starting strength gym

Thread: Missed muscles in lower body

Default Missed muscles in lower body

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

Background: I have a pulled Adductor Longus which triggers sharp pain when it is used. Despite this I have been able to squat, row, power-clean, and deadlift with no issues. This leads me to believe that the Adductor Longus isn't worked at all by these movements, and has me wondering if there are actually many muscles in my lower body that the program doesn't work at all.

Ask: Is there some kind of movement (or collection of movements) I can be doing to fill these gaps? I'm a sprinter and it's important for my sport that there are no weak-points as this can cause injury. I'm very concerned about my adductors and my hip flexors.

Thanks Rip!

Let's examine this issue. What does the adductor longus do? Origin/insertion/action?

This is a damn short trail that "leads you to believe" something. To say nothing of it starting to "wondering." Perhaps apply a few razors next time so you don't get lost in the underbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookfine View Post
    I have a pulled Adductor Longus which triggers sharp pain when it is used. Despite this I have been able to squat, row, power-clean, and deadlift with no issues.

Ask: Is there some kind of movement (or collection of movements) I can be doing to fill these gaps?
    Counterquestion: you say it hurts when used - so, what movements hurt? (Curious that squats don't, makes me question your assessment that it is the adductor)
    If your diagnosis - pulled muscle - is correct, those are the movements you should do.

I had a torn adductor a couple of times, and squatting hurt like hell, but it was the movement I successfully used for my rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Let's examine this issue. What does the adductor longus do? Origin/insertion/action?
    Well, I know:
    Origin: Front side of the bottom center of the pelvis
    Insertion: Back of your femur
    Action: Thigh flexion, adduction, and external rotation; and all of these seemingly only when the thigh is already close to the sagittal plane (based on moving stuff about and seeing what hurts/when)

I know the adductors as a whole are going to be activated a little bit as stabilizers in many exercises but based on the range it activates in (foot basically in line with sagittal plane) it's not even being activated on deadlift. I worry I'm exposing myself to a bunch of imbalances that will become noticeable only on the track.

Why would the track not "balance" them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would the track not "balance" them out?
    I would anticipate it does to an extent, I just wouldn't be able to say what extent. As a 6'3" sprinter though, I would anticipate that if there is any relevant strength development that can be done I should prioritize it, it's the only way that I can avoid getting completely smoked by a bunch of 140lb 21 year olds.

starting strength coach development program
    How much do you weigh? Your concerns about your adductor longus aside, how do you propose to get to a muscular sprinter's bodyweight without squatting?