starting strength gym
Page 9 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 789101119591095091009 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    In the 3/11 WHO SITREP, there were 10,149 confirmed cases of COVID19 in Italy (a country of approximately 60M people). I don't know anything about the Italian healthcare system, but those numbers would seem to suggest that their hospitals have the capacity to handle about 10,000 people total, and they were already at capacity when the outbreak started (assuming every COVID19 diagnosis is hospitalized).

Is that an oversimplification? Is only part of the hospital system at 200% capacity? Are only some hospitals at 200% capacity? Is my math wrong? A quick Google search suggests that there are slightly over 1,000 hospitals in Italy. Surely each hospital can handle more than 10 patients.
    not gonna look it up, but I admit I was vague. The hospitals I was referring to were in the northern (most economically advanced) part of the country. And yes. Its QUITE bad.

To be clear. This may end up being a panic about nothing. It is likely to be. BUT the risks are clear and obvious.

In the 3/11 WHO SITREP, there were 10,149 confirmed cases of COVID19 in Italy (a country of approximately 60M people). I don't know anything about the Italian healthcare system, but those numbers would seem to suggest that their hospitals have the capacity to handle about 10,000 people total, and they were already at capacity when the outbreak started (assuming every COVID19 diagnosis is hospitalized).

Is that an oversimplification? Is only part of the hospital system at 200% capacity? Are only some hospitals at 200% capacity? Is my math wrong? A quick Google search suggests that there are slightly over 1,000 hospitals in Italy. Surely each hospital can handle more than 10 patients.
    Subscribe to read | Financial Times

that number is 3x what is was the friday before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I remember it better than you do. He said some incredibly stupid things. He's been more measured this time, but I see parallels between the events.
    I’m sure you remember better than I do, as I was a kid at the time and watched the news even less than I do now (which is not much at all). I would bet, however, a beverage of your choice that if you dug up the Fauci quotes they would be a lot less hysterical than you remember. The typical course is for nerdy medical folks to say something technically correct, but overly complex and subtle, that then gets taken out of context, simplified to lose all nuance, and overly hyped in some way by the press, but still attributed back to the original “source.” This happens even moreso now with the demands of the 24-hr news cycle and social media, but has pretty much always been the case, especially with “medical journalism.”

Does doing squats help fight corona?

I find it ridiculous that NBA games are cancelled, but at least that thug Kawhi now has over a month for "load managing" his lazy ass.

Quote Originally Posted by shoq View Post
    Does doing squats help fight corona?
    This is actually a good question.
    It will be funny if the correlate people who exercise don't have overwhelming or negative outcomes.

It won't be funny when they start closing public gyms.
    One would think, on the surface, that a public gym would be an ideal situation for transmission of the virus.
    But then again, most of those people are much healthier than the general public.

thug Kawhi
    lol wut ?

now has over a month for "load managing" his lazy ass.
    He's apparently brittle, and knows it, and is dealing with it accordingly.
    I don't hold it against him.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    That seems to be behind a paywall. Here's where I'm getting my data: Situation reports

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    that number is 3x what is was the friday before.
    3858 last Friday, 10,149 yesterday, 12,462 today

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The biggest financial beneficiary of a panic is anyone who owns large amounts of US treasuries and has been looking to lower their position. It will be interesting to see if China uses this as an opportunity to dump a portion of their treasuries.
    *** Never Waste a Crisis ***

We don't know, and may never know. But we know what to watch for.

3858 last Friday, 10,149 yesterday, 12,462 today
    Do you know how many Chinese people are employed in northern Italy? How many have traveled there from China recently? Serious question, maybe David Masini can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you know how many Chinese people are employed in northern Italy? How many have traveled there from China recently? Serious question, maybe David Masini can answer.
    Absolutely no idea. Why do you ask, out of curiosity?

starting strength coach development program
    I think it's a factor in their situation. The travel.