COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 825

starting strength gym
Page 825 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 325725775815823824825826827835875925 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,250 of 11538

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #8241
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    376

    Default

    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar june 2021
    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is hilarious! One strict new COVID lockdown bans outdoor exercising and dog-walking | Fortune



    You guys in Australia have yourselves a serious problem, that has nothing to do with a virus.
    It's "nasty" because many of those infected aren't showing symptoms? Good lord.

  2. #8242
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default COVID19 Events (Masks)

    Since the "Masks While Lifting" thread is closed, I'll post here.

    Even though W.H.O. guidelines advise against masks during "vigorous exercise", our local officials officials require masks at all times in gyms. I went to Amazon and found a bestseller with 50K+ ratings. A rare one-star review said "NOT a Covid mask ... the weave is too large." That sold me, and 50,000 other customers.

  3. #8243
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klh View Post
    Since the "Masks While Lifting" thread is closed, I'll post here.

    Even though W.H.O. guidelines advise against masks during "vigorous exercise", our local officials officials require masks at all times in gyms. I went to Amazon and found a bestseller with 50K+ ratings. A rare one-star review said "NOT a Covid mask ... the weave is too large." That sold me, and 50,000 other customers.
    Proof once again that the “follow the science” rhetoric is complete BS advocated by the corrupt and/or ignorant.

    The “surgical style” masks are very cheap and much more breathable. They are completely void of meeting any medical standards and don’t claim to. Marketing genius. I bought 100 for around $10 with shipping.

    And you always thought placebos only worked when done double blind. Nonsense.

  4. #8244
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Dems and Romney block wrong-think from coming to the Federal Reserve.
    U.S. Senate Vote on Fed Nominee Shelton in Doubt as Grassley Quarantines | Newsmax.com
    Our leftist friends should be able to agree with me that the Federal Reserve must be abolished. The unaccountable manipulation of our monetary system has not benefited the nation.

  5. #8245
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Live: Trump's legal team is holding a press conference about the election - YouTube


    I've only gotten through 40 minutes of the news conference so far, and here are all the instances when you could here a flutter of cameras going off:

    3x when Giuliani was wiping his brow,

    once when he started looking angry and raised his voice, speaking about, as I recall, the dereliction of duty of the journalists in that room,

    and once when he was fumbling to adjust his glasses.

    You can already predict the angle our journalists will play to our unsuspecting public on the presser, if you're paying attention.

    And you can already see who is most deserving of receipt of justice for all the injustices perpetrated upon the American people for at least the past thirty years.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Honestly, I think it’s because things are so polarized right now. From each other’s perspective, it seems like the only two camps are “destructive panic” and “stubborn denial.”

    I’d like to think that most of us are not really entirely in either camp. To say that lockdowns are destructive and come with great costs is NOT the same as saying that covid is a hoax. But lots of people hear it that way. Conversely, saying that masks and distancing probably do slow the spread of a virus is NOT the same as saying we must do everything possible to contain the virus no matter the cost. But people hear it that way. I’d like to be a contrarian and needle both sides equally, but the conversation here is fairly one-sided. So I get lumped in with the other side.

    Honestly, I think this whole problem comes about because we are innately bad at assessing risk. Our brains are not designed to instinctively solve problems like this. Rip’s friend Taleb has made a living off this fact. So we respond to the extreme cartoon version of the risk, which is easier to react to: it’s the Death Plague vs. it’s Really Nothing. Once these two reactions got lined up with the two major political factions in this country, the possibility of having a thoughtful dialog or a strictly science-based (both microbiology and economics) response to it pretty much went out the window.

    I know better than to try to change anyone’s mind. So I’ll stick to doing my part to steer the argument back toward the few facts that we have, when it seems needed. It’s one way I think I can be helpful. Getting on a soapbox to litigate the lockdown or election or whatever isn’t needed at this point. We have enough soapboxes already going around here. Mine isn’t any better.
    Thanks for sharing your interesting, fair, direct analysis.
    All I can beg of you is to review a dozen or so "line in the sand" debates that our country has had over the past decade, and investigate which side of that line the MSM media stood on, and whether that side usually coincided (or not) with sCiEnCe. Then I think you'll understand better the base assumption in many Americans that what our fed'l gov't and MSM propose should be disbelieved until proven otherwise. That's far from conspiracy theory; I'd call it intelligent, objective analysis.


    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    What "connection" are you even talking about? Did you read the NEJM paper? That would make two of us.
    I did not even read the paper either!

    The "connection" is that you insinuated that a study finding masks to be wholly ineffecient is irrelevant to the debate because other measures (distancing, handwashing...) weren't appropriately tested in parallel....

    ....much like your AntiFa militant or average college student stoned at 2 AM in his dorm will insinuate that in spite of history, yes communism actually CAN succeed, if all the other appropriate measures get implemented alongside it (i.e. "it hasn't been tried right yet.")!

  6. #8246
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    If I may deflect from the election discussion for a second and go back to COVID...

    This morning I clicked on the Wifi icon at the top of my screen in order to reconnect. As you know, a list of all local Wifi connections is displayed. One connection listed was:

    (((5G CoVid-19 Field Test)))

    WTF?!?!?
    This is just a prank, man. It used to be popular to change them to “FBI Surveillance Van 16” or “John Doe - Private Investigator” I did the private investigator shtick one time when I lived in an apartment and the guy downstairs was having an affair. I always wanted to know if he ever saw it.

  7. #8247
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I’ll accept that. It’s a dirty job, but it has to be done. But seriously, where would you be without the humble, mindless, white blood cell? You’d be like a young John Travolta, stuck in an antiseptic sanitized plastic bubble. Oh wait...
    That would be aseptic.

    Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    If I may deflect from the election discussion for a second and go back to COVID...

    This morning I clicked on the Wifi icon at the top of my screen in order to reconnect. As you know, a list of all local Wifi connections is displayed. One connection listed was:

    (((5G CoVid-19 Field Test)))

    WTF?!?!?
    That's pretty funny. Around here, Seattle, I see WiFi networks named "BLM, "Defund the police", and "Wear a mask" among others.

  8. #8248
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is hilarious! One strict new COVID lockdown bans outdoor exercising and dog-walking | Fortune



    You guys in Australia have yourselves a serious problem, that has nothing to do with a virus.
    Well, lets say it is a prelude on a small scale of what you folk will be up against if Biden and Kamala get it. Unless of course you lot there in Texas secede from the Union, but I would not waste too much thinking about it. Imagine governor Como on steroids. That is what you will get.

  9. #8249
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Dude, I don't mean to step on your toes, but if you look at the Covid data worldwide, it is extremely clear that masks do not slow the spread of the virus, i.e. you will see huge increases in cases in countries with mandatory mask mandates vs. those without them. Physical distancing does. I mean, this has been the Swedish epidemiologists' attitude from the start - physical distancing is important and masks give wearers a false sense of security, whereby they ignore the distancing rules.
    The recommendation I prefer would be to wear masks when distance is not possible. Your point is part of the reason for this.

  10. #8250
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    252

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Do you think these words constitute an argument?
    For the second time, no, Satch, I don’t. I haven’t even seen anything I would try to formulate an argument against. It’s merely interpersonal feedback.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •