starting strength gym
Page 752 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 25265270274275075175275375476280285212521752 ... LastLast
Results 7,511 to 7,520 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    It seems a little odd to me that academic journals would actively try to suppress the results of this study considering what it was designed to actually measure. Maybe they're worried that people will read the results incorrectly and make a leap to "masks don't do anything"?
    You're right, it's very odd. That's kinda the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Rott View Post
    Here we go. They call it "LockDown light" for 30 days... I doubt your "highly temporary". What do they do after re-opening when the "numbers" rise again? How do they leave this vicious circle? They can't. And if they do and let the virus spread, I hope the lawsuits of the businesses they ruined kick their f****** asses to prison. That's where our government belongs to be. And not only ours.
    This is the kind of lockdown in which you are “allowed” to go work jobs that the government deems rightful, but you’re not really allowed to do anything else. Fuck me, Frau Merkel seems to be joining the crazy camp. Let’s see how long this goes on. Mind you, since my guys take all their cues from your guys, I might be joining you in house arrest soon. Look at the bright side, at least we will get our third run of the NLP in one year’s time!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    It seems a little odd to me that academic journals would actively try to suppress the results of this study considering what it was designed to actually measure. Maybe they're worried that people will read the results incorrectly and make a leap to "masks don't do anything"?
    Seriously? Studies that provide results against the "new common sense" should be held back, because some readers might interpret them in the wrong way (meaning: against the "new common sense"?
    Btw, masks don't do anything but causing harm.
    Here you are...
    https://pdmj.org/Mask_Risks_Part1.pdf
    https://pdmj.org/Mask_Risks_Part2.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Governments rarely give up these kinds of powers
    Mueller and your bedfellows (muntz?? Jfsully), are y'all listening?

Most of you all are older than me, anyway, so surely you recall how before 9/11 we could all walk right up to the gates at airports, even without tickets.

Or how there was no massive NSA Patriot Act to monitor us all (while ignoring more efficient, effective ways of profiling and only monitoring CERTAIN Americans.

Or how you could run redlights or speed at 3 AM on deserted suburban roads without worrying about tickets from cameras.

Sorry for re-posting all these examples; I assure you that I am NOT shitposting.

I've just yet to hear quality rebuttals or recent examples of governments relinquishing regulatory or liberty-limiting powers that they acquired unilaterally after scary events, to Keep Us Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    YES. Reminds me of when I tried a state program here in NY that was supposed to help people with "disabilities" find work. I was thinking maybe they'd offer tax credits to potential employers to incentivize hiring people from their program. Instead it ended up just being going to a place to have a lady supervise me applying to jobs. She was absolutely no help. They had multiple offices dedicated to this program, fully staffed. I imagine all these people were probably pulling in at least decent salaries. All of it was to do absolutely nothing useful. One of their "success stories" was "helping" a guy get a job collecting carts at stop & shop.

It also reminds me of when I interned at the IT department of a VA hospital facility. The place had multiple buildings, most of them were just office space. Going out to service their computers, I'm not sure what the hell it was these people even did for a living, it seemed like the height of their job was doing something like designing a flyer. Other than that they just kinda hung out and chatted. Only one large building functioned as the actual hospital.

Key takeaway is, government is the most wasteful spender of money. You'd make a bigger difference giving a random homeless guy 10 bucks than the amount they extract from you in taxes claiming it's for benevolent government programs. I wish this pattern of waste were only limited to that, but it's not. It's everywhere. It's what makes people become libertarians when they see how fucking wasteful the government inevitably is. The only solution seems to be just minimize the ability of government to take people's money and use it.
    EXCELLENT post, Commander!
    And now, what makes your two examples ten times worse is that with the government's RPP, Redundant Programs Principle, you just KNOW there are duplicate programs out there pulling grant money and tax dollars to do the exact same worthless things, even better. It's like the law of interest only instead of dollars multiplying it's efficacy reports, back-patting from fellow bureaucrats at conferences, and useless promotional swag.

I like your key takeaway but my much scarier reflection is to wonder HOW one can become an adult and not draw similar conclusions after:
    getting a job, travelling abroad, paying taxes, having children, meeting actual government largesse (both corporate and welfare) recipients (rather than the ones idealized in American Public Servant folklore, such as those helpless souls Jesus fed fish to), etc.!?

I know the answer is that cliche about young and no heart, old and no brains, but surely there's a deeper explanation?

