COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 950

starting strength gym
Page 950 of 1141 FirstFirst ... 45085090094094894995095195296010001050 ... LastLast
Results 9,491 to 9,500 of 11402

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #9491
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    297

    Default

    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar june 2021
    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    LeeAnne believes in masks, not God.
    She has firmly stated her 0.00 tolerance for death of children. What is her tolerance for eternal damnation of said children? Surely there are low-cost preventative measures?

  2. #9492
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I agree. The reason people with highly limited statistical chances of dying from Covid are pushing for all the restrictions, masks, lockdowns, is that they are themselves afraid of being in the struck-by-lightning percentile that drop dead. For some reason, it's mostly dudes aged 30-50.
    If you are attempting to refer to me, please let me what I have told many others in my personal life. I am not as concerned if I, myself get COVID. Chances are I will likely survive. However, I am employed as a Physician Assistant and work in in-patient Cardiology. My greater concern is that I don't spread it to others around me who might not be as lucky. However, I have seen otherwise healthy 30-somethings come back into the hospital who have had strokes and pulmonary embolisms after they were treated for COVID due to the thromboembolic nature of the disease. This seems unpleasant and I would prefer not to get it to begin with, but my greater concern is for those around me.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanaWhicker View Post
    Since the disease we are talking about is not a threat to children, I certainly hope my 5 year old son has been exposed to COVID-19. I am pretty sure he has but I'm not certain so I simply hope. You see, humans must be exposed to pathogens. From the time we come out of our mother we are exposed to pathogens constantly. It's a necessary part of developing the immune system required to live and flourish on this planet.

    I do not feel anything toward anyone that exposed me to the pathogens I've been exposed to. There is no logical reason to feel anything. There was no negligence.

    However, If people infected with a disease that is potentially deadly to the elderly and those with weakened immune systems were ordered to go to adult care facilities to recuperate, that's another matter. Adult care facilities are often populated with the elderly and others at high risk. If something ridiculous like an authoritarian were to order infected people to go ride out their disease in those locations, that'd be of concern. If that were to happen I would suggest that authoritarian has possibly committed negligent homicide.
    Please go back to the original question that I reposted regarding the scenario. Once again, it was not "my" scenario. Although I later did mention children specifically later on the original question revolved around any family member or close friend's death that could have been avoided had precautions been followed. The second half of your response tends to focus on anonymous people at adult care facilities. The point of the question was to make it so you are more personally affected. That is why I brought up hypothetical children. However, given your response to the adult care facilities I am under the impression that if your mom or dad was at such a facility you would have picked them up immediately and cared for them at home. You are a damn saint i'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There are risks associated with being alive that end in death. Relative to to cancer, heart disease, and essentially everything else, COVID-19 is trivial, and it would already have been gone had the Karens of the world remained fixated on Lifetime and flavored coffee, as they should have. The fact that I see further than the end of my coffee table does not mean that I don't know about death, you silly girl.
    Using your twisted view of stats all causes of death are trivial. As of this month COVID has beat out heart disease as the leading cause of death in the country. Keep in mind that the article below was from the beginning of December and things are getting worse.

    COVID Passes Heart Disease as Top U.S. Killer

    Once again, please be consistent with your logic.

  3. #9493
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    So your response to a situation that you caused someone else's death unnecessarily because you refused to to take part in minimal preventative measures and took unnecessary risks would be that it's ok because "people die every day". I highly doubt that if your mother, father, sibling, wife, child, close friend, etc. contracted a disease from you that could have been prevented by taking minimal preventative measures (e.g. wearing a mask) that you would have this point of view. I'm not saying your point of view is invalid or incorrect, but let's extend this towards other areas of life. Let's say you are driving in your car with your family/friend in the passenger seat and caused an accident, you survived but your family or friend died or was seriously hurt. Would you state, that sucks but people die in car accidents every day? What if someone else caused the accident while driving another car, would you have the same nonchalant attitude? Bringing things back to COVID, there was a wedding in Maine that ended up turning into a super spreader event and was linked to 7 deaths. I guess if that was an event you were holding your response would be "c'est la vie", at least they didn't have to wear a mask. At least Robin (whose post I was previously referencing) was on some level able to question and seemed self-aware of his own hypocrisy.
    I'd be willing to bet, BIG MONEY, that you have been the cause of someone's death. You have given someone a cold, flu, stomach virus, etc...someone got it and didn't make it. You sneezed, coughed, touched something with an infected hand, and it spread to someone who was immunocompromised. Same with me.

