starting strength gym
Page 53 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    im over it. the damage done by shutting everything down is far worse than had we let the virus run its natural course. people will disagree with me, and i admit im not an expert in this field, but common sense tells me that societies over reaction to this is a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    It's clear that many posters here do not deem the global reaction to COVID-19 commensurate with the threat it poses.

The following question is meant as a genuine attempt at a meeting of minds.

Is there any viral scenario (a different virus with different properties) that would warrant enforced and strict social distancing measures (assuming the limited resources we have, and I'm including here resources like public awareness, education, testing capabilities)?

Or is [freedom to associate] moral bedrock/sacred?
    I get what you are asking, what kind of sCaReY ViRuS would it take for people to obey the government's edicts, etc. ?

...but now, you have to think about outbreak-scenario when the government has previously pulled the boy-that-cried-wolf-scenario we are in now.

Oopsies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Except, there https://catalyst.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/CAT.20.0080]is[/url] such a shortage. It is not because of softening morals concerning the treatment of elderly - age limits for ICU admission are very much in place. It is because of intrinsic characteristics of COVID-19: asymptomatic transmission with a 5-day incubation time, the high percentage of patients who require ventilatory support, the relatively long recovery time, and the lack of an accepted, effective treatment.

ICU space and ventilators aren't the only things running out. So is PPE. And plain old hospital space, which young patients still need to recover. The Javits Center is now a field hospital. Is that for the artificially-created case load?

These shortages should be solved efficiently - for example, the Bergamo doctors (linked above) suggest home visits and "fever hospitals" more reminiscent of 19th century medicine than modern "patient-centered care". But it is ridiculous to pretend the shortages don't exist.
    Where were the shortages in February 2018? you know when the flu killed 4,000 Americans EACH WEEK. You didn't know that? Of course you didn't, nobody did.

So far we have 550 dead. That's not even a bad day in February 2018.

But let's plunge into a Depression so we can save 80yr olds with multiple preexisting conditions.

When this is done it will be the greatest national embarrassment in history, and hopefully it will eradicate liberals for good. Because all of this nonsensical hysteria is from intellectual liberalism.

How are we ever going to allow 50K to die from the flu next year after this?

Fucking insanity.

This just in...

Modi putting India on lock-down for 21 days

The Charlton piece is intriguing. Any pulmonologists on here? What's would be the ICU/vent policy for multiply comorbid 65+ year olds with respiratory tract infections?

It's clear that many posters here do not deem the global reaction to COVID-19 commensurate with the threat it poses.

The following question is meant as a genuine attempt at a meeting of minds.

Is there any viral scenario (a different virus with different properties) that would warrant enforced and strict social distancing measures (assuming the limited resources we have, and I'm including here resources like public awareness, education, testing capabilities)?

Or is [freedom to associate] moral bedrock/sacred?
    There are freedoms that are non-negotiable. In the 20th century alone, between communism and war, governments killed over 200 million people. I don’t fear dying of the sniffles, I fear the government response and economic fallout.

I like to think we'll get there in the future (maybe the next pandemic). But even in a situation where people generally know what to do, even a small number of schools/churches/sporting events etc. not playing along can have devastating effects.

Have you heard of patient 31 who has been causally linked to 60% of the South Korean cases? The dynamics of human networks are such that a single person can have enormous effects. And even if you aren't a super spreader, you may infect someone who becomes a super spreader.

I'll grant you that if most people are behaving themselves, then these effects can be dampened, but it's an empirical question as to what the thresholds are where enforcement becomes necessary.
    They let the guy in their houses? Or they trusted the government to protect them when this happened. You're having trouble wrapping your head around my suggestion, aren't you? And how many of those people are now dead, out of the population of SK who would have died during that time anyway?

Italy went from around 30 total dead at the end of February to a peak of ~800 dead in a single day three weeks later. Imagine what that peak would have looked like had they waited even a few more days to act.
    You're a statto, spacediver. Tell me how Italy is not the most severe outlier in the world. And what do you stattos do with outliers -- or what did you used to do with outliers? Stattos know that people die all the time, right? Why are you treating COVID19 as the only cause of death in the world in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Here's another valuable piece Hitchens brought to my attention, from Prof John Ioannidis, Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology, Population Health, Biomedical Data Science, and Statistics at Stanford:

In the coronavirus pandemic, we're making decisions without reliable data
    Doesn't hurt to post it again. Some of you have obviously missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    There are 582 fatalities at this point in the US ... 45000 cases in the US as of now, and it hasn't even started yet, what with all the choices. What a difference a couple of months make!
    And in 2009-2010 the H1N1 flu infected 60 million and killed 18000. Do the math. You're right, it hasn't even started yet, and it might get bad, but we have thrown it the bone of a destroyed economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gleichauf View Post
    There are freedoms that are non-negotiable. In the 20th century alone, between communism and war, governments killed over 200 million people. I don’t fear dying of the sniffles, I fear the government response and economic fallout.
    Freedom is always negotiable to some people, as long as it's your freedom we're negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And in 2009-2010 the H1N1 flu infected 60 million and killed 18000. Do the math. You're right, it hasn't even started yet, and it might get bad, but we have thrown it the bone of a destroyed economy.
    At this point, even if there were no further cases starting tomorrow, the economy is fucked.

Spacediver: here's a statto question for you: what percentage of people are placed on ventilators for COVID19, and how many of them die anyway?

Mark, ventilators are reserved for people who will not die anyway. Especially now. You can look up the recent changes to Italy’s triage policy. These are elementary considerations.

The ventilator shortage is real. Auto manufacturers are retooling to make them. This shortage is not some insurmountable challenge. In a short few weeks, you can link to blog posts about the irrational panic over medical equipment, and possibly be correct.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Spacediver: here's a statto question for you: what percentage of people are placed on ventilators for COVID19, and how many of them die anyway?
    Figure 2; ICU ~ ventilator

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6912e2-H.pdf