Rip with everything coming out about the latest officer-involved shooting, I feel you may regret your cop shit statements from a few dozen pages back. You give these people an inch with their anti-cop rhetoric, and soon they've got MENTAL HEALTH EXPERTS accompanying all COMMUNITY SAFETY REPRESENTATIVES on 911 calls!
    The stats just don't seem to back up that there is a cop shit problem in our country, and with the million$ doled out to anti-law-and-order non-profits, you can be sure they would've found such stats by now, were their opinions on police anything but make-believe.

Two observations popped out at me after this latest shooting:

1. Ann Coulter can add these kinds of deaths (Wallace, Jr. in Philly) to the mass shooting deaths that could largely have been avoided had we not insanely (more adult make-believe!) all-but-forbade the ways that family and others can involuntarily commit the mentally ill, back in the, what, 80s?

2. Now we know how the "food deserts" came about! (And the lack of "high-end" shopping, forever lamented in urban suburbs such as those in PG County, where I grew up)
    Can any of you older lifters out there speak to this? Wasn't there in fact widespread looting of businesses during the riots back in the 60s and 70s that preceded these "food deserts"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Most of you all are older than me, anyway, so surely you recall how before 9/11 we could all walk right up to the gates at airports, even without tickets.
    Shit, my first plane ride to see my sister in San Antonio I sat in the airport lounge at a rather precocious 13 and enjoyed my first martini, lol. Nobody carded me. You could smoke on planes back then, too. And people dressed nice for a plane ride. God, I miss the 80's.
    Rip with everything coming out about the latest officer-involved shooting, I feel you may regret your cop shit statements from a few dozen pages back. You give these people an inch with their anti-cop rhetoric, and soon they've got MENTAL HEALTH EXPERTS accompanying all COMMUNITY SAFETY REPRESENTATIVES on 911 calls!
    To me, the answer to why police are an issue is within your post when you mention the government power grabs. Police rarely refuse to enforce those silly ideas that the politicians enact even though they are the ones most in a position to make a difference. Well before the cameras it was police giving the pointless 3am tickets. I want to like police. I watch shows like Bluebloods and think it all looks so reasonable. Good people trying to do good work and often caught in the push/pull of life's complexities. But that's not what the majority of police are about these days. The police are the pry bar that lets the government way too far into our lives. They are the billy club of whatever mob rule politician happens to occupy the office that term. There's a lot of money in private prisons and not a lot in rope or scaffolding or even just letting people be when it comes to victimless crimes. There's a lot of money in those 3am tickets. I'm not saying every cop is about the petty enforcement but enough of them are for it to be an issue. Enough of them keep quiet on the obvious need for more and better training. If anyone hasn't seen him talk about it, Jocko Willink has some excellent thoughts on police training. It's worth a You Tube search, for sure. Your average cop may want to do good, but they aren't going to be able to under current circumstances. At least not if they want to keep their jobs. And there's the rub. You have to be the kind of person to bend over and take that to keep the job. And I don't like those kinds of people. They are bureaucrats with badges.
    2. Now we know how the "food deserts" came about! (And the lack of "high-end" shopping, forever lamented in urban suburbs such as those in PG County, where I grew up)
    Can any of you older lifters out there speak to this? Wasn't there in fact widespread looting of businesses during the riots back in the 60s and 70s that preceded these "food deserts"?
    My state has food deserts. The one that gets a lot of attention is in the delta. But Jackson is slowly becoming one, too, with entire areas with no grocery store. Jackson is the state's capital but we also don't have a movie theater here. If you want to see something on the big screen (prior to These Trying Times, of course) you'd have to go to Madison or Pearl. I grew up in south Jackson (I'm 44) and lived right around the corner from a Sunflower, a Jitney Jungle, a Winn-Dixie (they were separate then) and a Kroger. Not a one of them still stands. The residences are still there but the stores aren't. It's because no one wants to do business in the area. Lots of robberies, lots of shoplifting, high "capital city" taxes but not great services. (Our water runs brown with a heavy rain and our streets suck the life out of even the best front ends.) We didn't have any riots here in what would have been the 80's and 90's when these places packed it in. The riot we're famous for was in '70. It's the same in the delta. One Google of the representative of that district (Benny Thompson) would tell you why. Liberals would call this white flight and blame racism but what I saw was a bunch of decent folks who just wanted to live their lives in peace trying to find a place to do that. I went to an inner city majority black school. The left's best arguments were used on people like me who partook of the liberal arts education the city offered. But you can't hide fact with rhetoric. What I see is that the Democratic black folks that are the majority here (and in the delta) carry a chip on their shoulder and a victim mentality over things that you or I would just accept as the facts of life. The white folks on the left nurture that chip for various reasons. They want people to do it for them. They want the government to make or bribe the stores into staying rather than address the issues. In both areas, you have Democratic leadership that has, over decades, profited from the money that was supposed to be used for upkeep. Jackson has had a Democratic mayor over this whole period of decline. One after another, each one a bit more corrupt than the last. Social program after social program that never really addresses the problems but rather enriches those administrators at the top. Then when white folks bring in businesses and try to rebuild they are called gentrifiers and racists. You can't win. I suspect this is what has occurred elsewhere. The ninth ward in NOLA doesn't have grocery stores but look at the leadership in NOLA. The Landrieus have held power there for quite a while they're all Democrats and the new lady they have now is too. So, in answer to your point, I think both the riots and the lack of stores both come down to piss-poor Democratic leadership. They are both symptoms of the same disease.

