starting strength gym
Page 542 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 4244249253254054154254354455259264210421542 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is one of the most brilliant works of complete and utter bullshit I have ever seen. Honest Government Ad | A message from the White House - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    Not sure if this video has been posted before, but watch Fauci's (or should I say Fraudci?) reaction when questioned by Rep. Jim Jordan:

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/sta...08787774054401

Make no mistake, Fauci speaks as a politician/administrator first; doctor second.
    I dislike Fauci, but Jordan is not much better than all the democrats interviewing Barr, or even democrats interviewing Fauci. They are simply focused "gotcha" questions to only get their point across. Fauci said crowds should be banned... the states with protests should run with that and squash it... but they won't because they....

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Ummm really? What made you come to this conclusion? Stalin’s rants against the capitalists of the West? The warm and fuzzy Brezhnev?

I had the opposite reaction in the 80s at sea. First time you saw a Soviet warship you knew they meant business.

Mostly because I quickly learned that “All that glitters is not gold” Before I entered the service, I already knew that my government routinely lied and that our military leadership had lied about Vietnam. It didn't take much thinking to realizes that they were probably lying about the threat from the Russians/Soviets.

As far as all the War Toys they had, they were just trying to keep up with us. Or maybe we were trying to keep up with them. Or maybe it was just a bloody Arms Race with each side feeding of the other. Of course, on our side, there was a lot of money to be made beating the war drums. Likely they were more afraid of us, then we were of them.

Since the wall opened, I've had the chance to talk with a few Russians and Soviet block folks, even played tourist in Bulgaria a couple of times, first time was Nov 1991 (I was stationed in Northern Greece). The impression I got, was they really like us, wish they could be us, and can't understand why we keep making them out to be the bogeyman. So yes, I am of the opinion, given the chance, Russia would become one of our greatest allies.

On a side note, I expressed this opinion when I was interviewed for my TSSBI.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Every couple of days I think about the guys at the start of this thread who said, "Just you wait a couple of weeks. Everything is going to spike up exponentially and then you'll be glad we locked everything down. Then we'll see who the real idiots are."

Four and a half months later and I'm still waiting.
    Hahaha they were running the same speech here. The next teo weeks are the crucial. It got to be a trope pretty soon. Dunno, it seems to me that the whole clickbait mania has run its course here. Mind you, we don’t have anything resembling the multi billion media industry you guys do. You can safely ignore the mask mandate now. Most of the waiters are carrying their masks around their elbows. The only ones pushing the “new normal” idiocy are the digital marketers now.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    Lets see a study of people who didn't need hospitalization, or maybe had a non-icu recovery, and see if they are worse off?
    This is in the paper, as two control groups.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Did you happen to evaluate the other risks for long-term pulmonary/cardiac issues or other respiratory viruses and/or follow-on bacterial pneumonia?
    This, on the other hand, is not.

Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    Not sure if this video has been posted before, but watch Fauci's (or should I say Fraudci?) reaction when questioned by Rep. Jim Jordan:

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/sta...08787774054401

Make no mistake, Fauci speaks as a politician/administrator first; doctor second.
    Well, at least the spotlight is on the CDC now. Maybe people will learn that the CDC is a private Vaccine company, and that CDC employee patent holders (like Fauci) can earn up to $150,00/year per patent. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Back to the HCQ controversy: New Italian HCQ trial/study results published today
    the use of hydroxycholoroquine + azithromycin was associated with a 66% reduction in risk of death as compared to controls; the analysis also suggested a larger effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine in patients with less severe COVID-19 disease (PO2/FiO2 > 300, interaction p-value<.0001). Our results are remarkably similar to those shown by Arshad et al.
    Perhaps the P-Value Nerds here can shed light on the validity of this. I don't know the current death rate of covid19, but seems like halfing it would allow us to get back to normalcy....without a possibly unsafe vaccine that possibly doesn't work. Follow the money.

And, the World Economic Forum tweeted a short video today describing the CovidPass. You will need this in order to participate in many of society's activities such as travel....or maybe even going into Starbucks? It will launch in September.

We are cattle. But, this thread gives me hope.

I remember a podcast where Rip said he managed to get hold of the local hospital's pandemic response casualty projections. Did that ever get posted anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Every couple of days I think about the guys at the start of this thread who said, "Just you wait a couple of weeks. Everything is going to spike up exponentially and then you'll be glad we locked everything down. Then we'll see who the real idiots are."

Four and a half months later and I'm still waiting.
    Same. I hope someone is finding these people and punching their momma in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    This is one of the most brilliant works of complete and utter bullshit I have ever seen. Honest Government Ad | A message from the White House - YouTube
    They found a gal who looks like Tulsi Gabbard. Precious.

Default Why are you against masks?

starting strength coach development program
    Oh boy, this post is probably gonna get me a whole lot of hate, but I'm genuinely confused. Rip, you seem like a logically minded guy who values tangible effects over idealogical posturing and I'm in agreement with a lot of your other views on Covid situation, so I'm hoping we can have a straightforward conversation about the facts in this matter and not descend into personal attacks. Would be a refreshing break from the polarized political echo chambers that seem to be defining a lot of communication right now.

Why are you against the idea of wearing masks? I'm totally with you that the Covid-19 response in America has been a poorly handled mess rooted in hysteria, and ultimately done more harm economically and psychologically than it has done good medically. But there are a couple points in the particular case of masks that run contrary to your opinions, am I'm wondering how you account for them:

1. Wearing a mask costs almost nothing. The monetary price is negligible. There's mild facial discomfort and it's little sweaty when working out, but I've been lifting heavy in one quite frequently for over a month and never really encountered a problem. I've maxed out on deadlifts in a mask, I've squatted a heavy 5x5 in a mask. It's maybe about as bad as a gym with crappy air conditioning, but certainly no worse. You sweat, but it's just not a big deal. Having people take the low-cost precaution of mask wearing seems perfectly fine if it allows them to return to work, gym, etc, and is certainly much preferable to extremely costly, economically destructive measures like business closure and lockdown.

2. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out why a mask would help protect yourself and others against coronavirus. Covid-19 is a respiratory disease that you catch by breathing shit in, and spread by breathing shit out. You don't need to cite any scientific studies to figure out that putting a filter in front of the thing you use to breath will help reduce the chances of both, even if that filter is imperfect, and in any event, certainly can do no physical harm. At worst, a mask does nothing, but common sense would seem to indicate that they would help at least a little bit.

3. As a young man (25), I'm feeling the economic effects of the coronavirus very strongly. I went from having a full-time salaried position supporting my own life to having to live at home with my parents, and feeling relatively lucky over the fact that I could snag a part time gig doing contract work in a related field after several months of unemployment. I'm more fortunate than some, but rebuilding my life is going to take a lot of hard work when this is over. I want to move on with my life, I want things to open and stay open. I want to see a rebuilt sense of public confidence so that people can start having opportunities again. The absolute last thing I want to see is another lockdown where I lose my job, my gym access, and my sense of stability and purpose all over again, and the country is further economically and psychologically damaged. In the interest of this, it seems like a strategy of individuals taking common sense precautions and allowing businesses to resume normal function is the best path forward. Masks seem like part of this. They cost nothing, their efficacy is based in common sense, and honestly, even in the case that masks are a totally ineffective piece of security theatre, if they help quell some misguided fears and restore some peoples confidence in going out and getting the country running again, that is a huge benefit, which cannot be understated.

4. Not here to debate the existence or non-existence of Covid, but as it's topically relevant, here is how I view the situation. Covid-19 is a real disease, which causes cold and flu-like symptoms. It spreads easily, potentially causing a high number of cases. The vast majority of these are extremely minor, and there is a very low possibility of actual death or permanent impairment, which almost always occurs in people who were already at risk in some form or another to infectious illness. The actual number of deaths it causes is less important than the fact that it causes an unusual form of death, which we as humans find frightening. People fear getting it as people often fear the unknown. This fear of unusual death, combined with the rapid way it is able to spread is an easy equation for hysteria. This hysteria has lead to an inconsistent, poorly planned response with the economically destructive effects we've already witnessed. I believe any proper response has to take into account the medical, psychological, and economic costs and benefits involved, and pick those strategies that minimize costs while maximizing benefits. Masks would seem from the above points to provide some measure of medical and psychological benefit while accruing almost zero economic cost. So why hate on them?

Apologies for the essay, but hope you can shed some light on your views on the matter. Thanks!

For anyone who feels like responding to this with add hominem attacks, ideological rhetoric, or troll humor, I'm really not interested. People have died from Covid-19, a lot more people are unemployed from the response, and literally everyone has had important aspects of their lives disrupted in some way, shape, or form. This isn't funny, it is reality that we are living, and it's worth having a serious conversation about.