starting strength gym
Page 492 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 3924424824904914924934945025425929921492 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanNewell View Post
    The overwhelming likelihood is that it arose by natural evolution, probably partially in Malayan pangolin:

The coronavirus was not engineered in a lab. Here's how we know. | Live Science
    The first sentence is a red flag:
    The persistent myth can be put to bed.
    The science is settled. Just feels like global warming 2. No debate is necessary. Comply!

Is it wrong of me to want to see a lively, public debate amongst the chosen and the shunned scientists living in a brick ranch out in the country (eg Sorensen)?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Small update...the state of Virginia has shut down fall sports....VHSL: No high school football in Virginia this fall

There are going to be so many lower income kids that are going to get in a lot of trouble, simply because they won't have the structure of football in their lives. This is a terrible decision.
    Makes you wonder what they are actually trying to do in Virginia. Kids don't get COVID. Republican adults like their kids to play football. Northam is trying very hard to make western Virginia mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Makes you wonder what they are actually trying to do in Virginia. Kids don't get COVID. Republican adults like their kids to play football. Northam is trying very hard to make western Virginia mad.
    Virginia won't be the only state to do this. I just hope FLA doesn't follow suit.

Re: Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Too bad this site doesn't also include age bands on this link.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Scientists spend the vast bulk of their time creating things in a lab, that have commercial or military value.

But I am only talking about the physical sciences.
    This is one of the silliest claims in this thread. Do you want to rephrase this to clarify what you mistakenly said?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by JordanNewell View Post
    The overwhelming likelihood is that it arose by natural evolution, probably partially in Malayan pangolin:

The coronavirus was not engineered in a lab. Here's how we know. | Live Science

... that's an article based on the research reported in this paper:

The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 | Nature Medicine

... and the paper is free to read here:

The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I watched the Joe Rogan Experience episode with Bret Weinstein where the good doctor discussed the RNA that was altered and why. I have found no corroboration for this, but it's not exactly surprising given the state of what information gets to go where. Essentially, the virus was altered in such a way to make it highly infectious within humans, and it would not have otherwise developed that at the same time it developed the capacity to cross species. That is also propagates well inside buildings and is very susceptible to UV radiation likely are from its evolution within the lab environment. These two factors likely artificially "solved" the evolutionary problems it needed to overcome to be as wide-spread as it is.

The reason why it's probably being suppressed is that this is (per Dr. Weinstein) common practice in virology all over the world. Imagine the public backlash for THAT...
    I'd maybe cite some papers of my own, but I watched them being deleted in real time late one night months ago. There were some interesting ones about research done in that Wuhan lab, "gain of function" type work that Weinstein was probably talking about. They managed to work a strain found in bats into a strain that was highly infectious to human cells. That was two years ago. But it was the mysterious deleting of these papers a few months ago (back when the only people even paying attention to this virus were "crazy" people like me) that I saw myself late one night that fully convinces me this sucker came from a lab. I don't think it was intentionally created to be let loose, or even intentionally let loose. More likely it's the same as so many other fuckups that come from China, corner-cutting and bad practices. Same reason they get fun things like chains of buildings exploding out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    David, what is 'it' in this sentence? The virus? I'm just a bit unclear on what you're conveying here in this sentence. Thanks.
    That virology centers routinely increase infectiousness of viruses in labs in order to study them. The equivalent of giving chimpanzees meth so you can more readily study aggressive chimp behavior, and praying that the monkey cage is strong enough and that the handlers don't accidentally unleash meth monkeys on an unsuspecting population.

Which is likely what happened with SARS-COV-2. Who would have thought that a communist country wouldn't have the best adherence to lab and safety standards? Would piss off a LOT of people if they found out it was still happening with other viruses right now all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here is a magnificent example of baldfaced propaganda. It really is amazing that people are reading this drivel and reacting to it exactly as intended: Public's disconnect from COVID-19 reality worries experts | TheHill

]
    Again, the correct response to such pablum, is to demand a quantitative analysis of a situation that is not too reckless, risky, expensive, etc.

Being forced to defend a position is not a new thing. Consider car, life, or health insurance. That’s exactly what they do across entire large industries.

All of a sudden, “better safe than sorry” is a fundamental scientific principle?

The current trend of keeping schools closed and cancelling fall sports may just be the trigger that we need. The one group that may have the balls to shout and demand this end, more than us on this board or small business owners, are this nations mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    My prediction? Something completely different, Monty Python style. The current story line lost coherence months ago. They won't even try to wrap it up. They'll just whip up more riots or impeach Trump again or something. These people don't have a very complicated playbook.
    I am still betting they will try to hit the environmentalism angle. Now that the BLM terrorism is devolving into the deeply unpopular reparations demands, they need a new disaster.

Town in North Carolina approves reparations for Black residents
    Mayors back reparations that could cost $6.2 quadrillion, or $151M per descendant

Do we remember the Australian fires of last year? The majority of the fires were suspected to be caused by arson, however the media pushed climate change as the reason.
    What is the likelihood that we also see a huge spike in oil and gas prices before the election?

On the China coverup and propoganda issue: Has anyone located Huang Yan Shi? (suspected patient 0 and lab worker) Haven't checked up on it, but she had disappeared and been scrubbed from the internet as of a few months ago.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Companies view their patent portfolio (and trade secrets) as the value produced by their research groups. This isn't a metric I invented, I'm merely sharing it with you.

If you read the news, you'd think all scientists do is predict covid death rates and global warming in the year 2050. And, this isn't accurate. Scientists spend the vast bulk of their time creating things in a lab, that have commercial or military value.

But I am only talking about the physical sciences.
    Oh I am extremely, intimately aware of scientists and research. This awareness makes me realize you are on the fringe of knowing what you are talking about (to be clear, you are and have been generalizing all scientists and their products.) You are totally incorrect in that patent portfolios and trade secrets are what companies see as value produced by their research groups. In the biological sciences there is much more value than this. But again, you are generalizing "scientists" and "research groups."

Again, your original statement was "market value" and now you are saying "value." These are two different things. That's not a philosophy I invented, I'm merely sharing it with you.