starting strength gym
Page 5 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A lot of people are not going to like this, but I'm damned if I can argue with the man:

YouTube
    Yeah...I agree! Now google his interviews with Robert F Kennedy Jr (no I’m not a fan of his politics) on vaccines and take a listen. Roughly 10 mins total. We had a somewhat “lively” debate on another thread a couple of weeks ago re my point on this topic. I’m sure you remember.

It is yet to be seen if Covid-19 will be China's Chernobyl.

Everyone was exposed to the 1918 flu. Panic and isolation measures did not change that.

What are reasonable precautions? Are they merely basic hygiene standards that people should be following anyway? (meaning they are not actually additional precautions)

...Or are they more severe? Mandatory quarantine, mandatory cancellation of all gatherings of people, personnel patrolling with disinfectant foggers, cancellation of travel, mandatory face masks, curfews, shutting down all places of work?

How many of us would obey "reasonable precautions", like a mandatory quarantine?

Would you voluntarily or by diktat avoid the gym, travel, work, socialization and life in general?

Will you submit to living a life of irrational fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    This detail has been overplayed by both the media and governments health officials. It wasn't until this Tuesday, that health workers were permitted to use the masks you commonly find at local stores. The N95 mask I use when steel grinding doesn't met the hygiene standards for health workers. Plus the supply chain is completely different.
    I don't think the media is overplaying anything when it comes to the supplies of masks (N95 or otherwise). My wife is unable to purchase surgical masks, and her office has been told that they are on back order indefinitely. She and her colleagues are having to re-use masks for surgeries...

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I don't think the media is overplaying anything when it comes to the supplies of masks (N95 or otherwise). My wife is unable to purchase surgical masks, and her office has been told that they are on back order indefinitely. She and her colleagues are having to re-use masks for surgeries...
    Today at work in the hospital I found that we are keeping masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer under lock and keycard with monitored access because employees are stealing supplies to resell them.

I wonder at what point does media hysteria become tantamount to first amendment violation? How much different is it than yelling fire in a theatre? It seems to be approaching that point when we experience major issues such as those Dr Sully describes or the stock market taking a major dive etc.

Excellent questions that will no doubt be investigated in the coming months.

Look hard at Italy. The line between irrational fear and stone cold sober responsible action in the face of a tsunami can be hard to make out - especially when, just before it hits, the weather is so nice and the beach so comfortable. I think the actions called for here are boringly low-key - in the tsunami analogy, use the time you have to retreat to higher ground. Here, you are not preparing for the apocalypse or even trying to avoid getting infected *at all costs* - you are trying to dampen this thing’s progress and reasonably prepare for possible inconveniences while not hoarding and causing more problems than you are solving. There is a Website called “FlattenTheCurve” that I think gets it pretty damned right (and cites sources and doesn’t neglect to remind you to chill the fuck out, once you are taking reasonable measures).

The swine flu epidemic that was not as CDC advertised

[They] have lied in the past.

He who controls the test results...controls the spread of the "epidemic".

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the fearmogering directed at those that have bought masks and respirators at the general stores. As I said before, those masks and respirators, until last Tuesday, weren't even permitted to be used by medical personal. If the ones I still have in their packages are any indication, not only are they not labeled for medical use, but if I was more than a one-man shop, I would be in violation of OSHA regulations, as the labeling clearly states “DIY/Home use only”

As for the numbers that have been bought by people, I doubt the total amount available at my local stores would even supply the nearby hospital complex for a single day.

As for the shortages in the hospitals, that's between the them and the suppliers. Perhaps we shouldn't have outsourced most of our critical supplies to China.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    That would mean it would kill about a million or so people worldwide this year. That’s close to the same number of people killed this year by tuberculosis. I’m not saying that isn’t bad, but when’s the last time you saw a news story about tuberculosis?
    so, so, so different. TB is associated with poverty and lack of healthcare and infrastructure. It is treatable if one has access to medical care. The marjority of deaths are in places like China, India, Bangladesh, Phillipines, Pakistan, Nigeria. Only ~500 deaths in the last year in the US from TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    I wonder at what point does media hysteria become tantamount to first amendment violation? How much different is it than yelling fire in a theatre? It seems to be approaching that point when we experience major issues such as those Dr Sully describes or the stock market taking a major dive etc.
    look, this is serious stuff here. Hospitals in Italy are at 200% capacity. They cannot handle the cases coming in. The growth of this is exponential. And we dont even have enough tests in our country.