COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 742

starting strength gym
Page 742 of 850 FirstFirst ... 242642692732740741742743744752792842 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,420 of 8495

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #7411
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    236

    Default

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    The vaccine is not necessary for any part of the population. The only thing confusing is how you arrived at the conclusion that a coronavirus, even likely modified to spread more readily, is worth the effort. These companies will only make one now because governments have overreacted more to this one pandemic than any other event in our lives.
    I never stated that itís worth the effort, I said that for the most of the population it likely isnít necessary even. I pointed out that the business opportunity is there to make money hand over fist due to the conditions that governments have created, and thatís why a vaccine could be developed now as opposed to why one wasnít developed in the past.

  2. #7412
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    RS WY
    Posts
    879

    Default

    And what I'm telling you is that if the goddamn virus with a survival rate of 99.9% somehow manages to kill half a million Americans -- it can't, do the math, Einstein. If everybody in the whole fucking country caught the virus, that would be 330,000 dead
    Unfortunately Mark it is you who is being innumerate in this particular instance.

    First you are ignoring the age specificity of the IFR. For 70+ it is (CDC best estimate) 5.4%. Now go see how many folks in the US are 70+. Then assign some percentage of infection, anywhere from 20% to 80% to get your number of 70+ infected. Then multiply by 5.4%.

    Let's assume some reasonable numbers here shall we?

    Number of 70+: 75,000,000
    Infected at 20%: 15,000,000
    Dead at 5.4% IFR: 810,000


    I can believe both that there is a genuine global pandemic going on that is going to kill half a million Americans by next summer, and that lockdowns and other legal protocols have been arbitrary, confusing, senseless, and economically damaging.
    No, you can't. The battle lines have been clearly drawn. You are either on Team Apocalypse or Team Denial. If you don't choose a side you'll be run over by both.

  3. #7413
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Rott View Post
    Yes. Covid by chance. "Hey, EU, we had to "lockdown, look at the numbers. Please give us money." They didn't have to "lockdown", no fekking country in the world had to. They chose to. Facing all the consequences, they chose to. Fuck them.
    Sure, fuck the governments, but as per your other point, ordinary people are suffering from the hysterical restrictions. I define severe as what France and Spain are doing, along with some small Nazi countries like Ireland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic. Closing all businesses and enforcing curfews. A middle ground would be what has been going on in the north and east, say Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, which means some mostly token restrictions, but no widespread shutdowns. Holland seems to be going the crazy route, but they have an election scheduled for March, so there we go. Denmark, Finland, the Baltic states, those guys are almost normal. Sweden is in a class of its own. Anyway, I don't think Germany will go the way of the southern failed states, because there is no one else to serve as guarantor for all the EU bonds and no one to enforce Basel III if it does. The gubmint might like to do it, but Mrs Merkel did coin up the ten-year plan, so she has to push it through. So Germany can expect maybe a week of localized hotspot measures, not as severe as they were in March, but lifted very soon. I doubt there will be any gym closures. But a bunch of sleazy politicians and doctors admonishing you for not adhering to the restrictions fervently enough, all that jazz. Mostly boring bullshit.

  4. #7414
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    First you are ignoring the age specificity of the IFR. For 70+ it is (CDC best estimate) 5.4%. Now go see how many folks in the US are 70+. Then assign some percentage of infection, anywhere from 20% to 80% to get your number of 70+ infected. Then multiply by 5.4%.
    The 140-character linear extrapolation that broke civilization.

    ďCasesĒ not drawn iid from the population. The most susceptible are more likely to become ďcasesď and then death statistics, earlier. It shocks no thinking person that empirical IFR has dropped markedly over time.

  5. #7415
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    61

    Default

    CNN live, Harris, you guys are fucked. I canít believe what Iím watching at. This must be comedy. Please. It just canít be serious.

  6. #7416
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Unfortunately Mark it is you who is being innumerate in this particular instance.
    Probably. Happens all the time.

    First you are ignoring the age specificity of the IFR. For 70+ it is (CDC best estimate) 5.4%. Now go see how many folks in the US are 70+.
    ~36 million. The average age of death in the US is 78.5 years. I can't find the average age of COVID-19 death in the US, but in Scotland it was 79 for men and 84 for women, on an average life expectancy of 77.1 years. Maybe COVID-19 is protective?

    COVID deaths closely match 'normal' age-related risk pattern, says expert

    Then assign some percentage of infection, anywhere from 20% to 80% to get your number of 70+ infected.
    An interesting number. Where did you get it?

    Then multiply by 5.4%.

    Let's assume some reasonable numbers here shall we?

    Number of 70+: 75,000,000
    Infected at 20%: 15,000,000
    Dead at 5.4% IFR: 810,000
    Except that 810,000 are not dead, nowhere close to that even if you believe the bullshit number of 220,000, and the death rate peaked in April and has tailed off to background numbers. There is no evidence of a significant spike in the death rate from COVID, no mechanism by which such a thing could happen, no significant excess mortality this year as compared to bad seasonal flu throughout recent history, nothing even remotely comparable to the actual population-changing pandemics in world history, and the goddamn thing is already over. The only thing that remains is The Mask, an apt metaphor for the behavior of the general public in 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Rott View Post
    CNN live, Harris, you guys are fucked. I can¬’t believe what I¬’m watching at. This must be comedy. Please. It just can¬’t be serious.
    No one is fucked here, Dude.