    Are you going to stop everything now? Will you become a shut in to prevent this from happening again? Or does the fact that it isn't called covid not a big deal to you?

    The cold my niece got several years ago that killed her... Maybe I gave it to her. I hope I did not. (she was severely immuno-compromised).

    The cause of infection that killed my mom 2 years ago... Maybe it was from me. But I wouldn't trade the last 3 weeks we had with my mom for anything.

  4. #9494
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    2,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    and if I did cause someone's death through my carelessness that could easily have been avoided I would have normal human emotions of remorse and regret. But cool, you are free of such feelings and constraints, so good for you.
    What a cunt.

    I'm not sure which you suck at worse: risk evaluation, reading comprehension, or mind reading.

    The irony of course, is that in "perceiving" folks here as bad people and hypocrites, you've only exposed yourself as both.

    Well done.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    Let's say you are driving in your car with your family/friend in the passenger seat and caused an accident, you survived but your family or friend died or was seriously hurt. Would you state, that sucks but people die in car accidents every day? What if someone else caused the accident while driving another car, would you have the same nonchalant attitude?
    You have no idea what anyone's attitude is about people dying of Covid or car accidents based upon comments here. "That sucks but people die [insert almost anything here] every day." is simply stating the the facts. Assuming some nonchalant attitude towards those facts by stating them as such is just your own self righteousness talking.

    Get over yourself.

    And what about the "nonchalant attitude" of the people who catch it? Staying 6+' away from anyone not wearing a mask doesn't seem terribly difficult to do....I mean if I actually thought doing otherwise might kill me.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    Actually, you continue to misrepresent the question. Let's phrase it another way. How many of your hypothetical children would you find acceptable to die before you would wear a mask? The position of others on this board would be that children die all the time so there is no need to take simple precautions. In the end it is all just math and your children are just statistics, right? Is this your view? My bet is that the stances presented by others change the moment they are personally affected.
    People like you almost make me wish for a deadly pandemic that targeted self righteous 105s.

    There's no reason to accept that not wearing a mask has killed anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    Please allow me spoon feed you back to the original post where the question was being asked. Please keep in mind that I was not the one who proposed the initial question, so this is not "my" scenario.
    "If the current (silly) government measures taken to tackle Covid-19 saved the life of the one person you loved most (eg. Mom, nephew, Steph, a past University lecturer) who happened to be in one of the most vulnerable demographics at maximum risk of Covid-19 death eg. auto-immune disorder, would you be willing to allow these measures to stay in place regardless of the consequences to everybody else - yes or no?"
    -Robin UK

    Maybe assuming a 105 IQ is probably too much?

    You can't grasp that that question has two groups of people dying and only one group being saved?

    It isn't a question of would you save someone's life. It is a question of which group of people do you save and which do you let die.

    I would hate to be in the position of making such choices, but all other things being equal, grandma dies and the young healthy people dying because of the shutdowns get to live. The vast majority of people dying of Covid related anything have either lived a very long life already or have not taken care of the one that they have been given.

  5. #9495
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    778

    Default

    This is all that comes from arguing with people who FEEL correct. They FEEL they are being reasonable. They FEEL as if their "sacrifices" and your sacrifices are worthwhile, and since they FEEL intellectually superior because the Correct People on TV agree with them... they'll decide for you.

