COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 589

starting strength gym
Page 589 of 744 FirstFirst ... 89489539579587588589590591599639689 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,890 of 7431

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #5881
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    193

    Default

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    No doubt it has something to do with numbers and models.
    Graphs seem to be the favorite thing

  2. #5882
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,272

    Default

    Nice little piece that adds to what we know about NYC's future: When Half Of NYC’s Tax Base Leaves And Never Comes Back | Intellectual Takeout

    We used to do seminars in Brooklyn, and I hated the attitude that filled the air: smug self-satisfaction with having had the good sense to leave their previous corn fields and slums for the hippest digs on earth. Enjoy!

    It’s snapshot simple. The wealthy and the companies they work for pay most of the taxes. The poor consume most of the taxes through social programs. COVID is driving the wealthy and their offices out of the city. No one will be left to pay for the poor, who are stuck here, and the city will collapse in the transition. A classic failed state scenario.

  3. #5883
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nice little piece that adds to what we know about NYC's future: When Half Of NYC’s Tax Base Leaves And Never Comes Back | Intellectual Takeout

    We used to do seminars in Brooklyn, and I hated the attitude that filled the air: smug self-satisfaction with having had the good sense to leave their previous corn fields and slums for the hippest digs on earth. Enjoy!
    Your schadenfreude is muddling your analytical skills.

    This: "Technology and work-at-home changes have eliminated geography" is definitely not generally true - as you may have observed in your own domain of endeavor. We are mammals who want to smell each other before we really trust each other. We can be organized into companies at a distance, but the work that matters most takes place in the trenches and there, real, not virtual face-to-face interactions will always rule/out compete the alternatives.

    It's going to be a painful period for NY and other cities, but as soon as it is possible to operate without the physical distance, folks will rush back in.

    This disease is exposing a lot in very concrete ways about how we are organized and how wealth and privilege are distributed - for good and ill - in the face of a universally shared threat. One might hope that this could lead to more fairness, in the long run. Of course, if one fundamentally models ones reality on a lifeboat with limited carrying capacity and a population that far exceeds it, one will not see the possibility of such an outcome.

  4. #5884
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nice little piece that adds to what we know about NYC's future: When Half Of NYC’s Tax Base Leaves And Never Comes Back | Intellectual Takeout

    We used to do seminars in Brooklyn, and I hated the attitude that filled the air: smug self-satisfaction with having had the good sense to leave their previous corn fields and slums for the hippest digs on earth. Enjoy!
    This is interesting...

    “If they want a tax increase, don’t make New York alone do a tax increase, then they just have the people move to Connecticut. Let the federal government pass a tax increase. And let them apply it all across the country, so you don’t hurt any one state. Because if you take people who are highly mobile, and you tax them, well then they’ll just move next door where the tax treatment is simpler. It has to be done on a federal level,” Cuomo said on a conference call with reporters.

    He clearly understands that taxation will drive the rich out of New York, but he thinks the solution is to tax the rich at the federal level. What does he believe is stopping the billionaires from leaving the US as well?

  5. #5885
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nice little piece that adds to what we know about NYC's future!
    The problem with all this is with the electoral college. Red will soon become blue. Blue will stay blue. They are very well aware of this.

  6. #5886
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nice little piece that adds to what we know about NYC's future: When Half Of NYC’s Tax Base Leaves And Never Comes Back | Intellectual Takeout

    We used to do seminars in Brooklyn, and I hated the attitude that filled the air: smug self-satisfaction with having had the good sense to leave their previous corn fields and slums for the hippest digs on earth. Enjoy!
    I don't get it. You're casting moral aspersions on someone for wanting to leave a place that you freely acknowledge is a slum?

    Don't you think it would be more prudent to focus your energy on the free-market fundamentalists that transformed the American south into one big slum by preventing the government from regulating villanous, predatory opioid clinics, destroyed American manufacturing to make a quick buck, et cetera et cetera? Why blame the people for responding to the immiseration of their homelands, even if you dislike their demeanor?

  7. #5887
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nice little piece that adds to what we know about NYC's future: When Half Of NYC’s Tax Base Leaves And Never Comes Back | Intellectual Takeout

    We used to do seminars in Brooklyn, and I hated the attitude that filled the air: smug self-satisfaction with having had the good sense to leave their previous corn fields and slums for the hippest digs on earth. Enjoy!
    I find the demise of NYC, formerly the greatest city in America, sad. I lived in Manhattan for six years in the late 80's-early 90's. I worked harder there than I have ever worked in my life in a couple of large law firms. There was a perverse work ethic -- my first year I worked 365 days straight. Every weekend in the office and into the night every week day. And there was unpleasantness. The stinky subways. The trash piled high on the sidewalks. But the energy of the city was intoxicating. Walking down the street you might pass a club with a blues singer and step in or find a new ethnic restaurant. On any week there was live music of every kind and art exhibitions and museums. No excuse to get bored. The mix of people was like nowhere in the country. When I stepped onto my terrace I had a perfect view of the iconic Chrysler building and the dynamic hum of the city was inescapable. My husband grew up in the infamous Dakota on Central Park West. His neighbors were Boris Karloff and one of the Gish sisters. He was a musician and bicycle messenger -- actually knocked down a few pedestrians (an NYC had the most aggressive pedestrians in the world). The city was a creative magnet. But now I would never go back. RIP.

  8. #5888
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    I don't get it. You're casting moral aspersions on someone for wanting to leave a place that you freely acknowledge is a slum?
    Socialist parasite school. A graduate with honors.

  9. #5889
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    I don't get it. You're casting moral aspersions on someone for wanting to leave a place that you freely acknowledge is a slum?
    Does the iron curtain block sarcasm or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    This is interesting...

    “If they want a tax increase, don’t make New York alone do a tax increase, then they just have the people move to Connecticut. Let the federal government pass a tax increase. And let them apply it all across the country, so you don’t hurt any one state. Because if you take people who are highly mobile, and you tax them, well then they’ll just move next door where the tax treatment is simpler. It has to be done on a federal level,” Cuomo said on a conference call with reporters.

    He clearly understands that taxation will drive the rich out of New York, but he thinks the solution is to tax the rich at the federal level. What does he believe is stopping the billionaires from leaving the US as well?
    Jesus, he wants to turn the failing cities into financial black holes that will suck in the rest of the country to try and keep them propped up.

    Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    I find the demise of NYC, formerly the greatest city in America, sad. I lived in Manhattan for six years in the late 80's-early 90's. I worked harder there than I have ever worked in my life in a couple of large law firms. There was a perverse work ethic -- my first year I worked 365 days straight. Every weekend in the office and into the night every week day. And there was unpleasantness. The stinky subways. The trash piled high on the sidewalks.
    This was when it was "good" there?

  10. #5890
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,988

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreg View Post
    This disease is exposing a lot in very concrete ways about how we are organized and how wealth and privilege are distributed - for good and ill - in the face of a universally shared threat. One might hope that this could lead to more fairness, in the long run.
    Here's the money line. Note that it more resembles the stated goals of the French revolution (liberte egalite fraternite) than our own.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •