COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 476

starting strength gym
Page 476 of 551 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,760 of 5501

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #4751
    Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    • texas starting strength seminar september 2020
    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Also important: Swath of Oklahoma Falls Within Indian Reservation, Supreme Court Rules - WSJ
    Has anyone looked into what this means? Is the city of Tulsa no longer part of Oklahoma and the United States, or are they just implementing a dual tier justice system where state laws do not apply to Native Americans, but still apply to other peoples?
    What it's saying is, Congress created an Indian territory, and therefore only Congress can abolish it. Kind of like if I rent my house to you, Rip can't decide to squat in it (presumably so he can squat in it) and then say it's now his house instead of yours...only I can do that because I'm the one that created your land rights. I don't see what's so controversial about this opinion or why it makes Gorsuch a turncoat...if Congress says it's going to create a reservation in perpetuity, then that's what happens until Congress says otherwise. As Gorsuch says in the conclusion, "if Congress wishes to withdraw its promises, it must say so."

    The treaty says that if a member of the Creek tribe commits a crime in the Creek territory, then he can be tried either by the tribal courts or by the federal government (and the Fed has more or less the same types of criminal laws on the books that Oklahoma does...many U.S. Attorney offices federally prosecute tribe members on what would ordinarily be state law crimes because there are Indian territories in their districts). The defendant in this case therefore can't be tried by Oklahoma.

    And for what it's worth, I don't think this is necessarily advantageous to tribal members in general...in many cases, I'd probably rather have the State of Oklahoma than the Federal Sentencing Guidelines.

  2. #4752
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    I you wear a fake mask that comes with a fake plastic valve in order to get stitches removed, and the medical requirement is that you wear any mask, not that it meets any spec whatsoever, I wouldn't say YOU are practicing witchcraft, but somebody sure is.

  3. #4753
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Laredo will not allow on-campus instruction until at least September 4th.

    Laredo health authorities mandate no on-campus instruction allowed - Laredo Morning Times

    No extracurricular for the at least the entire month of September....meaning no football, band, cross country, cheerleading, FFA and other activities I can't think of right now. But, godsdammnit. Why? What is the reasoning? Apparently El Paso has followed suit.

    Local order to delay start of football, fall sports - Laredo Morning Times

    I just don't get it. I am absolutely baffled. I probably should not be any more. Ever feel like the world is out of sync?

    sb

    Whom the Gods wish to destroy they first send Mad.

  4. #4754
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rocksprings, TX
    Posts
    260

    Default

    I'd like to address the economic impact. Someone was blathering about how face masks will increase GDP or some other drivel....

    Earlier I addressed the fact that I chose not to attend a coaching clinic in San Antonio over masking. (It has since been cancelled, costing SA economy about $8 million). That was about $2800 of money, not including gas/parking/alcohol that would have been spent in the San Antonio area, that would not. I know it is moot now.

    Plan was to tow my boat down to a lake and the coast. Go out 1 day on a deep sea charter fishing trip and spend the rest of the time fishing around the bay and a freshwater lake. Right now I am not fishing because the charter requires a mask if within 6ft of others. So, $450 not going to the charter, 3 nights at a hotel ($200), gas, food, bait for 3 days of fishing and travel (300+ miles towing a boat) not being purchased by me. Every place I would have purchased gas, would have lost "road food" purchases because I am not going into the store.

    There is cool little brew supply place in San Antonio on St. Mary's street. Normally I get my stuff from them for making beer. This summer I am attempting a foray into making wine from wild mustang grapes that grow on the fence lines out here. While I would LOVE to pick the knowledgeable brains of the brew shop, I just won't go into SA. So, I am winging it. We might die, but it won't be from COVID!

    I think there will be further harm to Local economy and big corporations (amazon/walmart etc) will get benefit.

    sb

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    Whom the Gods wish to destroy they first send Mad.
    Admittedly, I researched that quote a bit. I like this earlier version for our situation.

    "evil appears as good in the minds of those whom god leads to destruction" ~ Sophocles

  5. #4755
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    It’s largely regional, kinda like in the States. The big thing in Europe these days is calling out other countries because people are not wearing enough masks or the restrictive measures are not restrictive enough, bullshit of that kind. Even in individual countries, the regions around the capital are gonna be more restrictive than others and so on.

