starting strength gym
Page 507 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 740745749750550650750850951755760710071507 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
    Pro mask supporters point to the mask wearing culture in a successful country like Japan.

Japan had no lockdown and only so far recorded 985 COVID deaths.

But why didn't the masks work out for them in 2019?

Millions in Japan affected as flu outbreak grips country - UPI.com
    Reposting for context.

A quick history of why Asians wear surgical masks in public — Quartz

This is all about getting Trump out because Trump hasn't done enough for Israel. American foreign policy rules the waves, and Israeli foreign policy rules the US Senate. Trump hasn't unleashed the US forces on Syria; he hasn't been warmongering against Russia or North Korea (both trade partners of Iran), and the Israelis are itching to unleash their US proxy army onto the Iranians. The Israelis haven't their allies Da'esh to rely on anymore, since Trump didn't see things as Obama did, and with Putin's help, all but wiped these Wahhabis off the map.

They saw an opportunity, and jumped on it. And, by the way, Sweden is arguably the nation with the least favourable attitudes towards Israel in Europe. This, i believe, is why Sweden took a more realistic stance towards this Coronavirus. Throughout the rest of Europe, especially the larger nations, every parliamentary party is locked-down with a 'Friends of Israel' type group. For example, the Conservative Party in Britain (there is nothing 'conservative' about them - they are merely left-wing Capitalists) doesn't always voice disapproval of Trump, but they are arguably the most pro-Israel political party in Europe.

PS Belarus just likes to make a point of doing things it's own way for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    This is all about getting Trump out because Trump hasn't done enough for Israel. American foreign policy rules the waves, and Israeli foreign policy rules the US Senate. Trump hasn't unleashed the US forces on Syria; he hasn't been warmongering against Russia or North Korea (both trade partners of Iran), and the Israelis are itching to unleash their US proxy army onto the Iranians. The Israelis haven't their allies Da'esh to rely on anymore, since Trump didn't see things as Obama did, and with Putin's help, all but wiped these Wahhabis off the map.
    This is the least-compelling explanation I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is the least-compelling explanation I have ever heard.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
    Pro mask supporters point to the mask wearing culture in a successful country like Japan.

Japan had no lockdown and only so far recorded 985 COVID deaths.
    Two things:

#1- I think the disease hits the obese unhealthy population the worst. Japan is one the best in this regard. USA....no so hot. S.Korea , Vietnam, a lot of S.E.Asian countries low obesity rate. PLUS ability to lockdown, contact trace, quarantine camps, etc. = very good results.
    Australia and NZ?.... don't know how long they can keep it under wraps.

#2- Japan did "lockdown" in a sense. Their government cannot legally issue or enforce a lockdown order the way it's set up. The government knows this, told the people this("we can't legally lock you citizens down"), but nevertheless the govt ASKED for the citizenry to stay home as much as possible, social distance, comply, etc. For the most part the public has complied.

But why didn't the masks work out for them in 2019?

Millions in Japan affected as flu outbreak grips country - UPI.com
    Well...in the photo from that article you linked almost no one is wearing a mask. Even the police. The article sounds like that year's flu spread was far and wide by the time the government said to "please wear a mask now, we have a flu outbreak". Maybe getting out in front of the problem is the better move this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    Why?
    Because the Trump Administration has done quite a bit more for Israel than most previous administrations, and I see no particular empathy for Israel in the Senate. The Obama administration was openly hostile to Israel, and he was "allowed" to stay in office. But you probably know more about it than I do, so let's hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    If the US response to COVID is the new standard, then we will need to close schools, mask and social distance forever with each new influenza season.

Another piece by Horowitz that, I don't think, has been presented here.

Horowitz: If the panicmongers were consistent, we’d close the schools every flu season - Conservative Review
    No. Covid is not flu. Covid is dramatically more contagious and deadly. AND we have flu vaccines that tend to work. Why is this so hard for you?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    No. Covid is not flu. Covid is dramatically more contagious and deadly. AND we have flu vaccines that tend to work. Why is this so hard for you?
    From NYC Covid-19 experience - Megan Watkins - Google Docs

First and foremost, the virus is real. It is real and could be fatal to those susceptible. But! (I have been saying this since January and my medical friends are going to hate me for saying this once again…) It is just another “flu”. One cannot even say it’s like SARS or MERS. These two viruses had mortality rates upwards of 35% (How do SARS and MERS compare with COVID-19?). At this point, July 2020, the mortality rate of Covid-19 worldwide is 0.04% (WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard | WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard). As our country is completing the highest rate of testing in the world, we are seeing our case numbers increase and our mortality rate decrease! This is great news! Hear me out. First, it shows promise to achieving herd immunity as more and more of the population contracts this virus. Which will eventually protect our immunocompromised, elderly, and otherwise susceptible populations. Second, it shows us that the mortality rate is not as high as once predicted – everyday the number gets closer and closer to flu mortality rates.
    Now, you're not going to argue with both Science AND the first-hand experience of a healthcare worker of the Front Lines, are you now, muntz? You do realize that the flu vaccines we have don't usually work very well at all, do you, muntz? Why is this so hard for you, muntz?

Don't answer, I'll just delete it anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    It's not hard for me at all, because Horowitz is correct.