COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 785

starting strength gym
Page 785 of 1049 FirstFirst ... 285685735775783784785786787795835885 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,850 of 10490

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #7841
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    83

    Default

    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I'm going to ask again, how can roughly one half of this country vote for a man who is CLEARY fragile physically and mentally, and a VP candidate who is a communist/Marxist?

    It just makes no sense to me at all.

    I guess they hate trump so much that they will do what they can to vote him out.
    It's because we have a corrupt news media and entertainment industry - always have - that are a bunch of marxists themselves, and in the back pocket of the democrat party. They filter and decide which stories to tell and which to ignore; and most people, especially the elderly blindly trust the lying bastards without question. Even my dad does, after I've spent nearly 40 years complaining about the news media lies (with proof) and the Hollywood perverts.

  2. #7842
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I was at church this morning and the pastor had read that WooFlu cases were going up in our county and our ICU were staring to get flooded with people. He knows someone that works there... he called her and she said they had 4 people.

    Do with that what you will.

  3. #7843
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    I just left a rally of about 1000 people in Lumberton, Texas hosted by Brian Babbin. I can with confidence say that we are not going to roll over. We were chanting CIVIL WAR at one point. There is a lot of passion going on right now.

  4. #7844
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    47

    Default

    As an outside observer I would advise you to read the many histories of the fall of the Roman Republic. Much of the US constitution and the Enlightenment political culture of the Founding Fathers was based upon the Roman Republic. In a similar vein your country now appears to be closing in on that point where strong men are required to hold it together. When Octavian (later titled Augustus) ‘restored’ the Roman Republic after a period of civil strife and war, he of course created the Principate, or the Empire. Cleverly, he pretended to be just a concerned citizen and didn’t openly rule until later in life. The way the US is going, in my view, will see some form of Princeps (literally first citizen) coming to the fore, turning the USA into a republic in name only. In my view Trump is the precursor of this, much as Sulla(my profile namesake) or Marius was a precursor of Caesar, who in turn mentored Octavian. Biden will be weak, Harris a divisive ideologue who, when she takes over from Biden in about a years time, will anger and galvanise the right, leading to more strife. Eventually another strong man will take over and the cycle will continue until America has its Augustus. I’d happily be wrong on all of this, but history really is cyclical.

  5. #7845
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    As an outside observer I would advise you to read the many histories of the fall of the Roman Republic. Much of the US constitution and the Enlightenment political culture of the Founding Fathers was based upon the Roman Republic. In a similar vein your country now appears to be closing in on that point where strong men are required to hold it together. When Octavian (later titled Augustus) ‘restored’ the Roman Republic after a period of civil strife and war, he of course created the Principate, or the Empire. Cleverly, he pretended to be just a concerned citizen and didn’t openly rule until later in life. The way the US is going, in my view, will see some form of Princeps (literally first citizen) coming to the fore, turning the USA into a republic in name only. In my view Trump is the precursor of this, much as Sulla(my profile namesake) or Marius was a precursor of Caesar, who in turn mentored Octavian. Biden will be weak, Harris a divisive ideologue who, when she takes over from Biden in about a years time, will anger and galvanise the right, leading to more strife. Eventually another strong man will take over and the cycle will continue until America has its Augustus. I’d happily be wrong on all of this, but history really is cyclical.
    This is Dave Smith’s assessment, roughly.

    If you thought Trump was Hitler, he wasn’t; not even close. He was, at best, a huge middle finger to the establishment under the guise of a ‘90s NYC Democrat. Just wait, though. The 65-75 million people who voted for him in ‘16 and ‘20 are not going away. They are only going to rally around whoever is the bigger middle finger toward the establishment who are also not going away. And that middle finger isn’t going to be a NYC ‘90s Democrat by a long shot.

    I hope Dave is wrong.

  6. #7846
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    I just left a rally of about 1000 people in Lumberton, Texas hosted by Brian Babbin. I can with confidence say that we are not going to roll over. We were chanting CIVIL WAR at one point. There is a lot of passion going on right now.
    My wife just asked me if we could move out of Colorado. Texas and Florida are high on the list.

  7. #7847
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    As an outside observer I would advise you to read the many histories of the fall of the Roman Republic. Much of the US constitution and the Enlightenment political culture of the Founding Fathers was based upon the Roman Republic. In a similar vein your country now appears to be closing in on that point where strong men are required to hold it together. When Octavian (later titled Augustus) ‘restored’ the Roman Republic after a period of civil strife and war, he of course created the Principate, or the Empire. Cleverly, he pretended to be just a concerned citizen and didn’t openly rule until later in life. The way the US is going, in my view, will see some form of Princeps (literally first citizen) coming to the fore, turning the USA into a republic in name only. In my view Trump is the precursor of this, much as Sulla(my profile namesake) or Marius was a precursor of Caesar, who in turn mentored Octavian. Biden will be weak, Harris a divisive ideologue who, when she takes over from Biden in about a years time, will anger and galvanise the right, leading to more strife. Eventually another strong man will take over and the cycle will continue until America has its Augustus. I’d happily be wrong on all of this, but history really is cyclical.
    I also hope you're wrong but worry that you're right. The irony is that the left may be helping to create the future authoritarian tyrant they've spent the past 4+ years falsely claiming Trump is. That's something that really worries me - it's easy to see the creeping authoritarianism of the left today, but backed into a hopeless corner, a strongman on the right could very well rise up to confront it. The result will be that we're all fucked.

    I still have so much trouble understanding how anyone with 2 brain cells could simultaneously entertain the notion that Trump is an authoritarian dictator, but also that he's one of the only heads of state who didn't use covid to pursue massive unilateral power grabs and allowed federalism to play out and states/governors to manage their own affairs. Then when the most widespread riots in my lifetime broke out, he still held back and didn't seize any more unilateral power. He is also the first authoritarian dictator in history to have nearly the entire press against him for his whole term, for none of them to be jailed or prosecuted, and to either lose an election or to have so little power as to not be able to prevent it from being stolen. A true tyrant indeed! The cognitive dissonance involved to think this is beyond my imagination.

    You don't even have to be a Trump supporter to realize this. Honest lefties like Jimmy Dore and Glenn Greenwald, who both hate Trump, know this too. Naturally they are sidelined and marginalized by the mainstream press for pointing it out. But Greenwald just published a great piece about this very topic here, in which he makes a compelling case that Bush/Cheney were significantly more authoritarian and worse than Trump, and while he writes from a left wing perspective that I don't share, I think he's spot on about this, and if the left was honest instead of blatantly opportunist, they'd agree too.

    But to the main point, I worry you're right and the arrogance and lack of any sense of scale or introspection of the left, will create the actual monster they have spent 4 years pretending Trump is.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-08-2020 at 09:15 PM.

  8. #7848
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    My wife just asked me if we could move out of Colorado. Texas and Florida are high on the list.
    Texas is purple, people are working hard on making this place the new California. But by all means, conservatives continue coming this way. But our cities are fucked.

  9. #7849
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    My wife just asked me if we could move out of Colorado. Texas and Florida are high on the list.
    In 2019 I moved from a brief tenure in FLA back to Seattle, just because of the environment for my work and the opportunities.

    What was I thinking?

  10. #7850
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    311

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I also hope you're wrong but worry that you're right. The irony is that the left may be helping to create the future authoritarian tyrant they've spent the past 4+ years falsely claiming Trump is. That's something that really worries me - it's easy to see the creeping authoritarianism of the left today, but backed into a hopeless corner, a strongman on the right could very well rise up to confront it. The result will be that we're all fucked.

    I still have so much trouble understanding how anyone with 2 brain cells could simultaneously entertain the notion that Trump is an authoritarian dictator, but also that he's one of the only heads of state who didn't use covid to pursue massive unilateral power grabs and allowed federalism to play out and states/governors to manage their own affairs. Then when the most widespread riots in my lifetime broke out, he still held back and didn't seize any more unilateral power. He is also the first authoritarian dictator in history to have nearly the entire press against him for his whole term, for none of them to be jailed or prosecuted, and to either lose an election or to have so little power as to not be able to prevent it from being stolen. A true tyrant indeed! The cognitive dissonance involved to think this is beyond my imagination.

    You don't even have to be a Trump supporter to realize this. Honest lefties like Jimmy Dore and Glenn Greenwald, who both hate Trump, know this too. Naturally they are sidelined and marginalized by the mainstream press for pointing it out.

    But to the main point, I worry you're right and the arrogance and lack of any sense of scale or introspection of the left, will create the actual monster they have spent 4 years pretending Trump is.
    Precisely. If Trump were a dictator, Jack Dorsey and Zuckerberg would be out of work right now, and the entirety of the MSM wouldn't have acted like they were undergoing unanesthetized wisdom tooth removal for the past 4 years.

    I think I've said it before on this thread, but if people thought Trump was a fascist dictator, just wait until people on the right realize that it's going to take an actual fascist dictator to stop the Left from reaching it's end game.

    Whether Trump wins or loses, I think this is where we're headed. Both sides are backing the other into a corner. AOC and her ilk are already calling for lists of Trump's staff and close supporters so they can blacklist them. If it really is a race to dictatorship, it looks like the left already has a leg up on the right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •