Article: Muscle Imbalances and Injuries Article: Muscle Imbalances and Injuries

starting strength gym

Thread: Article: Muscle Imbalances and Injuries

Default Article: Muscle Imbalances and Injuries

• starting strength seminar june 2021
    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    • starting strength seminar october 2021

I irritated my hand several weeks ago. I kept using it because there wasnít much choice and now itís mostly better except my ring finger wonít straighten out under its own power. Iíve been putting that fist against the palm of my other hand and straightening the fingers out using that hand as resistance. Itís helped but progress has been slow. Is there any better exercise youíd recommend?

I feel a little dumb making this my first post but honestly your article was timely for me.

This is called "Trigger Finger" and I have no experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is called "Trigger Finger" and I have no experience with it.
    Sounds like trigger finger for sure but could be Dupuytrens Contracture.

I had Dup in my mid 20s and fixed surgically. Itís almost always pinky or ring but itís also almost always for old men. So much for ďtypicalĒ...

This video is surprisingly useful and should get the OP on the map.

Trigger finger versus Dupuytren's contracture: WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by KeithI View Post
    I irritated my hand several weeks ago. I kept using it because there wasn’t much choice and now it’s mostly better except my ring finger won’t straighten out under its own power. I’ve been putting that fist against the palm of my other hand and straightening the fingers out using that hand as resistance. It’s helped but progress has been slow. Is there any better exercise you’d recommend?

I feel a little dumb making this my first post but honestly your article was timely for me.
    I've had trigger finger and while it was annoying and only a little uncomfortable, it didn't seem to affect my grip too adversely. That said, once my general practitioner diagnosed it I got the surgery. The procedure was painless under moderate anesthesia and it left no discernable scar on my upper palm. The surgeon recommended a 3-4 week recovery. Which I only adhered to when heavy pulls were involved. Now, the finger works just fine.