  7. #7417
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Yeah, Stefan is being very un-dudelike. But I think we all gotta have a mini meltdown at some point during this whole fiasco.

    Btw, I’ve become a believer in the second amendment. I’m completely sure Croatia would be joining some of the neighbors in full blown totalitarian mode, we’re it not for the fact that a significant chunk of the population had never given up their weapons from the wartime 30 years ago, despite repeated government actions to collect them. And there I was all this time, thinking that you firearm loving bastards were just crazy. I mean, you’re still crazy, but you do have a point on this one.

  8. #7418
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    No, you can't. The battle lines have been clearly drawn. You are either on Team Apocalypse or Team Denial. If you don't choose a side you'll be run over by both.
    What about if you’re on the team that understands the virus, the relative risk, but still chooses not to have my freedoms stripped from me?

    For a while, the IFR for AIDS was literally 100%. It took time. It didn’t kill you immediately, but it was 100%. No condom mandates were made, most likely because of the difficulty in enforcement. Which brings up a point:

    The mask mandate is an easy way to ensuring compliance, and they say, the key to “Stopping the spread.” However, I’ve heard from the beginning that to be protected, your mucus membranes, including the ones in your eyes, need to be shielded/covered, but there are no goggle mandates. Hell, I haven’t heard a thing about goggles for months. Why? Because masks don’t prevent you from catching the virus. They presumably protect you from spreading it.

    In a weird twist of logic, it’s not that they give a fuck about you catching it, it’s that they give a fuck about you spreading it. This is because one “spreader” could presumably infect an entire stadium, restaurant, etc. On an individual level, they don’t give a fuck about the people who caught it. It’s the “One death is a tragedy, but a million is a statistic,” trope and statistics make politicians look bad.

    So, we all have to wear masks so that we don’t spread the virus, NOT so we don’t catch the virus. These are two distinct lines of thought. This is even different than seatbelt mandates in that I don’t wear my seatbelt to protect you.

    This is where the personal freedoms get stepped on: If I have COVID-19 and am walking around the store “super spreading,” and you are wearing a mask, you CLAIM this should protect you. If you’re not wearing a mask, then you understand the relative risk. So what gives? Why the fuck does there have to be a mandate? What about in the case of a 90 year old walking through the store? They should be good if they’re wearing a mask, right? But why no goggles? Because no one actually gives a fuck about the 90 year old. Not you wearing the mask or the asshole ordering it be worn. They just don’t want the 90 year old spreading it.

    So the crux of the matter is that the mask enables you to show your compliance. It’s “being part of the Action Plan.” It’s cheering for the “good guys.” It’s tithing while the priest fucks your kid. It’s turning your guns in. It’s changing the oil at precisely 3000 miles. It’s doing planks. It’s blind adherence to dogmatic bullshit.

  9. #7419
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Thanks for looking up my address, Kit.
    You mean your forum profile? Yea, I try to understand a person's perspective / beliefs by reading their previous posts before responding to them. I still don't understand yours even after reading some of your posts. My bad, I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    It’s been my observation that almost nobody on this board seems to know what an actual sociopath is.
    Without looking it up, lemme try: A sociopath is a person who is incapable of feeling guilt or empathy. They learn to mimic these feelings in order to blend in to society. I could write more about the differences between sociopath and psychopath, but it's beyond the intent of my use of the word here. But IRregardless (that's for you, Rip), you now understand what I mean by the word.

    Going with my definition of the word: would you agree that a person who feels no remorse or empathy when they harm a child is a sociopath? How about a person who is aware of such behavior but does nothing to stop it because he/she feels no empathy for the child?

    If you learn about the above scenario, would you agree to NOT vote for such a person to be our President?

    If, on the other hand, you vote for such a person despite this information, does that mean that you feel no empathy?

    I'm sorry, Mr Mueller, but I'm simply following logic here and this is where it leads me.

    Nomad: you are flawed

    Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    That said, my guess is that we can all probably agree that getting rid of large, organized pedophile rings is A Good Thing, and if doing so is Trump’s ultimate destiny, then I’m in support. I have to plead some ignorance about the Q fantasy, so I have a question: Does he have to be president to accomplish this? Can he do it from Trump Tower or Mar-a-Lago starting in January? Cuz he’s making the rest of us weaker, sicker, poorer, and deader. Please advise.
    I think Trump's destiny is to fulfill the following: Our movement is about replacing a failed and corrupt political establishment

    It's an important video. Clearly, you and I believe in incompatible sets of facts. You believe corporate, globalist media...I don't. So, in the end, we'll just have to see what happens.

  10. #7420
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Village of Afton, Virginia
    Posts
    748

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    If it's of interest to anyone, here's Virginia's numbers. You can select Number of Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths. The “Select Measure” is near the top center of the page.
    Demographics – Coronavirus

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •