COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 83

starting strength gym
Page 83 of 363 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 3630

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #821
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    41,905

  2. #822
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    The number of new deaths per day in Italy as reported by the WHO has been very flat (i.e. not growing) for 10 days in a row (mean of 756).

    I'm not sure what to make of the US fatality numbers, but they sure as hell don't look like they're growing exponentially when you plot them. The last ten days were: 201, 69, 202, 211, 107, 252, 425, 444, 293, 455. Trending up to be sure, but not exponentially so from what I can see.

    It's also interesting that the number of cases in the Western Pacific, Eastern Mediterranean, Africa, and South East Asia regions still do not appear to be growing exponentially.

    The number of new cases in Europe has fallen three days in a row from a high of 37,646 to 31,141.

    This should all be good news, unless you make your living scaring people with headlines and quotes taken out of context.

  3. #823
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Relatives of COVID-19 patients in Britain are prohibited from visiting them, even if the patient is terminally ill. The thought of families being denied the chance to say goodbye to their dying loved ones because of this grotesque hysteria makes my blood boil. If the population ever realises how utterly unnecessary all of this was, there will be a reckoning of public fury not seen in decades.

    Those of us who have seen beyond the sinister proclamations of governments and the sycophantic media now have a duty to do what we can to make sure our governments do not get away with this. My strong suspicion is that many in government have already realised the scale of the disaster they have inflicted upon us in the absence of any substantial evidence or good sense. But their inner doubts are likely to be quashed by the overwhelming desire to cover up this monumental error by taking credit for the eventual reduction in cases, a reduction which was bound to occur naturally as herd immunity grows and blocks the spread. The only way this situation could get worse is if the government successfully convinces the public that they saved us all, which they will likely do unless enough people are alerted to the arguments of dissenting voices. There is now a window of opportunity for dissent to take hold before the government PR machine saves their hides. Do not remain silent. Share your criticisms with others. Make as many people as you can aware of the glaring holes in the justifications for mass house arrest and the destruction of our economies. Those less courageous than you will be cowed into gullible acceptance unless they hear their own inchoate doubts expressed forcefully by those around them.

    Thankfully we have a growing body of evidence on our side. Point to the many experts, medical, epidemeological, and legal, challenging the official line. Point to countries like Sweden, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and those in Latin America who have not taken draconian measures yet are doing just as well as we are in the face of the virus. The media have failed us by not reporting these things, so we must do it ourselves instead.

  4. #824
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    What I can’t resolve is that with all of the rhetoric about increasing minimum wage, minimum living wage, etc, that they would so quickly and severely reduced these same peoples wages to zero.

    Are they that stupid? Did they brain fart this? Oops? Can anyone explain this?
    Or perhaps this presents a strong argument for a living wage, paid sick leave, and universal health care. Someone outside of this pandemic with a regular full time job barely living paycheck to paycheck gets sick or injured, can't go to work, has no savings to cover medical expenses, has to choose between paying his rent/mortgage vs. medications. How familiar of a story is this in our everyday society? Why no outrage then? Seems like our current level of outrage regarding this only matters when it is convenient for our world views.

    One other question I do have. It seems like a lot of people are still comparing this to the flu and are ok with a certain number of people dying from/with this virus. I can understand that viewpoint, bt what I would like to know is where do we draw the line. At what level of lethality would it take to change opinions and believe the shelter in place guidelines were worth it? 2X that of the flue? 5X, 10X? Where is the line drawn?

    Are these asymptomatic carriers capable of spreading it to others, and is it possible these others may wind up in the ICU? If so, this isn't exactly comforting. Personally I would prefer carriers to have some symptoms. It is much easier to contain that way.

  5. #825
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    RS WY
    Posts
    855

    Default

    There is a death in New York City every 9.1 minutes.

    Planning-Population-NYC Population Facts - DCP

    That equates to 158.2417582417582 deaths every 24 hours.

    Contrasted with this:

    13 Deaths in a Day: An Apocalyptic Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital

    13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital - The New York Times

    Sensationalist?

  6. #826
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    41,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Or perhaps this presents a strong argument for a living wage, paid sick leave, and universal health care. Someone outside of this pandemic with a regular full time job barely living paycheck to paycheck gets sick or injured, can't go to work, has no savings to cover medical expenses, has to choose between paying his rent/mortgage vs. medications. How familiar of a story is this in our everyday society? Why no outrage then? Seems like our current level of outrage regarding this only matters when it is convenient for our world views.

    One other question I do have. It seems like a lot of people are still comparing this to the flu and are ok with a certain number of people dying from/with this virus. I can understand that viewpoint, bt what I would like to know is where do we draw the line. At what level of lethality would it take to change opinions and believe the shelter in place guidelines were worth it? 2X that of the flue? 5X, 10X? Where is the line drawn?



