starting strength gym
Page 498 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3984484884964974984995005085485989981498 ... LastLast
Results 4,971 to 4,980 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, Barry, these are EXPERTS. Obey the experts. Experts know what's best for us. But I've always been puzzled about the Public Pool thing. Is SARS-CoV-2 invulnerable to chlorine? What other deadly viruses are we swimming in?

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    Why would you want people to play football and risk catching Covid 19 and thereby risk their lives? This is baffling. Of all the things, why would you risk your life for football? I'm genuinely curious about this line of thinking. My thought process is, if you can avoid catching Covid 19, by avoiding football, why wouldn't you stay at home and stay safe?

1) My son is playing JV football in Tampa, FL. Workouts started 2 weeks ago. I fully support it. I'll go with the odds being on my side that he's going to break his arm before he dies of COVID19

2) If football is cancelled, what do you think these HS athletes, with no solid home life, who's only form of discipline and structure occurs during practice and on the field.

3) What of the athletes who may get a college scholarship, with a chance to change the REAL trajectory of their lives, by obtaining a college degree, and possibly improving the course of their lives?

Who's life is more important? My uncle's 95yo life, who literally doesn't know how to wipe his ass anymore, or the 16yo kid alluded to above that I don't know (not my son)?

I'm more concerned with concussions that this GD virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Has anyone thought about what the common denominator may be in the countries that didn't harass their populace by over-reacting to this virus, vs. the ones that did? Do they have stronger "republic"-type governments, as opposed to our hyper-insistence that "democracy" be in charge? Are their leaders simply more Patriotic and less self-interested (how did they win THAT lottery!?)? Maybe their populations are less Diverse? :P
    There must be some common societal trait these countries have, and I'd love to identify it so that we can work to grow it here in our beautiful country!
    I have a feeling that lack of diversity is a big part of the reason Sweden didn't have to lock down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, Barry, these are EXPERTS. Obey the experts. Experts know what's best for us. But I've always been puzzled about the Public Pool thing. Is SARS-CoV-2 invulnerable to chlorine? What other deadly viruses are we swimming in?
    No worries. I do have a lot of faith in the experts, especially, people who work for local government. I think they do these jobs for the call to public service, much more than self gain and that their advice is always thoughtful. I know that they are good stewards of collecting and using taxes guided by true altruism.

Maybe not NM which is fairly corrupt, but everywhere else for sure.

Yes, Local Government Officials are always the best people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're really going to have to stop slobbering all over your doctor's cock here on the board. There are other websites for this sort of thing.

Shiva is a doctor, you goddamn idiot.

You need to be more concerned with my definition of "goddamn idiot."

Ah, troll. Finally figured it out, I'm dense at times. Or maybe he's 10, playing on his parent's computer.
    I'm just going to ignore the disturbing imagery you have described.

I'm glad to hear that Shiva is a doctor and he has my full respect, but that is doubly concerning as to why he won't trust doctors' expertise?

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how your perception leans, I'm not a troll. I'm curious about this line of thinking that you have going on here. About how masks don't help and how doctors don't know what they are talking about. And I'm actually quite open minded and I'd be happy to be shown that I'm wrong in what I'm saying, and if so, I would have no issues changing my mind. So I'm just having an open discussion here. If you think I'm a troll, that would be unfortunate.

History has taught us about trusting Government Officials especially during a so called "Pandemic"

The swine flu fraud of 1976
    The swine flu fraud of 1976 exposed on 60 Minutes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    1) My son is playing JV football in Tampa, FL. Workouts started 2 weeks ago. I fully support it. I'll go with the odds being on my side that he's going to break his arm before he dies of COVID19

2) If football is cancelled, what do you think these HS athletes, with no solid home life, who's only form of discipline and structure occurs during practice and on the field.

3) What of the athletes who may get a college scholarship, with a chance to change the REAL trajectory of their lives, by obtaining a college degree, and possibly improving the course of their lives?

Who's life is more important? My uncle's 95yo life, who literally doesn't know how to wipe his ass anymore, or the 16yo kid alluded to above that I don't know (not my son)?

I'm more concerned with concussions that this GD virus.
    Thank you for your reply. This is an interesting point of view and I can certainly see where you're coming from. Would I be correct in saying that you are playing the probabilities? You are right in saying that death by covid for a young kid is going to be extremely improbable as compared to other causes. Fair enough. I don't however agree that your uncle's life is any less important than your child's, no matter the age difference. All lives matter.

All uncles matter.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    As far as I can tell, the downsides of masks are:

1. there is a small financial and time expense to using masks
    2. masks make some people feel bad

The upside is that they probably provide some slowing to the spread of covid, flu, etc. So if you want this whole thing to be over, wearing a mask when you can't social distance makes sense.
    We should just wear them forever then. Flu can kill people, especially old people, and it's always around. Let's just force everyone to walk around kitted out in PPE to minimize all disease spread. That's the best world to live in, right? It was a mistake we weren't all doing this in the first place before COVID-19. Let's make HAZMAT-Chic the new style this year.

Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    Some these interventions are benign (wearing a mask is no big deal, all things considered).
    I'm not so sure about that. Some jobs require a lot of physical exertion, and especially if you have to work in the heat, those masks will absolutely fuck you up. For me personally, I find they add a layer of weird awkwardness to social interactions. It just doesn't feel fully like you're talking to a human anymore on an instinctual level. Maybe they'll soon make us wear full facemasks and people will start interacting in real life entirely like they do on the internet. Hell, maybe the masks are actually responsible for this uptick in how pissed off everyone seems to be at each other, and how ready they are to dehumanize anyone they don't agree with. There's a study I'd be curious to see conducted. But it probably won't. The masks are for one reason and one reason only, and that is to make people less scared. They need to feel like there's something that is "being done about this" because they are unable to come to terms with this being something outside of anyone's control. It's the fucking TSA strapped on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    The base replication rate of covid-19 is something like 2-3, which means around 50-60% of the population has to be infected before it will die out...
    I would not be surprised if we have already approached that percentage of the population having been infected with this thing, given how prevalent asymptomatic/minor symptomatic infection seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Do they have stronger "republic"-type governments, as opposed to our hyper-insistence that "democracy" be in charge?
    Direct democracy is a nightmare scenario. Imagine if congress included every single person in the country. What a fucking mess that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    I agree, ask a mechanic or an engineer to know how a plane works. Ask a bus driver to know how the engine under the hood works. I completely agree. Who would you have us ask, in regards to the Covid situation? People on the internet are like the pilots you mentioned who have no real working knowledge of the matter in hand. Doctors on the other hand are literally the experts who would be likened to the engineers in your post, who actually know what they are talking about.
    No, EVERYONE is like an 1800s human trying to figure out how planes and buses work when it comes to COVID-19. That's the correct analogy. There is no authority to listen to. The fact that the virus has become politicized guarantees we will not have solid, objective facts untainted by bias for quite some time. Donald Trump's initial dismissive statements about COVID at the start basically guaranteed what at least 90% of people will believe about the virus. Everyone is just working to prove their own strongly-held opinions at this point.