starting strength gym
Page 515 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1541546550551351451551651752556561510151515 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,150 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    It doesn't meet statistical significance, but is a trend toward effectiveness of masks.
    Irrespective of the mask issue, and not directed at you JF, but this is one of the most frustrating shifts in thinking in modern research. It is pure bullshit. There is no such thing. You either meet your pre-determined threshold for statistical significance, or you don't.

Saying something "trends" is tantamount to saying, "the data set doesn't support the thing we were trying to demonstrate, but we really want it to". I see the word "trend" creeping into more and more conclusions and it's irritating as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
    Bully for you. If wearing a mask makes you feel better, great. However, if you really think wearing a mask will bring an end to this nonsense any sooner, please continue to think it but don't expect others share in your dream. Your reasoning is exactly what "they" want: compliance, regardless of your internal motivation.
    It makes me feel better to make others feel better. Me wearing a mask doesn't harm you, and you not wearing a mask doesn't harm me (provided you don't have covid and are not coughing on me). I think people should have the freedom not to wear them. I think if we see a person in a mask we should be more concerned that THEY are sick (why else would you wear one?).

I don't put much faith in "facial coverings" because they are mostly (not completely) useless for most scenario's. Unless I am wearing a SCBA or at least a N95 mask they won't help me. Unless I'm wearing a non-vent N95 mask it won't likely help others around me if I am sick. The big assumption in all this mask wearing nonsense about "your mask protects me" is that the person wearing the mask is actually sick. Please, if you are sick, don't go out and spread it!! Masks introduce all types of other issues like decreasing blood-oxygen levels, protecting rioters types from identity, making you breath your own burps, and being used by soccer moms for virtue signaling. I get it.. people are tired of conflicting information and rampaging government.

But that wasn't my point.

My point was the best way to end this nonsense is to take away their case, to remove their pandemic, to make them confront the validity of their decisions, like Trump is trying to do with his reverse-psychology trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    Trump says coronavirus masks are '''patriotic''' after months of largely resisting wearing one

Brilliant.. I hope he keeps up with this new angle... My guess is masks will be fully optional within 2 weeks if he does.

Can I be honest and real about this mask thing: It's not the end of the world. I wear a mask when I go out not because of virtue signaling or because I'm a sheep, it's because the discomfort it causes me to wear one into a store for 5 minutes is worth it so I don't freak out some poor person that believes the Communist News Network. They are people too and I respect my neighbors, even ones with different opinions.

We need to take care of the people in our communities and part of that is respecting others. "They" are trying to divide and conquer everyone for votes, but they don't live near you, it's up to you to protect your house, your family, your neighbors, etc. Practicing good covid19 precautions like social distancing, wearing masks, hand washing, etc is very little effort. Don't do it because they ordered you to, they are largely full of S@#T and making it up as they go. Do it because we need to take their ammunition away. Do it while saying "F@#K you" behind your mask to every one of them. Look at masks like the useless words of all these politicians, they do nothing but use them anyway. If these bureaucrats / news agencies have proven anything they have proven that the numbers of cases can be leveraged to drive any radical policy decision they wish, so for the love of god, mask or not, please do your part to stop spreading it and feeding their numbers (lest they continue use them against us). Sooner or later everyone will realize that covid is spreading if they are wearing masks or not, the deaths will continue to drop, herd immunity will take a greater effect, and this thing will blow over. Don't make needless enemies in the meantime. When the stuff truly does hit the fan you don't need your neighbor sore at you for not wearing a mask, you need that person as your friend.
    I'd be fine with wearing the mask if I really thought that they worked and that wearing them would end this, but I just can't believe that anymore. Ohio shut down for over two and a half months and we're still dealing with it. If masks are so important and effective, does that mean the shut-down was for nothing? Millions of lost jobs that could have been avoided if everyone had just worn masks? If that's the reality of the situation, it makes me even angrier that the governors shut down their states economies, because all that destruction was completely avoidable if they'd have just told people to wear face coverings from the start.

On the other hand, if masks are essentially ineffective (except for the N95 masks, etc), then am I not just giving the grandma who's shopping at Kroger a false sense of security? If masks are only marginally effective, isn't she better off continuing to shelter in place while everyone else continues to go about their business? How many elderly people are taking extra trips to the grocery store when they should opt for road-side pickup or getting a family member to help pick up their groceries?

I understand putting people at ease and making them feel comfortable, but there is a point at which good intentions have the opposite effect. In the case of masks it seems like it would be better to tell those who aren't comfortable going out without a mask that they need to keep staying at home until they hear the all-clear signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, Gerald, sometimes it's necessary, especially when it is correct.
    No, Mark, it is never OK, it's a slippery sloop with never a good outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Hmm, is it just me, or is anyone else getting a distinct whiff of anti-semitism drifting across the Atlantic from the UK?
    This is nothing new, you come to expect it after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    I am always puzzled about Zionist dual citizens in the higher levels of US government, as well. Chuck Schumer, for example, who describes himself as a "guardian of Israel" seemingly has no problem with the very effective hard border walls to keep the African illegals out of Israel and maintain it as a de facto ethno-state, but has a very different attitude about border wall funding in the United States.
    Its statements like these that have set off Mr. Hurling's alarm, and he's right. This is an ancient anti-semetic trope that claims that all Jews have a secret, hidden, "dual loyalty" to Israel or Jewry or Zion or some such other nonsense (it has been around long before the modern state of Israel) and every Jew is secretly waiting for the right opportunity (or signal from the Elders or whatever) to betray their home country in favor of a mysterious, undefined, greater Jewish good. The Dreyfus Affair in France is perhaps the textbook example of this particular trope being played out.

