COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 822

starting strength gym
Page 822 of 1052 FirstFirst ... 322722772812820821822823824832872922 ... LastLast
Results 8,211 to 8,220 of 10511

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #8211
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    616

    Default

    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I didn't say anything about "peaceful."
    Looks like a plan is underway...

    Perhaps those in the know can shed some light on what this means:
    Civilian special ops leadership to report directly to Miller
    Ezra Cohen-Watnick provides more details: implementing JFK's vision

    It sounds like they've moved Special Ops into its own branch which reports Directly to Ezra Cohen-Watkick.
    Perhaps Cyber will be next.

    We were told 2.5 years ago to keep an eye on Ezra Cohen-Watnick as he was being pushed out of the White House. He's a Flynn loyalist.

    This look like a President on his way out?

  2. #8212
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't care if masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting. I care about the 99.97% of us that will survive this version of the flu. More importantly, I care that kids are being taught to be afraid of personal contact, that grandparents are dying alone and afraid for absolutely no reason, that gyms are closed and people are losing their ability to stay healthy, that bars and restaurants are closing up for good, that the social fabric we have evolved over centuries is now the casualty of politics, that peoples' lives are the distant considerations of media scum and political criminals who enjoy the power that the fear they have manufactured has given them. As long as professionals such as yourself cannot rise above your immediate circumstances and gain some larger perspective, you remain the ally of those who enjoy the control. I'm truly sorry, but this is the truth.
    I do have opinions about the larger issues, Rip, but I generally don't bother airing them here because I don't feel like arguing about politics with people I disagree with or echoing people who I do agree with. It doesn't interest me, and I don't think my agreeing or disagreeing is going to add anything to the conversation. I post here when I think my expertise may be useful and I have something concrete to add. Part of that is reading scientific papers and interpreting medical evidence, as well as having some front line medical experience.

    If you really don't care about the evidence for masks, stop posting about it. In this case, you not only posted a link to a second study, you specifically asked me for my response to the AIM paper. I quoted a relevant excerpt from the paper back to you in response. Seemed pretty reasonable to me. I explained how I arrived at my thoughts on masks, in the absence of evidence, based on my reading of the science and also personal experience. I don't think I was missing the point. I was staying on topic.

    But, now that you mention it, your # for the survival rate is off by an order of magnitude. Survival in the US overall for those infected is about 99.3%. Seems like a small difference but we are applying this number to millions of people. And remember that many who survive do not do so unscathed. It takes a long time to recover from having been ventilated for a couple weeks. The real risk is borne by those over 70, yes. No, it is not "just a flu". It is worse by every measure, both the illness itself (if you are unfortunate enough to get a severe case) and in the numbers it kills and lays out. No, it is not the End Times Plague, and we should not totally sacrifice our social and economic lives and futures to eradicate it. I think we actually agree about that part. We might disagree about what measures should be taken, but perhaps not as much as you might think.

    I have no illusion that I can make up anyone's mind for them, but it bugs me to see people arguing when they have the wrong facts, or claim to have evidence that they don't. Maybe almost as much as it bugs people to have me claim to correct them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    In your professional opinion. What would prevent more untimely deaths, universal mandated mask wearing or mandatory diet and exercise programs?
    Short term, right now, masks help a little. Long term, diet and exercise by a mile. Good luck with mandates though.

  3. #8213
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Right. Nobody died. This is true almost everywhere, because the survival rate of COVID-19 is 99.97%. Yet society has been transformed under the charade of "The Deadly COVID-19 Pandemic." All of this shit falls out of this giant lie. The economic devastation, the suicides, lost businesses, lost relationships, lost relatives are all the result of this lie. You seem like a very good man, but the bigger picture here has apparently eluded you. The Mask is medically pointless in the vast majority of situations, but it is the symbol of the fear that makes society obey. I realize that working in a hospital colors your perspective, but the rest of society has been irrevocably damaged by this lie, and your observation that "masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting" is utterly irrelevant to the greater situation, and completely misses the point that the rest of us are trying to deal with on a daily basis, as we attempt to salvage what is left of normal life.

    I don't care if masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting. I care about the 99.97% of us that will survive this version of the flu. More importantly, I care that kids are being taught to be afraid of personal contact, that grandparents are dying alone and afraid for absolutely no reason, that gyms are closed and people are losing their ability to stay healthy, that bars and restaurants are closing up for good, that the social fabric we have evolved over centuries is now the casualty of politics, that peoples' lives are the distant considerations of media scum and political criminals who enjoy the power that the fear they have manufactured has given them. As long as professionals such as yourself cannot rise above your immediate circumstances and gain some larger perspective, you remain the ally of those who enjoy the control. I'm truly sorry, but this is the truth.
    Mark, why donít you talk like this all of the time instead of indulging in ridiculous conspiracy theory after ridiculous conspiracy theory? This is much more persuasive, and has the benefit of being a defensible position.

  4. #8214
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I didn't say anything about "peaceful."
    Yeah, it's the fact that it won't be peaceful that worries me. I don't know how that would turn out. For all I know a civil war type situation might also be an avenue they have mapped out to play into their hands. The damage done by the conflict could be something they use to help push this shit on us. And where would police and national guard end up putting their loyalties? Maybe this shitty treatment of cops that's led to massive police resignations is part of the plan. Maybe the vacancy will be used to staff police departments with more reliable stooges. And the national guard? I sure saw a lot of distressing images of them kneeling before Black Lives Matter during the riots rather than actually quelling them. Beyond all that, I just really, really don't like the idea of people having to be killed over this. But I can't come up with a better resolution. So many are welcoming the coming dystopia that seems to be speeding our way.

