starting strength gym
Page 993 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 49389394398399199299399499510031043109314931993 ... LastLast
Results 9,921 to 9,930 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    didn't see video , just read accounts of it including from eyewitness ( a Trump nutswinger like you)

Capitol Police 'didn't have a choice' in shooting pro-Trump rioter, lawmaker says
    You, who didn't watch the video, believe the media report and a Republican who say that it was absolutely impossible to not shoot an unarmed 35-year-old woman in a group of other people not doing anything to the building or anybody else. Got it.

Come on, man. Because the police reports said they announced, you believe that, right....
    You're believing a "trump nutswinger" over people who actually saw the video (videos, to be accurate, there are more than one recording of this incident out there). It's perfectly fine to be skeptical of a police report, especially when police culpability is on the line. But you should be WAY more skeptical of any political pundit pushing an agenda, no matter what "side" they're on.

Twitter did not censor this video. I don't think I want to make a comment on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Read this carefully:
    I'll help you with it just this once:

- What you replied to was also a reply.
    - In order to understand it properly you have to know what it was a reply to.
    - Fortunately, both are readily available right here on you very own forums.

Gerald Boggs: ".......And frankly, interaction with a store clerk is not something I'll miss....."
    Me: "I get it. You just want to buy and sell stuff without dealing with actual humans. Lots of people feel this way. This is not a good thing."
    You: "We have sold 750K books, probably more. Are you suggesting that we should have had to shake hands and take money from 750K individuals? "

Not that being one is a bad thing, but I've never accused you of being a store clerk. I have accused you of being obtuse on occasion, but definitely not a store clerk.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    You're believing a "trump nutswinger" over people who actually saw the video (videos, to be accurate, there are more than one recording of this incident out there). It's perfectly fine to be skeptical of a police report, especially when police culpability is on the line. But you should be WAY more skeptical of any political pundit pushing an agenda, no matter what "side" they're on.
    It wasn't a pundit - it was a Republican congressman that witnessed it. Every one of you ( and me) would have no problem shooting some poor bastard coming through your window but somehow this nutty young lady is murdered in cold blood...

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I'll help you with it just this once:

- What you replied to was also a reply.
    - In order to understand it properly you have to know what it was a reply to.
    - Fortunately, both are readily available right here on you very own forums.

Gerald Boggs: ".......And frankly, interaction with a store clerk is not something I'll miss....."
    Me: "I get it. You just want to buy and sell stuff without dealing with actual humans. Lots of people feel this way. This is not a good thing."
    You: "We have sold 750K books, probably more. Are you suggesting that we should have had to shake hands and take money from 750K individuals? "

Not that being one is a bad thing, but I've never accused you of being a store clerk. I have accused you of being obtuse on occasion, but definitely not a store clerk.
    Fine, George.

It wasn't a pundit - it was a Republican congressman that witnessed it. Every one of you ( and me) would have no problem shooting some poor bastard coming through your window but somehow this nutty young lady is murdered in cold blood...
    She wasn't coming through the goddamn window. What is wrong with you? WATCH THE VIDEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    No, you don't get it. I make more money this way and that is more important than the larger long term social ramifications.
    No. I totally get that you make more money and are happier.

But as I said initially: that isn't the metric of whether Amazon and Walmart are good for us overall or long term. This seems to not only be something you don't get, but don't even care enough to consider.

And I'm not even saying that you should do anything differently or that doing any particular thing would make much difference. I suspect much larger scale things need to happen than a individuals deciding to "boycott" such methods of exchange.

Maybe the best that can be done is to drive it until the wheels fall off?

But none of that is requires pretending that the long term social effects have not been bad and are likely getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    No, when you take in account the effect the catalog sales had on the small craftsman, the adverse effect of catalog sales was far greater. From blacksmiths to cobblers, the catalogs put them out of business and with the loss of those businesses, so to did the small towns begin to die. Let me list a few: The cobbler went from making shoes to repairing the ones you bought from Sears. Instead of making you a suit, the tailor fitted the suit you bought from Wards. The cabinet maker has mostly vanished, not able to compete with the prices of Sears..
    There is some truth to that, and I said as much, but the scale of damage from the catalogs was nothing compared to the sales of the brick and mortar stores who put out the catalogs then and their internet sales now.

You don't think cobblers are doing better now than when the Sears catalog started, do you?

There were no congressmen I could see in that video. You can't even see the guy who shot her. But my statement stands even more firmly. I'd trust a congressman even LESS than a pundit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You, who didn't watch the video, believe the media report and a Republican who say that it was absolutely impossible to not shoot an unarmed 35-year-old woman in a group of other people not doing anything to the building or anybody else. Got it.
    watched the video. Although tragic for her family, my mind hasn't changed. I am sure if I came through the Rippetoe window (unarmed), you would not hesitate to deliver the same treatment to me. Yeah, I do give a lot of weight to someone who was actually there (but don't agree with him re "impossible" tho) .

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday's events in DC left me appalled.

I completely understand, share, and support the deep anger and frustration of the Trump marchers. I think Jenni has largely nailed the use of leftist agent provocateurs in fomenting the storming of Congress. Once a crowd begins to surge in any direction, it's hard for many in that crowd to resist the pull and follow along. So basically, IMO, the marchers played into the hands of dems and their media marketing arm in both print and broadcast. It "delegitimizes" Trump and his supporters. No matter what the facts were yesterday, the new narrative is insurrection by the unwashed rednecks. The buffalo guy is the best evidence of leftists infiltrating the march. Of course it won't be scrutinized by the media and they will claim that buffalo guy "has always been a Trump supporter" despite lots of evidence to the contrary. Not unlike the way the media continues to ignore the voting BS that went on.