    Are these asymptomatic carriers capable of spreading it to others, and is it possible these others may wind up in the ICU? If so, this isn't exactly comforting. Personally I would prefer carriers to have some symptoms. It is much easier to contain that way.
    These two posts demonstrate the fact that you're not particularly intelligent. You're about to get free money -- a lot of people are -- and your little leftist dream will be played out on a very large scale. There will be long-term consequences to the economy, and you will ignore them. Likewise, your failure to appreciate the fact that if COVID-19 is asymptomatic in half the infections, that makes it very motherfucking different than SARS, MERS, and Ebola, and this insane overreaction that is destroying the economy of the world is either the single biggest piece of monumental stupidity or the most bald-faced power grab in the history of humanity. Your "healthcare" career is safe, as are the careers of all the world's bureaucrats. Lots of people are making lots of money, and lots of people are losing lots of money. Your plea for free shit makes me physically ill. Go the fuck away.

  7. #827
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Or perhaps this presents a strong argument for a living wage, paid sick leave, and universal health care. Someone outside of this pandemic with a regular full time job barely living paycheck to paycheck gets sick or injured, can't go to work, has no savings to cover medical expenses, has to choose between paying his rent/mortgage vs. medications. How familiar of a story is this in our everyday society? Why no outrage then? Seems like our current level of outrage regarding this only matters when it is convenient for our world views.
    Wrong wrong wrong. There are a million books, articles, etc on this. Here's one.

    Robot Check


    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    One other question I do have. It seems like a lot of people are still comparing this to the flu and are ok with a certain number of people dying from/with this virus. I can understand that viewpoint, bt what I would like to know is where do we draw the line. At what level of lethality would it take to change opinions and believe the shelter in place guidelines were worth it? 2X that of the flue? 5X, 10X? Where is the line drawn?
    This question has been addressed several times. If this thing were actually as big a threat as the hysterical people say it is, the governors wouldn't need to put the entire country under de facto house arrest. People would be taking these precautions on their own. It's not, which is why people are pushing back and not following these ridiculous guidelines.

    Try trusting the man in the street to take care of himself for once. People know what's best for themselves, not the politicians and talking heads on the news/entertainment channels.

  8. #828
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These two posts demonstrate the fact that you're not particularly intelligent. You're about to get free money -- a lot of people are -- and your little leftist dream will be played out on a very large scale. There will be long-term consequences to the economy, and you will ignore them. Likewise, your failure to appreciate the fact that if COVID-19 is asymptomatic in half the infections, that makes it very motherfucking different than SARS, MERS, and Ebola, and this insane overreaction that is destroying the economy of the world is either the single biggest piece of monumental stupidity or the most bald-faced power grab in the history of humanity.
    1) So how many deaths are acceptable? I can appreciate the argument that an illness will cause some deaths. But what is the acceptable level?

    2) Are you trying to imply that even if half of the cases are asymptomatic that this is less of concern compared to those other illnesses? Given how unintelligent I am could you provide some numbers regarding rates of infection. In a population of 100 people, if 50% are symptomatic that would mean 50 people are symptomatic. If 100% of people in a population of 25 people with another disease are symptomatic you would have only 25 people infected? Given how smart you are, don't you think you are missing some essential components to your argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    “There is a death in New York City every 9.1 minutes.”

    Planning-Population-NYC Population Facts - DCP

    That equates to 158.2417582417582 deaths every 24 hours.

    Contrasted with this:

    “13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital”

    13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital - The New York Times

    Sensationalist?
    So you are comparing the deaths from Covid at a SINGLE hospital in NYC to every single death that occurs inside of the city per day? You are aware that yesterday alone there were 300 covid related deaths in NYC alone right? I'm certain the numbers are even higher today.

  9. #829
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    RS WY
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Finally some reason in the local politics:

    The damage to the economy, the state, and society may be worse than the disease, all while people get the disease anyway, he wrote. We must prepare to live with this disease while maximizing economic activity.

    State lawmaker argues need to re-open economy amid coronavirus pandemic | Wyoming News | trib.com

  10. #830
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    32

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramus View Post
    This may have been posted before; an interview with Dr John Ioannidis of Stanford University.
    YouTube
    Good interview.

    What I've discovered is:

    Influenza/pneumonia is an "associated cause" of death in numbers about three times that which it is deemed the "underlying cause" of death. If I have my math right then it appears then that flu/pneu could be a factor then in over 100,000 deaths per year in the US. It is a leading associated cause.

    Influenza/pneumonia are grouped together in death records as if they are one. But many fatal pneumonia cases are not tested for the virus cause. As such it is probable that many pneumonia deaths are due to existing coronaviruses already floating around. So the question is whether this particular coronavirus is any worse than what is already out there? How much worse?
    Without data we don't know.

    Data??. I just got rejected here in AUS at the local free covid drive through screening. After nearly 4 days of 39-40 degree fever and a rare case of nasty tonsillitis, I wasn't deemed likely to have covid-19 so no point wasting a test kit on me. I was literally beading sweatballs as the lady talked to me but nevermind. The response was that I could revisit another GP to order a traditional lab testing if I was worried - at expense to me of course.

    The retarded part in all of this is that I was the only fucking car there!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •