starting strength gym
Page 753 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 25365370374375175275375475576380385312531753 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,530 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So nobody talking about the freak out over Justin Turner and the Dodgers?

For those unaware, MLB was made aware of an inconclusive test on Turner early on Tuesday. Later on, a positive test came back. So in the 7th inning or so, they told the Dodgers he needed to be pulled from the game and he was. He was "isolating" in the clubhouse. According to MLB's statement, despite being told he could not go out for the celebration he went out anyway and partook. The usual media tut-tutting came in immediately.

What I don't understand is, these guys have been in a bubble for about 3 weeks, so they have been around each other constantly. The guy played in the game. But going back out for the celebration is the bad thing? Doesn't anyone think that is he was going to spread it, the damage would have already been done?

Of course being asymptomatic, he is even more dangerous I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
    Doesn't anyone think that is he was going to spread it, the damage would have already been done?

Here's the problem. I really hope professional sports ceases to exist. The entire institution is composed of preening posturing pompous assholes at every level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Police commissioner says officers WILL break up Christmas dinners if families flout lockdown rules | Daily Mail Online

Let's see what you guys do about this. Will you stand up, or roll over? The Aussies rolled. Let's try it in California.
    I swear I didn't know: California releases crazy mandatory guidance for private gatherings this Holiday season -

Why would you suppose this?

Here's the problem. I really hope professional sports ceases to exist. The entire institution is composed of preening posturing pompous assholes at every level.
    The great Bionic Mosquito on this incident:

bionic mosquito: The True Face of Evil

I see a whole lot of "I don't give a fuck" by a lot of people, particularly the athletes. I see lots of pearl clutching by the media, who is the real enemy. I see a whole lot of "more for me, but not for thee," particularly by the politically-connected ownership.

But, that's been the point this whole time, hasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Why would you suppose this?
    I think he's kidding.

Here's the problem. I really hope professional sports ceases to exist. The entire institution is composed of preening posturing pompous assholes at every level.[/url]
    Based on TV ratings, you're not alone. World series ratings were low, but part of that is that no one really watches the Rays.

So nobody talking about the freak out over Justin Turner and the Dodgers?

For those unaware, MLB was made aware of an inconclusive test on Turner early on Tuesday. Later on, a positive test came back. So in the 7th inning or so, they told the Dodgers he needed to be pulled from the game and he was. He was "isolating" in the clubhouse. According to MLB's statement, despite being told he could not go out for the celebration he went out anyway and partook. The usual media tut-tutting came in immediately.

What I don't understand is, these guys have been in a bubble for about 3 weeks, so they have been around each other constantly. The guy played in the game. But going back out for the celebration is the bad thing? Doesn't anyone think that is he was going to spread it, the damage would have already been done?

Being a big Tampa Bay Rays fan, I'm conflicted....HOW IN THE HELL did MLB let this guy play with an inconclusive test THROUGH THE SEVENTH INNING???? I already hate Justin Turner with the intensity of 1000 blue stars.

So, am I happy that he gave everyone the middle finger and went out to the celebration anyway, or pissed because - BASED ON THE EFFED UP RULES MLB PUT IN PLACE - he was able to play anyway, and may have cost my team a shot at the world series.....

I think MLB has made one more huge mis-step here. BASED ON THEIR RULES (I think the rules are bullshit, but that's not the point here), he shouldn't have been able to play. But he did. Then got pulled. I think those MFers in the MLB Offices saw rating sucking wind, and knew that if the Rays won, it would not be good for baseball. Massive conspiracy theory there, but worse things have been true in pro sports.

PS - Game 4 was one for the ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Rip with everything coming out about the latest officer-involved shooting, I feel you may regret your cop shit statements from a few dozen pages back. You give these people an inch with their anti-cop rhetoric, and soon they've got MENTAL HEALTH EXPERTS accompanying all COMMUNITY SAFETY REPRESENTATIVES on 911 calls!
    The stats just don't seem to back up that there is a cop shit problem in our country, and with the million$ doled out to anti-law-and-order non-profits, you can be sure they would've found such stats by now, were their opinions on police anything but make-believe.

"Cop shit" isn't a matter of stats so much as individual circumstances. Most of it won't show up in stats because most of the time, it doesn't lead to a dead person, it just leads to a very unpleasant police encounter. If you're talking about the thing that happened in Philly, it's plain to see what happened there. Those officers were bending over backwards to give that guy every opportunity to stop coming toward them with a knife. They were constantly backpedaling. The complaint from the person filming about how they shot him too many times was absurd. They shot him until he was on the ground and no longer a threat. They didn't continue blasting him after that.

I think he's kidding.
    Very much so.

The Economist shows their hand clearly in the 11th hr. No surprises here. Quote:

Our cover this week sets out why, if we had a vote, it would go to Joe Biden. The country that elected Donald Trump in 2016 was unhappy and divided. The country he is asking to re-elect him is more unhappy and more divided. After almost four years of his leadership, politics is even angrier than it was and partisanship even less constrained. Daily life is consumed by a pandemic that has caused almost 230,000 reported deaths amid bickering, buck-passing and lies. Much of that is Mr Trump’s doing and his victory on November 3rd would endorse it all. Mr Biden is Mr Trump’s antithesis. He is not a miracle cure for what ails America. But he is a good man who would restore steadiness and civility to the presidency. Were he to be elected, success would not be guaranteed—how could it be? But he would enter the White House promising the most precious gift that democracies can bestow: renewal.

For more on our endorsement and Donald Trump’s record in office please sign up to Checks and Balance, our weekly newsletter on American politics.

I suspect we may see a lot of 4th amendment issues in CA on Thanksgiving as neighbors rat each other out for gathering together.

starting strength coach development program
    Police commissioner says officers WILL break up Christmas dinners if families flout lockdown rules | Daily Mail Online
    Let's see what you guys do about this. Will you stand up, or roll over? The Aussies rolled. Let's try it in California.
    In Chile, they have decided to do nothing. They have decided to give up their constitution as a concession to the foreign-backed leftists. They are well on their way to becoming part of the Venezuelan Empire.
    Doing nothing can be the most dangerous choice.

I would like to see the focus shift to a large number of smaller sports. Physical competition is important. Community events are important. Professional sports that are accessible to the local community promote amateur competition, community-building and engagement.

The sporting world has been victimized by the same globalization, monopolization and consolidation we have seen in virtually all industries from banking to retail to communications, since about 1970. The monopolized institutionalization of sports has led to a passive spectator model that emphasizes the hollywood celebrity status of a select few above individual competition and engagement.