    The Serbian thing is pretty telling, as it sets a limit on how far governments can push this. Their government’s first response was to laugh the whole thing off, then they instituted a series of curfews, the longest of which lasted five days. They then reopened everything in time for elections, and started reporting unusually large numbers of cases following the elections. I suspect they are cooking the numbers upwards, probably so they can mooch some foreign aid. The government then announced it would impose new curfews, upon which the people just said fuck you and went to the streets. Four days on, the protests show no sign of subsiding. I guess you can only fuck with people for so long, and the Serbian government pushed it too far.
    Sounds like things are much like in the States. My parents are in northern Michigan (rural) and they told me they have yet to see a mask, while my aunt and uncle down state near Detroit are still not able to go to their gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    I'd like to address the economic impact. Someone was blathering about how face masks will increase GDP or some other drivel....

    Earlier I addressed the fact that I chose not to attend a coaching clinic in San Antonio over masking. (It has since been cancelled, costing SA economy about $8 million). That was about $2800 of money, not including gas/parking/alcohol that would have been spent in the San Antonio area, that would not. I know it is moot now.

    Plan was to tow my boat down to a lake and the coast. Go out 1 day on a deep sea charter fishing trip and spend the rest of the time fishing around the bay and a freshwater lake. Right now I am not fishing because the charter requires a mask if within 6ft of others. So, $450 not going to the charter, 3 nights at a hotel ($200), gas, food, bait for 3 days of fishing and travel (300+ miles towing a boat) not being purchased by me. Every place I would have purchased gas, would have lost "road food" purchases because I am not going into the store.

    There is cool little brew supply place in San Antonio on St. Mary's street. Normally I get my stuff from them for making beer. This summer I am attempting a foray into making wine from wild mustang grapes that grow on the fence lines out here. While I would LOVE to pick the knowledgeable brains of the brew shop, I just won't go into SA. So, I am winging it. We might die, but it won't be from COVID!

    I think there will be further harm to Local economy and big corporations (amazon/walmart etc) will get benefit.

    sb



    Admittedly, I researched that quote a bit. I like this earlier version for our situation.

    "evil appears as good in the minds of those whom god leads to destruction" ~ Sophocles
    Rip's last podcast about The Arnold was a real eye-opener for me.

    Anyone associated with the sports industry is hurting right now, or will be in the future. Aside from the players, tv viewership, and ticket sales, there's a gigantic support industry for sports.

    A good number of my friends from Milwaukee did business with the Brewers and the Bucks. Some worked directly with the teams on the business and marketing side. Others made extra cash working concessions and selling beers at games. This was extra spending money for some, but there were at least a few who banked on working games to make ends meet.

    On top of that, there are schools, churches, and charities who use games as opportunities to raise extra money that they also won't see this year.

    Now multiply that for multiple sports across dozens of states, to day nothing of minor league and high school sports. It's just a total clusterfuck.

  6. #4756
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Then again that could be from some of the ball caps I wear like the thin blue line, Keep America Great, I Got Your 6 (in black with a blue line), and the one with Deplorable embroidered on it.
    Speaking of virtue signaling...

  7. #4757
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    208

    Default

    (TL;DR - the rationale for retraction was indeed dubious.)

    Here’s what happened. Lots of people want to assess the probability of getting shot by a cop based on your race. The problem is, this calculation involves both shootings and uneventful encounters, but only the former have solid data.

    Johnson et al, using this better data, try to predict the race of the cop from all other aspects of the shooting. Basically, checking if unarmed black men are getting shot mostly by white cops. Turns out that’s not the case.

    Is this “flawed?” No, it’s answering another question, trying to make good with the available data. Problem is, their abstract said “White officers are not more likely to shoot minority civilians than non-White officers”, which is imprecise wording. If it said, “White officers are not more likely to be the shooters of minority...” then they’d be fine.

    Opponents pounced on this, and made it sound like the entire paper is engulfed in some grave mathematical error. A few months ago, the authors went ahead and corrected their abstract. From a few days ago, their mealy-mouthed statement of retraction cites misuse of their work, but finds blame only in the already-corrected material.

