starting strength gym
Page 43 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553931435431043 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is your entire argument. Get your eyes up off your desk and see the bigger picture.
    In order to make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs, after all... Stalin would be proud!

This is why I love you, man. You are the most communist anti-communist I've ever met. You embody and embrace contradiction in the most sublime manner.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanNewell View Post
    Rip, I've learned loads from your work, but you're making a mistake by quoting this Aaron Ginn piece. It is scientific garbage. It's the epidemiological equivalent of what functional training is to Starting Strength - half-understood, superficially plausible and ultimately worthless junk. It's hardly worth debunking it's so bad but just two points: it's wrong to think most epidemics follow a bell-curve of cases, and it's unlikely this thing will just go away in the summer.
    I guess that's why they pulled it down rather than just refuting it. So, we're all going to die. I already admitted you won. What do you want, a blowjob?

OK so we know you are a teacher and a researcher. Are you paid with taxpayer money? Any income effects from COVID-19? Mark and I are small business owners. My revenue, and to some extent his, are being seriously hurt by this government overreach. We both have rent and employees and overhead to pay. Once that goes, and I close my small business, then I have food and utilities and my wife and son and my life savings. At some point IDGAF about ICU overflow and ventilators and virus curves and the elderly dying of a weirdo bat virus. That point is approaching rapidly.

Even Taleb's enemies, such as Sam Harris and S Pinker, do not think he's an imbecile. That puts you in a very small group of people.

If you disagree with my point and you are a statistician, tell us what you think is happening with the mortality rate and stop insulting people.

If you have projections about the number of deaths in the US, put your dick out on the table. You seem more interested in arguing and giving stats lectures than stating your case.

Any number of countries, not just S Korea, are doing fine without shutting down public businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by lazygun37 View Post
    How about this: as soon as I see this plan -- and assuming it makes any sense at all -- I will publicly support your call to return to business as usual. Because, believe it or not, I also don't like the situation we're in.
    What do you do for a living that you can get away with this kind of crazy nonsense?

The plan is for the government to let individuals get back to work and make their own decisions about their own health and well-being. People are going to do what's in their own best interest anyway, and it's better for everyone in society if the government just gets out of the way. Otherwise things will not be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I guess that's why they pulled it down rather than just refuting it. So, we're all going to die. I already admitted you won. What do you want, a blowjob?
    And a donut:
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Just asking. If the US comes through this about the same as or better off then all of the other industrialized nations of the world, what does this say about the argument for single payer health care?

I’m on the fence for single payer, but I always found the argument that all nations do it, to be weak.
    Read up on guys like Hayek and Friedman. The reason Italy et al are in their position is because of their nationalized healthcare industry. The US's free market system is hampered by Medicare/Medicaid/the VA, but it's going to handle this better than any other health care system in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    Here's a good short discussion of the risks between Nassim Taleb and Yaneer Bar-Yam

YouTube

As he illustrates plainly, when in Bear country, if you're uncertain about a distant object, better to treat it like a bear than the more likely possibility that it's a stone. Risk mitigation is less costly earlier than later, think a slight course correction vs frantic running. I'd be surprised if anyone here disagrees with that.
    I don't know anything about Nassim Taleb and Yaneer Bar-Yam, but as a person who has spend a good amount of time living/hiking in bear country, the bear analogy is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I don't know anything about Nassim Taleb and Yaneer Bar-Yam, but as a person who has spend a good amount of time living/hiking in bear country, the bear analogy is stupid.
    No doubt it's possible to come with a more apt analogy. Are you disagreeing with the principle the analogy conveys?

Perhaps a new direction for discourse. India had identified CoVid19 Cases in February yet currently has 376 per JHU.

How India is dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak — Quartz India

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Perhaps a new direction for discourse. India had identified CoVid19 Cases in February yet currently has 376 per JHU.

How India is dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak — Quartz India
    The Johns Hopkins website says 376 cases in India, 7 dead. There are 1.3 billion people in India. If you assume that the case number is low by a factor of 10000, the infection rate is still 0.289%. And how many people starve if they don't have any food because Lazygun wants the economy shut down so we don't all die of COVID19? Starving people care about this.

It is in the 90s in Mumbai all week, lows in the 80s. It may be useful to remember that the southern half of the US will be there very soon. If there are millions of dead people in China and India, I am worried about the disease. If not, I am worried about the government.