starting strength gym
Page 949 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 449849899939947948949950951959999104914491949 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,490 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    Actually, you continue to misrepresent the question. Let's phrase it another way. How many of your hypothetical children would you find acceptable to die before you would wear a mask? .
    You can ask anything. I don’t mind at all. I think we are better off asking one question (or so) at a time however.

My answer. I don’t know.

My question back. In your scenario does me wearing a mask prevent my children from dying?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    You can ask anything. I don’t mind at all. I think we are better off asking one question (or so) at a time however.

My answer. I don’t know.

My question back. In your scenario does me wearing a mask prevent my children from dying?
    Please allow me spoon feed you back to the original post where the question was being asked. Please keep in mind that I was not the one who proposed the initial question, so this is not "my" scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK
    If the current (silly) government measures taken to tackle Covid-19 saved the life of the one person you loved most (eg. Mom, nephew, Steph, a past University lecturer) who happened to be in one of the most vulnerable demographics at maximum risk of Covid-19 death eg. auto-immune disorder, would you be willing to allow these measures to stay in place regardless of the consequences to everybody else - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the subjects in the study who had HR of about 110 while walking would consider that moderate exertion, and they did rate it about 10/20 on an RPE scale, so I considered that they felt like they were doing some effort. I doubt this group is at 110 while resting. If that’s the case, this is a pretty unrepresentative sample and we shouldn’t look at their HR.

Anyone who confuses statistical significance with clinical significance is, well, confused.
    An elevation of 30 BPM (from 80 to 110) is expected in daily, non-exercise activity - such as walking. An additional population-wide tax of 10 BPM is definitely clinically significant.

To quantify this, look to seasonal fluctuation of mortality. It is not solely due to fast viral replication in moderate temperature - there are independent pathways which may be even more significant. In particular, the sympathetic nervous system is chronically stressed by the burden of thermal regulation - and perhaps seasonal changes in diet, activity, sunlight exposure, etc. The additional stress displays in SNS-related indices, particularly blood pressure, as well as the easier-to-measure heart rate:

These mean curves coincide with mortality at North American latitudes - and indeed have much less range than your supposedly insignificant 10 BPM.

To be clear, I don't think mask mandates are dangerous in this regard -- simply because, in practice, masks get pulled before the slightest provocation to heart rate. Also clear: you aren't familiar with thresholds of harm in the context of public health.

My bet is that the stances presented by others change the moment they are personally affected.
    I agree. The reason people with highly limited statistical chances of dying from Covid are pushing for all the restrictions, masks, lockdowns, is that they are themselves afraid of being in the struck-by-lightning percentile that drop dead. For some reason, it's mostly dudes aged 30-50.

Can you answer me this, why do you care about theses cancer diagnoses? Aren't a lot of these people likely to die anyway therefore treating their cancer pointless? If you were to remain consistent in your viewpoints that statement would need to be correct. You can believe what you want, just be consistent with your logic and stop crying your crocodile tears.

Please allow me spoon feed you back to the original post where the question was being asked. Please keep in mind that I was not the one who proposed the initial question, so this is not "my" scenario.
    Ok

Actually, you continue to misrepresent the question. Let's phrase it another way. How many of your hypothetical children would you find acceptable to die before you would wear a mask? The position of others on this board would be that children die all the time so there is no need to take simple precautions. In the end it is all just math and your children are just statistics, right? Is this your view? My bet is that the stances presented by others change the moment they are personally affected.
    Since the disease we are talking about is not a threat to children, I certainly hope my 5 year old son has been exposed to COVID-19. I am pretty sure he has but I'm not certain so I simply hope. You see, humans must be exposed to pathogens. From the time we come out of our mother we are exposed to pathogens constantly. It's a necessary part of developing the immune system required to live and flourish on this planet.

I do not feel anything toward anyone that exposed me to the pathogens I've been exposed to. There is no logical reason to feel anything. There was no negligence.

However, If people infected with a disease that is potentially deadly to the elderly and those with weakened immune systems were ordered to go to adult care facilities to recuperate, that's another matter. Adult care facilities are often populated with the elderly and others at high risk. If something ridiculous like an authoritarian were to order infected people to go ride out their disease in those locations, that'd be of concern. If that were to happen I would suggest that authoritarian has possibly committed negligent homicide.

Can you answer me this, why do you care about theses cancer diagnoses? Aren't a lot of these people likely to die anyway therefore treating their cancer pointless? If you were to remain consistent in your viewpoints that statement would need to be correct. You can believe what you want, just be consistent with your logic and stop crying your crocodile tears.
    There are risks associated with being alive that end in death. Relative to to cancer, heart disease, and essentially everything else, COVID-19 is trivial, and it would already have been gone had the Karens of the world remained fixated on Lifetime and flavored coffee, as they should have. The fact that I see further than the end of my coffee table does not mean that I don't know about death, you silly girl.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaWhicker View Post
    If something ridiculous like an authoritarian were to order infected people to go ride out their disease in those locations, that'd be of concern. If that were to happen I would suggest that authoritarian has possibly committed negligent homicide.
    Just plain old homicide. He needs to die for justice to be served.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post

My answer. I don’t know.

If it’s only your children, then most everyone else need not wear a mask. Just about you. That’s the way it used to be done.