starting strength gym
Page 487 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3874374774854864874884894975375879871487 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,870 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    The SSC certification is meaningful because it has a very substantial fail rate. I also imagine if they encounter someone with the certification going out into the wild and doing a bad job, they will probably withdraw it. Medical doctors, on the other hand, do not seem to encounter similar rigor. There are terrible, stupid fucking doctors out there. And you can even encounter a situation where the majority of doctors in a particular field of medicine are dead fucking wrong with their take. I have. Anecdote incoming.

In my mid 20s, I was diagnosed with a condition called keratoconus. Basically my corneas were being degraded by...something (they really haven't nailed down WHAT causes it yet) and began to deform slightly, having a negative impact on my vision. The first doctors I saw insisted it was "chronic eye rubbing". If you ask anyone I spend a lot of time around, I do not "chronically eye rub". Every one of them told me the treatment was going to be large, rigid contact lenses (you know how they have those "barely there" kinds for people with normal vision problems? The opposite of those), until the condition got so bad I needed a corneal transplant. A corneal transplant is taking your corneas off, and replacing them with corneas from a dead person, in case that wasn't obvious. The surgery has an 85% success rate and something like a half year recovery time. You generally only find out you're in that 15% that it doesn't work with until well into that recovery period.

Family and I decided to do some research, obviously, because this was not an ideal solution to this problem. I found that the rigid contacts they insisted were the fix can actually CAUSE keratoconus from wearing them too long. For the record, I did also try wearing them, I couldn't. I was ripping at the upholstery in the arms of the chair at the doctor's office when they were put in. I couldn't wear the fucking things.

I did discover there was an interesting treatment that reinforced the collagen of the corneas that hadn't caught on in the US but was being used in other countries already. Discussing it with these doctors, they didn't merely say they didn't know about it, or that they were wary of it because it was untested, but they straight up told me IT DIDN'T WORK. That was the opinion of these "experts", it didn't work. Thankfully, we managed to find a guy in California who WAS practicing the procedure and the family helped me get out there to get it done. It didn't reverse the condition, but it has prevented any further degrading since, exactly as advertised. Here's what's really crazy though. A year or two after I got it done, the procedure underwent FDA testing. Today, ten years after I was diagnosed, it is part of THE STANDARD TREATMENT for keratoconus. The procedure that "didn't work" according to "experts" I saw 10 years ago, is now what they basically do to EVERYONE who's diagnosed. So no, I do not place overwhelming weight on the opinions of "experts". I am skeptical of everything and everyone, and you should be too. I don't even give the statements of Starting Strength Coaches absolute weight (though the amount I do give them in my view is considerable). No one is immune to the universal human failing of being wrong about things.

On top of that, there is no such thing as an "expert" on COVID-19. It hasn't been studied long enough for there to be experts on it. The closest to experts are probably the Chinese researchers who created it.
    I appreciate that you got the wrong end of the deal. Like I said not all doctors are equal. But lets talk about probabilities. The probability of them being correct on a subject matter that they have greater knowledge in, compared to you and I, will be more, significantly more, than the probability of people on the internet being correct. And this is pretty much valid for every field. I admire your attitude towards questioning everything and getting the answers for yourself, but there is a limit to which one can do so. Unless you put yourself through the rigours of med school you are unlikely to be more correct than someone who has. And I agree with you on not putting overwhelming weight on the opinion of others. But probability wise, the doctors are more likely to know what they are talking about compared to you or I.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Well, well, well. But Florida is a vast wasteland of dead bodies!

Prepare not to hear about his on MSM.

FOX 35 INVESTIGATES: Hospitals confirm mistakes in Florida’s COVID-19 report
    Yeah. From the Briggs column:
    Alex Berenson
    @AlexBerenson
    Jul 12
    And after a week of nightmare headlines about Florida, and about 70,000 new cases (aka positive tests), hospitals have a grand total of 130 more patients (~2.5%) in ICU beds statewide than last Sunday. Can’t make it up. 45 deaths today, in a state with 20 million people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    I agree Rip has done all the aforementioned things to convince me of his expertise. However even he realized he is one man and he can't coach the entire world all by himself. So guess what he did, he came up with the Starting Strength Coach certification. Now not all coaches other than Rip, can feasibly present a body of work as Rip did, or have their own books or present the database of having coached thousands of clients. So they get the Starting Strength certification. The certification tells people like you and me that the coach is an expert in the methodology of Starting Strength. This is exactly the concept of getting a degree in any field. The degree in medicine tells the general public that the concerned person is a qualified doctor and hence the expert.
    I'll be the first to tell you that passing a certification exam, even a rigorous one such as the SSC, does not guarantee that the holder is an "expert" in anything. You know there are bad doctors, right? You and alsbos must be the same age.