The reality of the situation is that there are zero members of Congress or the Senate who are Israeli citizens. Being born a Jew does not automatically make one a citizen of Israel. You have to be born in Israel to be a naturalized citizen (duh...). There may be an actual Israeli dual-citizen somewhere among the ranks of "the higher levels of US government", considering that category includes thousands of people, but I doubt it, as the state department takes that issue very seriously, and having served in a foreign army automatically disqualifies you from working for the State Department.

Jews do enjoy a right of return, whereby a Jew who returns to Israel can become an Israeli citizen, but you have to go through the normal citizenship channels (learn Hebrew, join the army, etc.) and aren't just automatically granted citizenship once you set foot on Israeli soil. Incidentally, the right of return is not unique to Israel--20 or so other countries give their ethnic diasporas the same opportunity, including France, Ireland, Armenia, Poland, Germany, Greece, Ghana, Spain, etc.

Also, Israel doesn't share borders with any African country, so the suggestion that there's a border wall between Israel and its African neighbors is simply not true. There is a wall between Israel and Palestine, but Palestine is not in Africa. Also, there are many African Jews living in Israel, particularly from Ethiopia, so your suggestion that Israel wants to keep Africans out is just nonsense. You haven't leveled any valid critiques against Israel or its foreign policy that would substantiate your claim that any critique of Israel is being stifled by calling it anti-semitism. This is just the same plain old, garden variety, anti-semitism that Europe has produced from centuries.

Anyway, I hope this was a teaching moment. I don't think most Europeans know how endemic anti-semitism is in Europe so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's simple ignorance rather than malice that allows it to proliferate. Mr. Hurling is not wrong and Mr. Jackson is not malicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, Gerald, sometimes it's necessary, especially when it is correct.
    I agree, but the reality of this particular flavour of race-based identity politics means the woke, vengeful libtards who coined and popularised the pejorative "Karen" to describe specifically white women, whom they perceive to behave in a racially stereotypical way, would also have no problem with ruining a person's life if they used the pejorative "Tyrone", for example, to describe military aged black males who, as a demographic, statistically commit violent crime at higher rates than all other races. It simply does not go both ways, and that is by design.

I get it, the woman in his gym sounded like an impolite and entitled cunt - but make no mistake, "Karen" was originally designed to be an anti-white meme. The mind virus that is feminism has a lot to answer for, including this ridiculous sense of aggressive hyper-entitlement. It is still a patriarchal society where a woman could hypothetically pretty much sit on her arse all day and be taken care of, and yet somehow still feel aggrieved and oppressed by the men who get tasked with society's worst, dirtiest and most dangerous jobs, but let's not try to combat this idea with more anti-whiteness.

I just noticed this on twitter. It seems Associated Press wants to outdo the New York Times, who said they were going to capitalize "Black" in future... It's not April 1st.

"NEW YORK (AP) — After changing its usage rules last month to capitalize the word “Black” when used in the context of race and culture, The Associated Press on Monday said it would not do the same for “white.”

The AP said white people in general have much less shared history and culture, and don’t have the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color."

URL="https://apnews.com/7e36c00c5af0436abc09e051261fff1f"]https://apnews.com/7e36c00c5af0436abc09e051261fff1f[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post

Why would wearing a mask improperly be more hazardous than wearing it properly, if a properly worn mask is ineffective?
    *Touching dirty shit, like dumbells that someone just sweat all over then adjusting your mask, contaminating both the mask and your face.
    *Reusing a mask for multiple days as many of us do.
    *Taking your mask off and placing it on a contaminated surface then back on your face.

These are all examples of improper usage of a mask and I observe pretty much everyone doing this at the gym. Do you see how this would increase your risk of infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    That's SIR Oswald Mosley to you.
    If you and the other guy had stuck to just calling "them" zionists, instead of leading off with calling them Jewwwwsssss, you might both be more credible in your follow up eraser phrase denials.

I wasn't previously a big fan of Tony Robbins, but now I'm ready for some self-help: Unmasking The Science You Aren’t Hearing On TV | COVID-19 Facts from the Frontline - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Mayo Clinic - May 9th - Twitter: Health Experts discouraging people from wearing N95 respirator masks
    Wearing masks in public is our new normal. Health experts have concerns over people wearing N95 respirator masks, which have a breathing valve. The air you breathe in is filtered, but the air you exhale is not, putting others at risk.
    ;-)