starting strength gym
Page 588 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 8848853857858658758858959059863868810881588 ... LastLast
Results 5,871 to 5,880 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    The NPR article is not even propaganda, it’s just a made up story. None of the characters are real. I worked as a journalist for ten years, this thing has all the hallmarks of a Stephen Glass story. The friend whose name we won’t disclose, the reddit people, the only one with a citation is an economist.

Btw, what is is with the damned economists, when did they become so hot?
    And look at what that economist is saying; is any of it insightful or something that a person with a basic knowledge of human behavior and logical reasoning could come up with, if they didn't know already intuitively?

They do it to give a sheen of authority to arguments or really assertions of opinion. Murray Rothbard called them court intellectuals, whose job is ultimately to run interference for the regime. Basically, they are the ones telling everyone, "but I can see the emperor's clothes very clearly and I went to school for a decade."

Btw, what is is with the damned economists, when did they become so hot?
    No doubt it has something to do with numbers and models.

Plus, Trump gets the blame for everything that goes wrong.
    You can substitute Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, Daddy Bush, and Bush the Younger for Trump at any point on the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Horseshit from NPR: Secret Gyms And The Economics Of Prohibition : Planet Money : NPR
    Journalism:
    Propaganda.
    It seems the bigger globo-gym chains would have started an association of some sort ... that's what many large industries do.
    I wonder if it would pay to hire a 3rd party consultant to survey ALL their clients for COVID19-infections, sickness, and deaths.
    I bet you'd find that the exercised-population is having an easier time of it, having asymptomatic cases .... the very-limited-spreading variety.
    Once this thing dies down a bit, and settles down into a regular flu bug (which it essentially is), its just going to resurface next winter a bit.
    It would seem a study like that would be some useful ammo to keep gyms open in the future.

1 - I'm betting a population that trains/exercises isn't going to get infected as easily and/or infect others.

2 - Gyms aren't the huge-spreader mechanisms as claimed by the government and other (...mostly because of #1).

Mark, you should have your SSC's poll their clients. Who tested positive for C19, were they even sick, how long, and how they fared?

Sure the government has taken away their gyms. But they were (probably) more robust right up to that point, due to the long term exercise/training.
    Also, they were going to their dirty super-spreader gyms right up until their local shutdown took place.
    So by all accounts they should have greater odds of getting sick, right ? or no? why?

I guess the data collection would obviously be biased.

Gov. Cuomo has new book about leading NY through COVID-19

A hero so amazing only HE could write the story of how amazing he is.

Meanwhile at Iowa State University (ISU), where my wife and I dropped off our freshman son last week, a stand has been taken against the cancelistas:

Iowa State Forces Professor to Lift Ban on Criticism of Black Lives Matter

I especially like this part of the university’s reply: “Moreover, the faculty member is being provided additional information regarding the First Amendment policies of the university."

As part of ISU’s orientation, their position on free speech and tolerance of diverse viewpoints was laid out for students and parents to read. So far ISU is sticking with their policy. One small victory? We’ll see what backlash there will be. Go Cyclones

Quote Originally Posted by strongmonkey View Post
    COVID vaccine likely to be mandatory in Australia, Scott Morrison says after signing deal with Oxford University - ABC News

"During a round of morning media, Mr Morrison repeatedly said he expected push back from anti-vaccination campaigners.
    But he repeatedly said he was the minister who introduced a "no jab, no play" rule, and his stance on vaccinations was clear and would not change."

Concerning use of language here at the very least.
    There was some arseclown journo on TV this morning, saying anyone who refuses a vaccine is an idiot. Because his uncle or some other rellie had polio. Brilliant.

It seems these people are conveniently forgetting Pandemrix. Sure, expose your kids to the, admittedly unlikely, risk of brain damage, for a virus for which the current average age of death in Australia is 85.

Why a pandemic flu shot caused narcolepsy | Science | AAAS

You can unlock this with Scihub - Pandemrix vaccine: why was the public not told of early warning signs? | The BMJ

You people in Australia have some interesting problems to solve with your leadership. We all do. Very soon it will be time to stop being "nice."

You people in Australia have some interesting problems to solve with your leadership. We all do. Very soon it will be time to stop being "nice."
    Indeed I agree. But as mentioned, people hate rocking the boat. For most, confrontation is to be avoided at all cost, and our leaders know this.

Personally I am not anti-vaccine either. I have always had shots throughout my life and will continue to have them under any normal circumstances.
    But THIS or any COVID vaccine I am opposed to and will not comply with. Firstly it has been rushed and pushed through staging processes much faster than typical vaccine timelines. We all know through personal experience what happens when you rush any important task, mistakes can and will be made.

Secondly, the entire handling of this crisis from the start has been sickening to the core. Extra talk of any "mandatory" vaccinations or regulations is enough to make me (and I hope others) refuse on principle alone, regardless of the experts and their SCIENCE.

starting strength coach development program
    ...NPR...Propaganda.
    Our wonderful state-run media outlet.

What is the purpose of state-run media if not propaganda?