starting strength gym
Page 501 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 40145149149950050150250351155160110011501 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    In a few months.

In my field, “Experts” usually refers to prediction with expert advice. The word is used derisively, because the goal is to do well even when advised by hordes of professed Experts who fare poorly.
    What do you work on? I'm also in CS, working on automatic differentiation and probabilistic programming languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Be ye not distracted by our troll here. Be instead more cynical about experts: Fatal Motorcycle Crash Listed as COVID-19 Death in Florida
    I'm still curious if George Floyd got counted as one in some statistic. I wonder if Chauvin's attorney tries bringing something like that up.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    ... which only requires single digit population immunity to be over.
    ...until a single infectious human or animal from somewhere in the world is introduced to the population and it spreads at a high rate again. You are effectively proposing lockdown for 5+ years.

I can't believe we are still having this infantile appeal to authority discussion.

I see a correlation between the decline of religion and the rise of faith in government. Many of the religious-minded among us have converted to a new religion that sees spirits and gods in government. They see doctors as anointed priests and bureaucrats as spiritual healers.

Many people feel a compulsive need to submit to a higher power. I don't think we will ever get past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshray Koladdy View Post
    One of the first things my mind will do is to process if the concerned person is an expert. <snip>

Knowledge that is fundamentally prerequisite to forming an informed opinion on such a matter and knowledge that is gained not solely through the internet, but through the years of hard work through med school.
    So, since diet and nutrition are valuable components of a healthy lifestyle, should we defer to medical doctors for diet and nutrition advice? They did, after all, go through medical school. They know a lot about the body. They know a lot about the ailments that happen when bad nutrition occurs in a person's life over time.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    We should just wear them forever then. Flu can kill people, especially old people, and it's always around. Let's just force everyone to walk around kitted out in PPE to minimize all disease spread. That's the best world to live in, right? It was a mistake we weren't all doing this in the first place before COVID-19. Let's make HAZMAT-Chic the new style this year.
    Where I work (hospital), if you don't get an annual flu shot you do wear a mask. Not new this year, it's been the policy for several years now.

If we didn't have a reasonably effective seasonal flu vaccine widely available, you would probably have seen a push for masks before this year. The vaccine changes the risk equation.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Now this...

Safety standards and core rules for Washington State conveniently end the day after the election
    Safety standards and core rules for Washington State conveniently end the day after the election.
    Is this about a virus or the election.
    Who benefits the most?
    No debates- Can Biden debate?
    https://lni.wa.gov/safety-health/saf...WAC296-800.pdf
    We are so dumbed down, they don't even have to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    ...until a single infectious human or animal from somewhere in the world is introduced to the population and it spreads at a high rate again. You are effectively proposing lockdown for 5+ years.

I can't believe we are still having this infantile appeal to authority discussion.

I see a correlation between the decline of religion and the rise of faith in government. Many of the religious-minded among us have converted to a new religion that sees spirits and gods in government. They see doctors as anointed priests and bureaucrats as spiritual healers.

Many people feel a compulsive need to submit to a higher power. I don't think we will ever get past that.
    The God-concept in each will wander the wastelands until it finds some-anything to attach to.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Where I work (hospital), if you don't get an annual flu shot you do wear a mask. Not new this year, it's been the policy for several years now.

If we didn't have a reasonably effective seasonal flu vaccine widely available, you would probably have seen a push for masks before this year. The vaccine changes the risk equation.
    A hospital is a place full of sick and dying people who may also have communicable nasty diseases that you don't want to catch and spread yourself. But out in public is no place for the severely immunocompromised/at risk. That's why they are sent to hospitals in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Sweden is not as diverse as the US, but it is significantly more diverse than other European countries that did lock down.
    Interesting. Why do you think they didn't lockdown when neighboring Norway.

As an aside, you guys really need to stop responding to Harshray or whatever his name is. Don't throw your pearls before swine. The man is obviously operating on a different plane of existance than the rest of the board