    Meanwhile, Dr. Joseph Fair, self-styled @curefinder, virologist and epidemiologist, appeared on NBC multiple times to discuss his recovery from COVID-19. Except, by his own admission, all his PCR tests were negative, as was his antibody test.

    Somehow, the statistics paper is retracted, while Fair’s blatant lies are not.

  8. #4758
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    (TL;DR - the rationale for retraction was indeed dubious.)

    Here’s what happened. Lots of people want to assess the probability of getting shot by a cop based on your race. The problem is, this calculation involves both shootings and uneventful encounters, but only the former have solid data.

    Johnson et al, using this better data, try to predict the race of the cop from all other aspects of the shooting. Basically, checking if unarmed black men are getting shot mostly by white cops. Turns out that’s not the case.

    Is this “flawed?” No, it’s answering another question, trying to make good with the available data. Problem is, their abstract said “White officers are not more likely to shoot minority civilians than non-White officers”, which is imprecise wording. If it said, “White officers are not more likely to be the shooters of minority...” then they’d be fine.

    Opponents pounced on this, and made it sound like the entire paper is engulfed in some grave mathematical error. A few months ago, the authors went ahead and corrected their abstract. From a few days ago, their mealy-mouthed statement of retraction cites misuse of their work, but finds blame only in the already-corrected material.

    Meanwhile, Dr. Joseph Fair, self-styled @curefinder, virologist and epidemiologist, appeared on NBC multiple times to discuss his recovery from COVID-19. Except, by his own admission, all his PCR tests were negative, as was his antibody test.

    Somehow, the statistics paper is retracted, while Fair’s blatant lies are not.
    Shiva is an unsung hero in this thread.

  9. #4759
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    What it's saying is, Congress created an Indian territory, and therefore only Congress can abolish it. Kind of like if I rent my house to you, Rip can't decide to squat in it (presumably so he can squat in it) and then say it's now his house instead of yours...only I can do that because I'm the one that created your land rights. I don't see what's so controversial about this opinion or why it makes Gorsuch a turncoat...if Congress says it's going to create a reservation in perpetuity, then that's what happens until Congress says otherwise. As Gorsuch says in the conclusion, "if Congress wishes to withdraw its promises, it must say so."

    The treaty says that if a member of the Creek tribe commits a crime in the Creek territory, then he can be tried either by the tribal courts or by the federal government (and the Fed has more or less the same types of criminal laws on the books that Oklahoma does...many U.S. Attorney offices federally prosecute tribe members on what would ordinarily be state law crimes because there are Indian territories in their districts). The defendant in this case therefore can't be tried by Oklahoma.

    And for what it's worth, I don't think this is necessarily advantageous to tribal members in general...in many cases, I'd probably rather have the State of Oklahoma than the Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
    Thank you for saving me the time of reading another lengthy ruling. Sounds like a reasonable and appropriate ruling. This is the responsibility of congress to fix. If they do not act quickly, people should know who to blame.
    I assume the dissenting opinion is rooted in the knowledge that, although not legally defensible, they have an obligation to protect the traditionally held and governed territory of Oklahoma, the United States and to protect the property and rights of the almost 2 million Americans who will wake up tomorrow living in a sovereign nation other than the United States.


    Other news:
    Marxists in the army: Congressman Mo Brooks:U.S. Army Must Prosecute & Fire Redstone Arsenal Army Personnel Who Illegally Used Government Resources to Distribute Political Propaganda Claiming "Make America Great Again" & "Celebration of Columbus Day" Constitute White Supremacy | Congressman Mo Brooks

    Careful not to drive on leftist street art: Cops say tire mark on rainbow pride crosswalk is 'gesture of hate' — and get mocked mercilessly - TheBlaze

    Efforts to introduce voting legislation for aliens: Far-Left Calls on States to Expand Voting to 'Undocumented People'

  10. #4760
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    213

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Yay! Seattle city council has joined in approving a veto-proof vote to reduce SPD Funding by 50%.

    One of the plans is to move 911 services to the civilian sector. Brilliant.

    So where should I move?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •