starting strength gym
Page 481 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3814314714794804814824834915315819811481 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,810 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    The issue is governors and county boards and such. But everyone is obsessed with politics at the Federal level.
    This is the problem with EVERYTHING. People think everything is the purview of the federal government. BLM protesters are marching around acting like Donald Trump has anything to do with how they are treated by their local cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    This is their analysis. I'm inclined to listen to them and believe them , because they are the experts on this matter. Just like I'd listen to your advice on strength training because you are the expert on the said subject matter. Surely an expert is an expert for a reason, correct?
    There are some who would not call him an expert. It depends on who you ask. That's the crux of your finishing question. Experts are experts for a reason...because someone says they're an expert. Who they are and why they have come to this determination that these people have earned "expert" status are far more important. Being doctors compiled on a list does not make them a trusted authority when healthy skepticism is applied. Have you not ever gone to different doctors for second and third opinions? Because lemme tell ya bud, you can get wildly different takes on a medical issue from different doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Florida has relaxed restrictions for a month; hospital utilization is unchanged. We’ve seen this in Texas, as well.
    Factually wrong.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upda...pitalizations/

My BS detector goes off anytime the media uses the phrase "experts say". It is actually a useful indicator that the article or story is probably lacking evidence (or is pushing a narrative).

I encourage people to stop and think when they encounter this. It can be a free pass for the media to say pretty much anything without any supporting evidence whatsoever. It is very concerning. I've seen countless articles that just cite "experts say" with no names or organizations mentioned at all.

I understand that sometimes anonymous sources must be used, but here are a couple more phrases that bring the credibility of the story into question:

"A person familiar with the matter said"
    "A unnamed source said"

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I also suspect that once all the elected officials have their job security back a lot of things will happen very fast. I'm excited to see how far the Fed can push Modern Monetary Theory before things begin to break. Word on the street is that more Trump Bucks are on their way.
    The Fed can't by definition push MMT, because it's not part of government. I mean, effectively speaking, it is the government, as is the ECB and Bank of England and so on, but these motherfuckers are the last ones who would be having anything to to with MMT. Their client base is on the opposite side of that spectrum. Perversely, MMT is currently being practiced by smaller countries whose foreign debt is almost 100 percent denominated in foreign currencies, but where the central bank is state owned. It seems this can be done pretty effectively in times like these, because the currency fluctuation and general panic mode is so high, you hardly see any inflationary pressure on the local currency. You just can't give the money directly to people, you need government programs that guarantee covering a certain percentage of the paycheck and so on. Confirming once more that the whole idea of "markets" having any kind of meaning outside of the state has been a colossal fraud, mostly by the bankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    You mad bro?

Apparently your reading skills are as poor as you math skills. $450 for charter etc etc. But keep harping on just the cost of the hotel. Until you prove otherwise, you cherry pick data to try to make your position seem stronger. Probably that way in all you thinking. Weak sauce.

$140 million lost to San Antonio so far this year. $8 million from this lost convention alone. My own staff would not attend DUE TO THE MASK MANDATE. That's a few thousand that would not go to their economy, that would not DUE TO THE MASK MANDATE....you can't play both sides: SCARE EVERYONE and tell them its OK as long as you have t-shirt on your face. Well, fools can. But, it is a lie. So, which is it? Scary, scary OR just put t-shirt on you face. (see I bolded it so you can notice it, read slowly and out loud if it helps.)

This playing both sides, like our governor, is not going to get anything going. Ever. So, I won't support those that add to the panic. Am I the only one? I don't know.

You are fairly dense. If you need me to dumb it down for you further, gods help you.
    I was just surprised that someone would accuse someone else of blathering then proceed to write 3 paragraphs about running errands.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Exactly. So why should I believe anything they say about the market?

What makes Rip and these doctors "experts"? Credentials? Experience? Saying things that sound good to me? News station approval? The word "expert", like "racism" is essentially meaningless at this stage of the English language's evolution.
    How do you know if someone is an expert? Well, in if they are an expert in scientific research then they will have the appropriate education and work experience, and a large body of published work in the particular area they claim to be an expert in. How do you think companies hire experts in particular areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Right. That's exactly the correct attitude. Experts know what's best!
    If they don't then who does? Not me, and certainly not most of the posters here. These guys are literally qualified doctors. Does their qualification mean nothing? When I see a coach with an SSC certification it means I know that she/he is a genuine coach with proper credentials and I can trust their advice on strength training, a topic they are an expert in. In a similar vein on the topic of a pandemic disease, I would rather trust a doctor than not. I agree not all doctors are equal, but most of them know what they are talking about. An entire association of doctors being wrong seems much more unlikely compared to people on the internet being right.

As an aside, I also think that by "working out in the gym" the chart refers to the generic fitness gyms with no social distancing as opposed to Starting Strength gyms, which I appreciate have already had a spaced out setup. I'll fully agree that the risk factor in a Starting Strength gym will be considerably lower compared to a generic fitness gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    From our Trusted Experts, an exquisitely pathetic introductory paragraph:

Worthy of a contest entry.
    You have always been an objective poster, so I'm surprised you would nitpick and choose to paste 2 sentences that really have no bearing on the analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Our military experts told us Iraq had WMDs, while many clearly inferior specimens in the general public had a gut feeling they were being played.

Our experts also predicted, repeatedly, death rates far higher than we have seen and missed the mark every time.

Surely a skeptic is a skeptic for a reason, correct?
    Isn't there a difference between a politically driven agenda and the medical aspect of the current situation? What political agenda would the Texas Medical Association want to further by warning you about the risk factors of Covid19?

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    do you trust the personal trainer that 24 hour fitness pairs you with? they're an expert
    This is exactly my point. They're not the expert, because they don't have the SSC certification, which is why I won't trust them! This is exactly why, like the personal trainer, I and presumably you and majority of the posters here are not qualified to actually make our own decision about this. On the other hand, we all would completely trust an SSC on matters of strength training precisely because of their qualifications, therefore it baffles me as to why you would not have the same line of thinking regarding doctors on a subject that they are clearly more knowledgeable about than the majority of us.

Surely an expert is an expert for a reason, correct?
    What do you do when "experts" contradict each other?

I'll tell you what the government and media do. They choose the one with the answer they like and then either call the other one a loon or pretend he doesn't exist altogether.

I'm supposed to believe "experts" on any topic when they routinely do political maneuvers like this?:

Researchers who found no anti-black police bias withdraw paper

starting strength coach development program
    If they don't then who does? Not me, and certainly not most of the posters here. These guys are literally qualified doctors. Does their qualification mean nothing? When I see a coach with an SSC certification it means I know that she/he is a genuine coach with proper credentials and I can trust their advice on strength training, a topic they are an expert in. In a similar vein on the topic of a pandemic disease, I would rather trust a doctor than not. I agree not all doctors are equal, but most of them know what they are talking about. An entire association of doctors being wrong seems much more unlikely compared to people on the internet being right.
    Through the eyes of a child.