starting strength gym
Page 935 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 435835885925933934935936937945985103514351935 ... LastLast
Results 9,341 to 9,350 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I have three nurses in my family. From three nursing generations. I love them, but they are ALL entirely unqualified to make such determinations. They are front liners, but they have absolutely no capacity or understanding for what is actually occuring even in the broader administration. They know Jack and shit about the last 30 years of data and medical science with regard to aerosolized respiratory viruses, viral pneumonia or follow on bacterial pneumonia. They are cave people when it comes to understanding social and economic impacts. They fall for the same bullshit and propaganda on media as everyone else.
    This is a super important point that so many people cannot seem to grasp. (That applies to a lot of professions.

People have so many unjustified assumptions about what nurses and doctors know and do. Sadly, many of the nurses and doctors like the undue respect and feed it.

Most of what they do is simply follow a very narrow group of diagnosis and treatment protocols. And many of them don't really understand much about either of those things really.

Help me understand your position on this part:

yada yada yada

I honestly don't know what you're saying.
    How are we with respect to this?

We're fine, I suppose. We have essentially no flu this year, and since that is an epidemiological impossibility, I think it needs an explanation. Absent something better, my assumption is that it is being misdiagnosed as COVID, because that's more useful to lockdown people until they figure out a way to convince us that any bug that might make us sick is a good reason to stay home, not work, not socialize, not have fun, cash the government checks, and above all OBEY THE RULES.

An excellent way to segue to The Great Reset: Readings On the Great Reset - Contemplations on the Tree of Woe

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    This is a super important point that so many people cannot seem to grasp. (That applies to a lot of professions.)
    Just this year I had reached a point in my life where I came to deeply realize this. I've been in a few professions now that require significant knowledge and intelligence... allegedly. It was terrifying for a while realizing that maybe the fourth root of people with a minimum of 10+ years of experience knew what they were talking about. This year has scraped bare my illusions with regard to this phenomenon. Socrates was right: we know nothing. And we killed him again back in March. I think it's why I'm so attracted to the SS model, this community... it's just objective reasoning applied iteratively to a physical problem, and it doesn't discount theory OR observation. It just is, and it is refined by experience that is validated by gravity. There's a refreshing and obvious honesty to that.

I think the subconscious assumptions I've made in my own analysis reflect what many here and elsewhere sense (those who have paid attention, objectively). I get the sinking feeling reality is going to reassert itself soon, much the same as gravity, and the rest of the world outside of the fourth root are woefully unprepared for the maelstrom. Maybe this time it's bigger than all of us.

God, I hope I'm wrong. Truly.

It would seem then, the only remaining possibility is this is a series of complex, algorithmically generated, computer-based scenarios, who’s only purpose are to create irreconcilable controversy, and like the virus itself, were probably inadvertently released from an experimental laboratory.

Sort By Controversial | Slate Star Codex

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    , though i doubt moving forward the impacts will be much more significant than the flu ie next year and beyond, regardless of a vaccine.

as has been said before, you can think the government response is totally fucked and still realize there is a virus spreading and causing more impact than an average, or even above average, flu season.

i tested positive, was pretty sick for the better part of a week. i know plenty of people who’ve been sick, some that haven’t, some that ended up in the hospital, and even a couple that have died.

get over the false dichotomy of Team Apocalypse vs. Team Denial.
    Has it escaped your thinking that team Denial has ScIeNcE on its side, in that your conclusion of "doubt that the impacts will be much more significant" in future seasons is exactly what viruses do as they run through populations? (kill off the weaker/more susceptible genetic specimens until those with natural, stronger immunity remain)

I guess what I'm saying is, the two teams haven't been defined clearly -- what are the deniers denying?

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    This is a super important point that so many people cannot seem to grasp. (That applies to a lot of professions.

People have so many unjustified assumptions about what nurses and doctors know and do. Sadly, many of the nurses and doctors like the undue respect and feed it.

Most of what they do is simply follow a very narrow group of diagnosis and treatment protocols. And many of them don't really understand much about either of those things really.
    This is so true it makes me happy inside. Not a lot of people understand this, even when shown the vast amounts of evidence. Honestly, this could some-up almost all professions, disciplines, and careers. Outside of strength, SS and more specifically Rip, started me on the road to seeing these cracks. I was just a young dumb kid who took everyone's advice who was in power as legitimate. I do not want to kiss ass this morning (4:30am), but I can honestly say SS changed my life. I was mad at first, like being lied to your whole life. Like if Santa was actually supposed to be real. I have become much more optimistic since "seeing the light." Although, I still really get upset when a person in power sells bullshit with a fake smile... the Ted Haggards of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Just this year I had reached a point in my life where I came to deeply realize this. I've been in a few professions now that require significant knowledge and intelligence... allegedly. It was terrifying for a while realizing that maybe the fourth root of people with a minimum of 10+ years of experience knew what they were talking about. This year has scraped bare my illusions with regard to this phenomenon. Socrates was right: we know nothing. And we killed him again back in March. I think it's why I'm so attracted to the SS model, this community... it's just objective reasoning applied iteratively to a physical problem, and it doesn't discount theory OR observation. It just is, and it is refined by experience that is validated by gravity. There's a refreshing and obvious honesty to that.

I think the subconscious assumptions I've made in my own analysis reflect what many here and elsewhere sense (those who have paid attention, objectively). I get the sinking feeling reality is going to reassert itself soon, much the same as gravity, and the rest of the world outside of the fourth root are woefully unprepared for the maelstrom. Maybe this time it's bigger than all of us.

God, I hope I'm wrong. Truly.
    It is pretty unsettling to see one's epistemological lens needing so much adjustment when we find that so many people we were told we could trust are utterly unqualified to speak on things we expected them to know (mostly because THEY told us so) and even worse that they are often full of shit. Add that in to the idea that we have a whole section of the population that demands the denial of reality. Lying eyes be damned.

It never seemed to pick up much steam, but the term "Post Truth Era" was being thrown around for a bit to point to this. I think it works.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    just a simple rebuttal to the sentiment “it’s just the flu.” in fact, the impacts right now are more than the flu, though i doubt moving forward the impacts will be much more significant than the flu ie next year and beyond, regardless of a vaccine.

as has been said before, you can think the government response is totally fucked and still realize there is a virus spreading and causing more impact than an average, or even above average, flu season.

i tested positive, was pretty sick for the better part of a week. i know plenty of people who’ve been sick, some that haven’t, some that ended up in the hospital, and even a couple that have died.

get over the false dichotomy of Team Apocalypse vs. Team Denial.

the good news, if you look at the actual data and the actual impact to actual people, is it seems to be running its course, trending downward. but of course don’t count on the mainstream media to tell you that.

Charts | The COVID Tracking Project
    Listen, when this whole thing broke out, I hadn’t followed the news in years, did not want to start following it, so I let myself get scared. Not for myself, but scared into obeying. But scared nonetheless, so who cares why. However, I soon grew out of it. The trick was admitting to myself I had acted as a scared little bitch. Once I did that, I regained my pride and shit. You’re still not ready to admit your own scared-little-bitchiness to yourself, so you’re making up stupid stories about team this and team that and shit. Just listen to the tiny sense of manhood in the back of your brain, as you have been thinking and behaving like a little bitch for so long, you might end up as a permanent COVID victim.