  5. #8215
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I do have opinions about the larger issues, Rip, but I generally don't bother airing them here because I don't feel like arguing about politics with people I disagree with or echoing people who I do agree with. It doesn't interest me, and I don't think my agreeing or disagreeing is going to add anything to the conversation. I post here when I think my expertise may be useful and I have something concrete to add. Part of that is reading scientific papers and interpreting medical evidence, as well as having some front line medical experience.
    And we all appreciate your contributions to this board. Your expertise in these matters is extremely valuable.

    If you really don't care about the evidence for masks, stop posting about it. In this case, you not only posted a link to a second study, you specifically asked me for my response to the AIM paper. I quoted a relevant excerpt from the paper back to you in response. Seemed pretty reasonable to me. I explained how I arrived at my thoughts on masks, in the absence of evidence, based on my reading of the science and also personal experience. I don't think I was missing the point. I was staying on topic.

    But, now that you mention it, your # for the survival rate is off by an order of magnitude. Survival in the US overall for those infected is about 99.3%. Seems like a small difference but we are applying this number to millions of people. And remember that many who survive do not do so unscathed. It takes a long time to recover from having been ventilated for a couple weeks. The real risk is borne by those over 70, yes. No, it is not "just a flu". It is worse by every measure, both the illness itself (if you are unfortunate enough to get a severe case) and in the numbers it kills and lays out. No, it is not the End Times Plague, and we should not totally sacrifice our social and economic lives and futures to eradicate it. I think we actually agree about that part. We might disagree about what measures should be taken, but perhaps not as much as you might think.
    I'm obviously not a statistician, but I'm pretty sure that is not an order of magnitude error -- I have seen the 99.97% figure used. And "scathed" better not be the criterion for the destruction of the economy and our society. If you got ventilated, you were in very bad shape already, in the vicinity of your 0.7%. The numbers I've seen are that over-75 is the at-risk demographic, in a country with a life expectancy of 78.54 -- your 70 is close enough, but not 100% accurate. For most other people, and certainly for those under 50, it really is "just a flu." But, turning the concept of "quarantine" inside out and defying centuries of experience with infectious diseases, we have in fact sacrificed our economy and very important aspects of our society out of fear of that which cannot kill the vast majority of us. Kids wearing masks? People by themselves driving down the road in a mask?? People jogging in the country with a mask on?? Jesus Christ, man! (not you, sully) What have you taught them??? Can they unlearn it? Will we be allowed to continue to watch movies in which the actors are not wearing masks? Sends the wrong message, right? Are spectator sports, Thanksgiving, Christmas, bars, restaurants, buses, airplanes, and fun with our friends now things of the past because someone might get sick? This is much more serious than the 0.7%

    The bigger point is that for a disease with a survival rate of 99.3% which kills almost exclusively the elderly and already very sick, masks in the general public and mask mandates for the general public are foolish, draconian, and pointless to the extent that the virus is obviously not the point of the mandate.

  6. #8216
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    No, it is not the End Times Plague, and we should not totally sacrifice our social and economic lives and futures to eradicate it. I think we actually agree about that part. We might disagree about what measures should be taken, but perhaps not as much as you might think.
    ^This is the problem though.
    I do not know anyone who has died from Covid-19.
    I do not know anyone who has been hospitalized with Covid-19.
    My 97 year old grandmother tested positive, but was asymptomatic.
    I know someone who knows someone who was hospitalized for a week.

    I do know several people however that are suffering because of our response to Covid-19. People with severe anxiety and depression that are TERRIFIED that they are going to die. They say things like, "I don't know how long I can keep doing this." These are young people! 30 -40 years old! Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to talk them off the ledge. what we have done as a society in the name of health is devastating. I understand that you do not want to be seen as downplaying something that is real and serious. But like I have said before, I have yet to see a convincing argument to justify what we are doing. My kids are suffering from the isolation of school cancelations. Businesses are failing. There are health consequences here that cannot be ignored. We have governments now calling for more lockdowns.

    It sounds as if you may not hold the policy beliefs that some perceive that you do. Why do you think that is?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Short term, right now, masks help a little. Long term, diet and exercise by a mile.
    Thank you for your honest opinion.

  7. #8217
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,242

    Default

    Here's an example of what is actually being done in this country. I have no way to post the picture, but we just got an "Emergency Alert" from the State of New Mexico. It reads as follows:

    (yellow triangle with a ! inside) EMERGENCY ALERTS

    Emergency Alert
    NM Covid-19 update: Shelter in place except for
    emergency needs. EXTREME virus risk. Visit
    cv.nmhealth.org for information.

  8. #8218
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here's an example of what is actually being done in this country. I have no way to post the picture, but we just got an "Emergency Alert" from the State of New Mexico. It reads as follows:

    (yellow triangle with a ! inside) EMERGENCY ALERTS

    Emergency Alert
    NM Covid-19 update: Shelter in place except for
    emergency needs. EXTREME virus risk. Visit
    cv.nmhealth.org for information.
    I think the news, yesterday?, said that freezer trailers were being deployed to Amarillo.

  9. #8219
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    998

  10. #8220
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,242

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    For the piles of bodies, right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •