starting strength gym
Page 6 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 4567816561065061006 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Italy has an older population. The median age is about 10 yrs older than the US for example. Many of the deaths to cornonavirus are among people in their 80s and 90s. Their death rate, at this point, seems to hover around 5%. In the US, the death toll is approximately half due to a nursing home in Washington state.

The assertion that their hospitals are at 200% capacity may or may not be true. If it is, how many of those people are young and otherwise healthy and scared to death by media hysteria? I would surmise it to be a significant number. That’s kinda my point here.

Exactly. Thousands rushing to the hospital with a cold couldn't possibly have anything to do with the media causing hysterical worry over a virus that is mostly only killing elderly or people with respiratory health problems.

I sense two themes here:

1. Coronavirus epidemic is really, really, really bad, and people who are not freaking out are just not appreciating how bad things are. The government and media will cover this up to lull you into a false sense of security. You should be panicking, because this may be the next Spanish Flu.

2. The government has lied to us so many times in the past, and is so incompetent, that we should not listen to their fearmongering, nor that of the MSM, who are even worse than the government. This is probably a ploy to influence the elections and we are patsies.

OK, maybe I exaggerate a little bit, but you get the point. These two points of view are kind of mutually exclusive, yet many people seem to hold both beliefs very firmly. There are enough grains of truth in both for them to be pretty compelling.

Rather than argue about the government or mask supply chains, please tell us what we should do. You have listened to the podcasts, read the blogs, scoured the instagram stories, and kept Fox/CNN/MSNBC on in the corner for weeks now. You know more about this thing than the bozos at CDC. What should I be doing every day for the next month to protect myself and my family, and why? How will it help? If you can't answer those questions your opinion has the value of a fart in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I sense two themes here:

1. Coronavirus epidemic is really, really, really bad, and people who are not freaking out are just not appreciating how bad things are. The government and media will cover this up to lull you into a false sense of security. You should be panicking, because this may be the next Spanish Flu.

2. The government has lied to us so many times in the past, and is so incompetent, that we should not listen to their fearmongering, nor that of the MSM, who are even worse than the government. This is probably a ploy to influence the elections and we are patsies.

OK, maybe I exaggerate a little bit, but you get the point. These two points of view are kind of mutually exclusive, yet many people seem to hold both beliefs very firmly. There are enough grains of truth in both for them to be pretty compelling.

Rather than argue about the government or mask supply chains, please tell us what we should do. You have listened to the podcasts, read the blogs, scoured the instagram stories, and kept Fox/CNN/MSNBC on in the corner for weeks now. You know more about this thing than the bozos at CDC. What should I be doing every day for the next month to protect myself and my family, and why? How will it help? If you can't answer those questions your opinion has the value of a fart in the wind.
    As an individual, a good handle on your health status should be already be in place. Not sure what someone would do any differently than they would normally do to mitigate risk of getting influenza or any other sickness.

Also, follow your Dr’s orders...right?

Nothing to do really, at this point it's all just hindsight when you talk about containment measures. They're testing people positive now and unsure where the transmission came from. It's just out there now, we just have to hope some of the horror stories of its ill effects are exaggerated.

TEN PRETTY GOOD RULES

- Observe the bottom 3%... strongly consider not doing what they do.
    - Wash your hands, keep Kleenex handy in case you need to touch your face
    - Use a paper towel when handling a gas pump (10 people per hour, 30% peak infection rate, virus probably lives 4 hours, so 16 chances to win)
    - Start drinking a half cup of bone broth ever morning until infected... then go a full cup x3 per day
    - Drop your stress level and sleep better, you'll set a good example
    - For now, no one needs to shake your hand or be within 6' of you
    - Good time to work on a solo project, read a book or self learn a new skill
    - Cook... if you don't know how to make bone broth, the internet knows
    - Laugh as much as possible, between the bottom 3% and politicians... there is plenty to laugh at... and it boosts your immune system
    - Keep lifting, you may want to back off slightly on intensity PR's can wait until we're out of the woods.

The Strong Shall Survive

I believe the prudent thing to do would be to encourage people without risk factors or advanced age to socialize and live their lives as normal.

People with risk factors should use common sense, if they have any, and practice social distancing, in addition to more extreme precautions.

If everyone participates in social distancing and quarantines, the effect will be a very prolonged, slow, progressive spread of the virus. Is everyone going to quarantine and isolate for 2-3+ years? (individuals who actually obey the orders, anyway)

It would likely be much less risky for the small, vulnerable population if the virus spread through the general population quickly, causing the vast majority of the population built up an immunity to it. The virus would then largely die out and again become relatively rare; Vulnerable populations would no longer be at high risk of contracting the virus.

Most conservative estimate based on some hopeful patterns one can read in current numbers has 300k dying from this if it simply runs its course unimpeded in the U.S. (Unlike the flu there is no vaccine to impede it, so it’s going to take coordinated intelligent social behavior.) That doesn’t begin to tell the horror story if this happens too much all at once. The U.S. looks like it’s somewhere between Germany (on the disease is just getting started and we’re on top of it end of the spectrum) and Italy (on the probably there since January and still way undercounted end of the spectrum). What you can and should be doing as an individual is well described at: FlattenTheCurve | COVID19 Update & Guidance to Limit Spread . Also, you should demand that your institutions show brilliance in making up for lost time, so they can make policy on real data. Godspeed.

300k deaths in the US?! please clarify this statement

starting strength coach development program
    It takes a lot for a story on the internet about medical issues to scare me. Joe Rogan's podcast today did the trick:

YouTube

I'd never heard of this guy Michael Osterholm PhD, MPH (Master Public Health) before but I looked him up. He's VERY well-credentialed. He comes across as very knowledgeable, logical, and extremely articulate. He's also NOT an alarmist but...he alarmed the hell out of me.