starting strength gym
Page 51 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 414950515253611011515511051 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    Ralph Northam just single handedly destroyed small business in Virginia. All nonessential businesses must CLOSE for at least 30 days. The “bluer” the state the more draconian the measures
    Same in Nevada. If you don’t sell food or operate a business that we deem necessary, you are a non-essential business. This makes you a non-essential citizen . Your family and well being are non essential. You can’t be wise enough to enact distance and sanitation policies to keep your self and family above water Your government has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Not the most coherent analysis (unsurprising, given this guy entertains the notion that demonic spirits may be invading the internet).

He starts off with a rant that epidemiologists don't have enough of an understanding of the ground reality, and are operating in a vacuum (I'm heavily steelmanning his position here).

He then goes on to say that the situation isn't that bad, because only old people will die, and that trying to save their lives is mostly futile (and "their time has come"), and ITUs basically have no value when applied to them.

His argument is as naive and ill informed as someone claiming that putting the economy on hold for a month is basically equivalent to losing a month's worth of earnings.

Rip, this only counts as sanity in the sense that his conclusion is the same as yours. I *really* would like to believe that your reasoning for arriving at this conclusion is of a higher quality than the travesty displayed by Mr Charlton.
    Not surprising -- you're a Statto.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    Same in Nevada. If you don’t sell food or operate a business that we deem necessary, you are a non-essential business. This makes you a non-essential citizen . Your family and well being are non essential. You can’t be wise enough to enact distance and sanitation policies to keep your self and family above water Your government has spoken.
    Is the Governor of Nevada a Democrat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Yes

Not going to be a shortage of rare intensive therapy facilities unless such a shortage is artificially-created by treating people who would not, and should not, be treated under normal conditions of humane medical practice.
    Except, there https://catalyst.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/CAT.20.0080]is[/url] such a shortage. It is not because of softening morals concerning the treatment of elderly - age limits for ICU admission are very much in place. It is because of intrinsic characteristics of COVID-19: asymptomatic transmission with a 5-day incubation time, the high percentage of patients who require ventilatory support, the relatively long recovery time, and the lack of an accepted, effective treatment.

ICU space and ventilators aren't the only things running out. So is PPE. And plain old hospital space, which young patients still need to recover. The Javits Center is now a field hospital. Is that for the artificially-created case load?

These shortages should be solved efficiently - for example, the Bergamo doctors (linked above) suggest home visits and "fever hospitals" more reminiscent of 19th century medicine than modern "patient-centered care". But it is ridiculous to pretend the shortages don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    But it is ridiculous to pretend the shortages don't exist.
    Kinda like toilet paper.

Here's a great example of local authoritarian overreach, from Ft. Worth TX:

http://www.tarrantcounty.com/content..._Amendment.pdf

Therefore #3: This Declaration authorizes the County to commandeer or use any private property as provided by law.

Signed by County Judge B. Glen Whitley (R).

KTherefore #3: This Declaration authorizes the County to commandeer or use any private property as provided by law.
    They've included churches as places people aren't allowed to gather. I can't wait to see what kind of lawsuits that generates after this is all done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    Yes
    It seems that most (certainly not all, see the Ft. Worth example) of the jurisdictions that have enacted the most onerous responses are run by Democrats. This is not entirely surprising. If we're allowed to have an election this fall, we should remember this.

It's clear that many posters here do not deem the global reaction to COVID-19 commensurate with the threat it poses.

The following question is meant as a genuine attempt at a meeting of minds.

Is there any viral scenario (a different virus with different properties) that would warrant enforced and strict social distancing measures (assuming the limited resources we have, and I'm including here resources like public awareness, education, testing capabilities)?

Or is [freedom to associate] moral bedrock/sacred?

I'm not interested in hearing from any British journalist. But the this video is damned useful. Watch it.
    This video and the Charlton article are not only the best two medical opinions about this charade available right now, they are the best anything about COVID19 right now. Everyone on the planet needs to see both of those texts, right now if not sooner.

It seems that most (certainly not all, see the Ft. Worth example) of the jurisdictions that have enacted the most onerous responses are run by Democrats. This is not entirely surprising. If we're allowed to have an election this fall, we should remember this.
    Everyone is losing their job in November, regardless of party. That little meltdown POTUS had on twitter in the middle of the night last night is him shitting his pants about losing his job in a few months. No fucking way the economy recovers in time for November and he knows it. Bad economy=new politicians. Just ask H.W. Bush about this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Is there any viral scenario (a different virus with different properties) that would warrant enforced and strict social distancing measures (assuming the limited resources we have, and I'm including here resources like public awareness, education, testing capabilities)?

Or is [freedom to associate] moral bedrock/sacred?
    Depends on who you talk to. I'm not going to be in prison, even if they call it "shelter in place" -- house arrest is house arrest. I think that if I don't want to get sick, I'll stay home and not let anyone in. I think you should do the same thing, but you probably don't think like me. You probably think that if this was ebola, controlling the daily behavior of everybody in the nation would be justified, and I'm not going to say that, because if it was ebola people would do all this shit voluntarily. I think that vaccination is a reasonable public health measure, and that if you want to make that mandatory I could go along with it. But this insane shit makes no sense from a public health perspective, for reasons already discussed. The reason we're resisting so hard is that the promised piles of bodies haven't materialized yet, and we're all beginning to realize that they probably aren't going to.

More importantly, people are beginning to realize that this looks awfully similar to a naked power grab by petty tyrants and their bosses higher up. This is the kind of shit that makes people talk about the New World Order/Trilateral Commission/Council on Foreign Relations/Bilderbergers, etc. If you destroy all our small businesses and put our employees out of work, you're creating a lot of frustration and resentment, especially since the vast overwhelming majority of people don't know anybody that's dead of this shit that wasn't already sick with something else in a rest home, if they know anybody dead of this shit at all. It's hard to be concerned with an overwhelmed healthcare system when you're out of toilet paper and flour. This whole thing stinks, and people are waking up -- if these politicians want to keep their jobs, they have a very short time left to leave us the fuck alone.