starting strength gym
Page 24 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634741245241024 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I wonder what public perception will be like after the celebrities who tested positive like Tom Hanks and Idris Elba go through its full course. It's already sounding like Hanks hasn't really been too bothered by it.
    I've been so worried about these guys.

The public certainly will be. And if/when they bounce right back no problem, fear of this virus is likely to take a big drop.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I would like to ask this guy: why were new ICU wards needed in Wuhan then, and why are Italian ICU wards being overwhelmed?

IPB
    I keep checking this thread hoping to find an answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Although successful surveillance systems have long existed for influenza, the disease is confirmed by a laboratory in a tiny minority of cases. In the U.S., for example, so far this season 1,073,976 specimens have been tested and 222,552 (20.7%) have tested positive for influenza. In the same period, the estimated number of influenza-like illnesses is between 36,000,000 and 51,000,000, with an estimated 22,000 to 55,000 flu deaths.
    In an autopsy series that tested for respiratory viruses in specimens from 57 elderly persons who died during the 2016 to 2017 influenza season, influenza viruses were detected in 18% of the specimens, while any kind of respiratory virus was found in 47%. In some people who die from viral respiratory pathogens, more than one virus is found upon autopsy and bacteria are often superimposed. A positive test for coronavirus does not mean necessarily that this virus is always primarily responsible for a patient’s demise.
    Surely this is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barry View Post
    I hate to be simplistic, but perhaps conditions in China and Italy are different than those in Missouri, where there are 16 confirmed cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

I hate to be simplistic, but perhaps conditions in China and Italy are different than those in Missouri, where there are 16 confirmed cases.
    For sure, but are the conditions in China and Italy different this year vs previous years? Is there a better explanation than this virus being significantly more dangerous than a typical strain of flu?

Both China and Italy also had 16 cases at one point.

Yes it is. Apparently, old people die.

For sure, but are the conditions in China and Italy different this year vs previous years? Is there a better explanation than this virus being significantly more dangerous than a typical strain of flu?
    Culturally, economically, and politically, China and Italy are different than Missouri every year. And we don't know that this virus is more dangerous than a typical strain of flu, because the data is shit. Really, break down and read the paper: In the coronavirus pandemic, we're making decisions without reliable data

Quote Originally Posted by lazygun37 View Post
    Both China and Italy also had 16 cases at one point.
    How do you know that? How do you KNOW that this virus wasn't there in 2017? And how do you KNOW that this virus was the only factor in the deaths attributed to it?

This has a lot to do with socialized medicine, and protecting hospitals. That's why there is a shortage in time of crisis.

starting strength coach development program
    Listening today NPR. One of the guest speakers responded to a question about Italy. In summery: Oldest population in the world, high rate of smokers, until recently no sense of social distancing, poor medical system.