And now we come back around to the police problem. Getting all the gang bangers and ne'er do wells off the street takes effort and training and doesn't bring in the kind of money that traffic tickets and tax raises do. It takes political will to prosecute. Additionally, it takes biting the bullet and possibly being seen as racist for the profiling that it would take. After all, it isn't us middle aged white women that are slinging crack out on Valley St. at 2am. And that is a position our Democratic leadership will probably never take. But I'll tell you what position they will take: in '06 Jackson police made multiple arrests at a shop selling vibrators.

Cop shit occurs, all the time. Remember the Mesa AZ execution by cop of the groveling man on his belly in the hotel hallway begging for his life in tears? That piece-of-shit cop walks free today. It should be obvious that not every arrest of a black man is racism, and not every death of a black man in custody is racism. But cop shit explains a portion of it, and cop shit has contributed to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Cop shit occurs, all the time. Remember the Mesa AZ execution by cop of the groveling man on his belly in the hotel hallway begging for his life in tears? That piece-of-shit cop walks free today. It should be obvious that not every arrest of a black man is racism, and not every death of a black man in custody is racism. But cop shit explains a portion of it, and cop shit has contributed to the problem.
    The murder of Ryan Whitaker in Phoenix earlier this year was almost as horrendous. Certainly more horrendous than George Floyd, but nobody heard about it because his death is not useful for politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    This is the kind of lockdown in which you are “allowed” to go work jobs that the government deems rightful, but you’re not really allowed to do anything else. Fuck me, Frau Merkel seems to be joining the crazy camp. Let’s see how long this goes on. Mind you, since my guys take all their cues from your guys, I might be joining you in house arrest soon. Look at the bright side, at least we will get our third run of the NLP in one year’s time!
    Lol. Yes. I had a pretty straightforward run since June, Texas Method was knocking at my door asking for a transition. All gone, all the effort: worth noting. We all put sweat and massive willpower in our training, and our government tells us: we don't care. This hits me really hard, my mental health depends to a large amount on my ability to train with weights. They don't care.
    And that's just me and my effort and my mental and physical health. The people in the hotel, restaurant and bar businesses are completely fucked. They put so much effort in hygiene concepts the government told them to implement. This was expensive, this was hard, but they did it to get their business running, to feed people, to employ people who have to feed their family. There was not one single measured outbreak in hotels, restaurants or bars according to the data, the government told the owners that if they run the hygiene concepts that they could stay open, that their effort is worth something. It was not. All gone. They lied as they always do.
    Merkel says the new situation will last for 30 days. First: I don't believe that, second: many business will not survive. They already are at their financial limits, they did what they could and what they were told, they can't survive 30 ore more days longer with nearly no income. This is criminal, it's against the existing law. We had a "no shelter" policy for hotels, one of our courts said that this is illegal, the policy had to be cancelled, and yesterday they did it it again: Hotels, NO SHELTER. WTF.
    And yet, many many people here advocate the new restrictions, they follow them with passion. Critical thinking doesn't exist anymore, debating became impossible. I'm a tinfoil hat wearing nazi, a childblood drinking Qanon, just because I'm telling the people that this is going too far, that we can't tolerate it, that it's wrong. A rational look at the data and the studies tells you that it's wrong, and they ignore rational thinking. We are fucked by politicians in panicmode.

Police commissioner says officers WILL break up Christmas dinners if families flout lockdown rules | Daily Mail Online

Let's see what you guys do about this. Will you stand up, or roll over? The Aussies rolled. Let's try it in California.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Police commissioner says officers WILL break up Christmas dinners if families flout lockdown rules | Daily Mail Online

Let's see what you guys do about this. Will you stand up, or roll over? The Aussies rolled. Let's try it in California.
    Right now people are banned from buying 'non essential' items like clothes in Wales. I fear we will roll over, although by that point enough people might be sick of this shit.