And I agree with you on not putting overwhelming weight on the opinion of others. But probability wise, the doctors are more likely to know what they are talking about compared to you or I.
    You poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    No, Satch, I don’t. And I’m sorry for triggering you.
    Fair.

I just don't take anyone's arguments seriously when they play this card.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post

I remember a doctor telling my wife and about how important the yolk of eggs were for our child due to all the protein that they provide. Yolks do provide some great nutritional value, but they are a horrible source of protein. It is almost entirely to be found in the whites.
    This right here is why I trust the experts more than people on the internet. FYI 100 grams of egg yolk contains 16 grams of protein, whereas 100 grams of egg white contains 11 grams of protein. In a single egg you'll get approximately 4 grams of protein in the egg white and approximately 3 in the yolk. You trust the USDA right or is their expertise not valid here either?

You are just proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPB View Post
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but here's a good article on MMT: MMT: Not Modern, Not Monetary, Not a Theory | Mises Institute. Here's a great quick intro to the Fed. It's a short audio book (free), but I'm sure you can find a pdf, if you want to read it: What Has Government Done to Our Money? | Mises Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Try Michael Hudson, Superimperialism and Global Fracture, this is the best resource on how the world moved from the gold standard to the Treasury bill standard. Dunno, I've worked as a journalist during the 2008 recession, so I kinda know what to look for. Bottom line - the Fed is not your friend. They are Goldman Sach's friend, but not yours. The central banks are running the world, and pretty badly.
    Very interesting, thanks for the information. I'll be adding these to my "to-read" list.

This right here is why I trust the experts more than people on the internet. FYI 100 grams of egg yolk contains 16 grams of protein, whereas 100 grams of egg white contains 11 grams of protein. In a single egg you'll get approximately 4 grams of protein in the egg white and approximately 3 in the yolk. You trust the USDA right or is their expertise not valid here either?

You are just proving my point.
    Let’s not get wrapped around the axle on “trust”. It’s an elusive concept.

This one blew my mind:

Second wave? Not even close. – OffGuardian

Mr. Handley is killing it. Occasionally, Stanford produces good things and not just the engineering department.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    “ how deadly can the virus be if you have to be tested to know if you have it? (Or had it.)?” Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I really have to ask this: How old are you, alsbos?
    Exactly what is it that surprises you with my answer? I wouldn't have thought it controversial. Research costs a fortune. It's on a clock. Anyways, I'm pretty old (although not as old as you). And I love the podcasts! Listen every Friday!

starting strength coach development program
    I appreciate that you got the wrong end of the deal. Like I said not all doctors are equal. But lets talk about probabilities. The probability of them being correct on a subject matter that they have greater knowledge in, compared to you and I, will be more, significantly more, than the probability of people on the internet being correct. And this is pretty much valid for every field. I admire your attitude towards questioning everything and getting the answers for yourself, but there is a limit to which one can do so. Unless you put yourself through the rigours of med school you are unlikely to be more correct than someone who has. And I agree with you on not putting overwhelming weight on the opinion of others. But probability wise, the doctors are more likely to know what they are talking about compared to you or I.
    There’s an old saying that 80% of the people do 20% of the work, while 20% of the people do 80% of the work. It’s no accident that those who get it done also seem to be the ones who know the most about their jobs.

There’s another joke too: “What do you call the guy who finished dead fucking last in medical school?

The answer: “Doctor.”

When they interview these assholes on TV, or they’re referencing some schmuck’s paper on how COVID-19 could have been around since the Cretaceous, you don’t know if they’re pulling from the 80% or the 20%.

Aviation is my field of expertise. Whenever a plane crashes, myself and everyone I know listen with rapt attention to how badly the news fucks up their explanations. Their “aviation experts” are usually dumbasses, and usually pilots. Nothing against pilots, but don’t ask them how a plane actually works. Ask an engineer or a mechanic. You don’t ask your bus driver how the Diesel engine under the hood works. But, pilots look official and people respect their opinions... Just like people do with letters like “Dr,” “PhD,” etc..