical professional and don’t pretend to be one. However, from a statistical standpoint, virtually 100% of the patients you (and other doctors) see are doing poorly. Yet, they are actually the very small minority of folks - the 1%, if you will.

The odds of shooting a blown lumbar disc across the room from a poorly executed deadlift are probably actually equivalent or slightly larger than this... Most doctors will tell you not to ever do deadlifts because they’re “dangerous.” We know this is almost certainly based on experiential observation and not in science. It’s just that people with blown discs from deadlifting poorly tend to show up to the doctor. Should we close deadlift platforms too?
    I was responding specifically to the covid/flu comparisons in the post above, and was not trying to defend or justify everything every doctor has ever said, especially doctors on TV.

I was saying it made sense to compare sick hospitalized covid patients to sick hospitalized flu patients, if you are trying to assess severity of covid illness vs flu illness. Nothing broader than that. It turns out usually in science and medicine that the more definitive the statement you want to make, the narrower it has to be

The chances of a young healthy person getting very sick from covid are very low. They are, however, significantly higher than the chances of a spinal disc being ejected during a deadlift. This is true both “in science” as you say and by experience. If a doctor tells you something you doubt, it’s appropriate to ask what evidence they’re basing their opinion on. If that request bothers them, find a new doctor, as that is a red flag. It’s good to be skeptical, but dumb to automatically doubt everything doctors say because you have heard some doctors say some dumb things. That would be like discrediting Rip because “expert coaches” on Instagram say provably dumb things. And if you only doubt people who draw conclusions you disagree with, your thinking isn’t rigorous.

I once asked my PCP why he recommended Robitussin DM for my cold instead of other varieties of Robitussin. He told me it was because his grandmother always gave him DM when he was sick. I liked that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    The city of Houston just cancelled the GOP convention yet they allowed the funeral service of George Floyd to go on and also the mayor's big speech downtown went on.

I haven’t spoken yet in here, but enough is enough, and it is time for somebody to do something about this I say.
    It's madness. We're witnessing a crowd of millions in full panic mode. I don't think there's anything for individuals to do at this point other than to put plywood over the metaphorical windows and ride the hurricane out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jump 22 View Post
    Texas is getting hammered with Cases it’s the latest Epicenter
    We are really fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you even know what a "case" is?
    pretty sure "Epicenter" is used wrong also

just not in the geo-sciences context, but metaphorically speaking, Wuhan was the epicenter

texas cases going up is only a natural progression for things

more disconcerting, the death rate is showing signs of rising.

get ready for lockdown 2.0 Mark.

Considering there is now sixteen-some-odd-fuckin-ways to be considered a case now
    In Texas, I am absolutely SHOCKED cases are going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jump 22 View Post
    Scientists claim this Virus could cause Brain Damage to infected patients.
    I foresee a Second Lockdown coming soon
    "Scientists claim..." is always bullshit. Always, every single time. Grow up.

And you didn't answer my question: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    pretty sure "Epicenter" is used wrong also

just not in the geo-sciences context, but metaphorically speaking, Wuhan was the epicenter

texas cases going up is only a natural progression for things

more disconcerting, the death rate is showing signs of rising.

get ready for lockdown 2.0 Mark.
    You get ready for it, Fulcrum. I already am.

Who dies from COVID-19, fulcrum? .
    from what I've been reading, seems like obese people and males and older folks

You poor fearful little guy
    I'm upper percentile for income and net worth, and also am few inches tall than you. /s
    And not afraid either: I've been eating my veggies and dark greens; doing cardio; lifting; I'm outside a lot; have dog(aka germ bag); type O blood; playing with dirt on weekends; not very old; etc.

Also, I've already been exposed to it by a family member who tested + and had symptoms.
    I didn't wear a mask in my own house if you are wondering. I probably have had it already.
    Immune system should be tip top. You?

I'm just at odds with the deniers about how your case load, and subsequent deaths are eventually going to go up (in Texas).
    People there sayin', "we don't have any cases or deaths [relative to our population] , why the lockdown? muh rights!!!"
    Or blaming the recent increase of cases or increased testing or skewed data.
    Ya'll locked down too hard and early.
    You have a large population as a state, and quite a few big population centers.

You should actually WANT your cases to UP, so it spreads, and this all gets over with as soon as possible.
    There will be a lagging amount of deaths from that, sure. That is only an artifact of the case spread.
    You should HOPE you hospital capacity stays juuuuust low enough to handle the case load....so they're aren't any excess deaths from an overun.
    The object, in my mind, to to toe the hospital capacity line as close as possible.

You get ready for it, Fulcrum. I already am.
    whatcha gonna do Rip? sounds menacing.

lemme guess, same thing as the first time: nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    No one in the UK is calling for properly fitted N95 masks outside of medical use. The very sketchy advice is to wear ‘masks’ on public transport. These seem to be any bit of stretchy fabric with a pretty virtue-signalling pattern.

I’m still wondering why we are being asked to use bacterial gel - it’s a virus, so gel doesn’t kill it. Apparently it requires soap and running water.

The hotel I visited had a waiter wearing a visor, which is fine to prevent virus going directly on the eyes, but not much use if the virus gets inhaled.
    For sure, not all masks have equal filtration efficiency. I've posted a few research articles a few pages back that indicate that a mask with multiple layers of differing fabric types can work well.

I've read the same thing, that soap and water are the most effective. I believe the ethyl alcohol in the sanitizer gel is what breaks down the virus:

Efficacy of ethanol against viruses in hand disinfection - ScienceDirect

You poor fearful little guy
    I'm upper percentile for income and net worth, and also am few inches tall than you.
    I was speaking figuratively. And I'll ask you the same question: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

whatcha gonna do Rip? sounds menacing.

lemme guess, same thing as the first time: nothing?
    I'm going to behave as normally as possible while trying to function in a society of cowards and fools. Like I did the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    For sure, not all masks have equal filtration efficiency. I've posted a few research articles a few pages back that indicate that a mask with multiple layers of differing fabric types can work well.

I've read the same thing, that soap and water are the most effective. I believe the ethyl alcohol in the sanitizer gel is what breaks down the virus:

Efficacy of ethanol against viruses in hand disinfection - ScienceDirect
    Yeah, he still thinks we're talking about masks.

starting strength coach development program
    Good Sir Mark Rippetoe,

I apologize for my previous demoralization post.

What people of your calibre and precision must begin to understand is that coalitions must be formed. The old way of wishing evil upon your neighbors and quenching any sort of creativity and thought will no longer cut it. You must create coalitions with other powerful people, even those whom you do not agree with 100%. You must lower your deviations of acceptance slightly so that you may come together with more people.

Powerful forces are afoot and I fear if the strong ones in America do not find a way to come together they will die as individuals. I wish you all the best, the the wind be always at your back and your blades never dull.