starting strength gym
Page 44 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654941445441044 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/statu...44786366889984

>> I’m calling on the Federal Government to nationalize the medical supply chain. The Federal Government should immediately use the Defense Production Act to order companies to make gowns, masks and gloves. ***Currently, states are competing against other states for supplies.***

(emphasis mine)

Why is Mr. Cuomo so worked up? This is perfect Free Market behaviour; competition and price rises make sure resources are allocated to those who need them most (if they can afford it, of course).

Still, I've got a suspicion you guys are doing it wrong; here on this side of the pond, medical supplies are simply stolen in transit.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Read up on guys like Hayek and Friedman. The reason Italy et al are in their position is because of their nationalized healthcare industry. The US's free market system is hampered by Medicare/Medicaid/the VA, but it's going to handle this better than any other health care system in the world.

That's quite a logical leap you're making there about Italy's healthcare system. China has socialized medicine and they've more or less got the outbreak under control, even according to international observers. Italy now has more deaths than China from the virus and Germany has exponentially lower deaths per capita from Covid than any other country in the world yet all three countries have very similar socialized healthcare systems. Consider the following from an article in Forbes:

"Which brings us to the primary and most striking difference between the German patient population and that of the rest of the world: The mortality rate. Of the 18,610 cases to date, just 46 Germans have died. The most enviable German Covid-19 mortality rate stands at 0.29%, or about 30 times less than that of Italy. That’s a big difference. (Updated: 3/22, 10:45 a.m. Central European Time)"

There are various reasons for this discrepancy in mortality rates between Germany and Italy and not one of them has to do with the fact that both countries have socialized medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_V View Post
    No doubt it's possible to come with a more apt analogy. Are you disagreeing with the principle the analogy conveys?
    Neither agree or disagree. Just leave the poor bears out of it, they've been maligned enough. Although, if one is to use an analogy that is unfit, might one wonder about all else that has been said :-) Yes, that's a weak attempt at humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    That's quite a logical leap you're making there about Italy's healthcare system. China has socialized medicine and they've more or less got the outbreak under control, even according to international observers. Italy now has more deaths than China from the virus and Germany has exponentially lower deaths per capita from Covid than any other country in the world yet all three countries have very similar socialized healthcare systems.
    You believe the Chinese statement that they have no new cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At this point, I 'd doubt a Chinese statement that their country is called China.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's an interesting question. At first blush I'd say, no, I don't. But the trend since February has been a steadily declining number of community transmissions in Wuhan, and this is a fact that has been corroborated by international organizations like the WHO and MSF (American doctors from the CDC are also apparently there and have been given access to the data) who I have no reason not to believe (unlike the Chinese government), so its certainly within the realm of possibility that they didn't identify any new cases.

Also keep in mind that China is still a somewhat totalitarian state, which means they have much greater direct control over the population. When the CCP orders everyone to stay home, nobody fucking leaves the house. Newsome can only dream of wielding this kind of power.

That, coupled with the fact that even Pence is lauding Chinese transparency with this outbreak, gives me little reason to doubt that those claims are likely true.

It occurs to me that people are going to get sick when re entering society. I spent a year at the South Pole and 100% of us got sick when they opened the station after 9 months of isolation. Immune systems atrophy.

Is this being considered? The most vulnerable, of course, are the elderly with pre existing conditions. Anyone know how this works and what the time frames are for immune systems to hibernate?

Word on the street is that Tampa is getting ready to lock us down. 😭

They're doing it for you own good. To keep you safe. Since you are not capable of this yourself. Trust them. You don't really need to work, after all. There is nothing more important than safety.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    It occurs to me that people are going to get sick when re entering society. I spent a year at the South Pole and 100% of us got sick when they opened the station after 9 months of isolation. Immune systems atrophy.

Is this being considered? The most vulnerable, of course, are the elderly with pre existing conditions. Anyone know how this works and what the time frames are for immune systems to hibernate?
    That's a really interesting question, and I'm curious to learn more.

And even if it's true that immune system atrophying is a necessary cost, it's an important thing to consider so that measures can be taken to mitigate its harm.