    The ratio of these people who will be willing to change their minds by thinking and debate is only dwarfed by the general populace at risk of dying with the SARS-COV-2 virus. They might even be more rare than those who die from it.

    But suit yourselves.

  6. #9496
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    If the current (silly) government measures taken to tackle Covid-19 saved the life of the one person you loved most (eg. Mom, nephew, Steph, a past University lecturer) who happened to be in one of the most vulnerable demographics at maximum risk of Covid-19 death eg. auto-immune disorder, would you be willing to allow these measures to stay in place regardless of the consequences to everybody else - yes or no?
    First of all, you haven't shown that the "current government measures" will save any lives. It could be argued that they will destroy more lives than they save. You have no data on this. So, you either are trying to incite people on this board or you are very immature in your thoughts. It's a totally unrealistic scenario. This kind of theory questioning based on false unproven premises are pointless. Perhaps your intention is to just start a fight? And if so, why do you do this behind the safety of your keyboard? There are many lessons you can learn by doing this in-person, lessons of which I see you desperately need.

    If you really want to delve into the psychology of "hypocrisy", why don't you ask yourself this question: if you could save the lives of your children by not having them, would you remove your uterus? If you do, we'll throw it in the trash next to your brain.

    This guy's IRS story during the Obama years is quite interesting. I didn't read the actual case, so I don't know how slanted this story is, but it seems plausible.

    It seems like running a campaign based on addressing government corruption, reducing government power, etc could be a good platform to run on. Victims of abusive government are getting elected...

    Georgia gun store owner elected to Congress takes aim at IRS, firearm laws | Fox News

  7. #9497
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    Using your twisted view of stats all causes of death are trivial. As of this month COVID has beat out heart disease as the leading cause of death in the country. Keep in mind that the article below was from the beginning of December and things are getting worse.

    COVID Passes Heart Disease as Top U.S. Killer
    You would not know a bullshit statistic from an anvil. How many times do I have to post evidence that the death coding generates bullshit statistics before you begin thinking about things and stop feeling about them? But I think your "Front line health care worker" schtick gets you out of logical inquiry every day.

  8. #9498
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by od1 View Post
    First of all, you haven't shown that the "current government measures" will save any lives. It could be argued that they will destroy more lives than they save.
    So you demand proof for the side you disagree with, yet are perfectly accepting of speculation when it comes to supporting your views. This seems to sum of the arguments on this board quite nicely. This is why your arguments (not just you, but a lot of posters) are contradictory and hypocritical. But please do carry on. I am apparently merely a female with an IQ of 105, which I am not really sure how either of those things are insults.

  9. #9499
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJenkins View Post
    However, I am employed as a Physician Assistant and work in in-patient Cardiology.
    I wasn't referring to you, it was a kind of general observation. Since you have mentioned your line of work, I gotta ask, have you offered any tourist visits of Covid wards to innocent bystanders?

  10. #9500
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

    But I think your "Front line health care worker" schtick gets you out of logical inquiry every day.
    I used to be a debate competition judge. My specialty was extemporaneous arguments. My God some of these kids were impressive! Rightly so, they were looking at college applications. Some of my peer judges scored based on classical answers but I always fought for out of the box reasoning.

    In any case, our front line health worker friend doesnít understand the fundamentals of rhetoric. Thatís ok, not everyone does. Itís all mildly amusing to me at its worst but I would be happy to help teach too.

    Is this a good reason to bring back E&P? ( I did lose $50 betting that Calvin wasnít a lawyer if that carries any weight)

    Quote Originally Posted by od1 View Post

    If you really want to delve into the psychology of "hypocrisy", why don't you ask yourself this question: if you could save the lives of your children by not having them, would you remove your uterus? If you do, we'll throw it in the trash next to your brain.
    Well done!

    This is the argument of infinite regress I was (badly) alluding to. Why not take it back all the way to the Big Bang? Because some idiot will ask what came before the Big Bang and who took such cavalier risk of getting creation started.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •