starting strength gym
Page 84 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586941341845841084 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I suggest that this thread be suspended for 6 months. Then everyone can come back and see if they were right or not.
    You mean, quarantine the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    1) So how many deaths are acceptable? I can appreciate the argument that an illness will cause some deaths. But what is the acceptable level?
    No deaths are "acceptable." 60 million deaths per year will occur, "acceptable" or not. This is the difference between what we want and what will be. Perhaps you never learned this.

2) Are you trying to imply that even if half of the cases are asymptomatic that this is less of concern compared to those other illnesses? Given how unintelligent I am could you provide some numbers regarding rates of infection. In a population of 100 people, if 50% are symptomatic that would mean 50 people are symptomatic. If 100% of people in a population of 25 people with another disease are symptomatic you would have only 25 people infected? Given how smart you are, don't you think you are missing some essential components to your argument?
    This is gibberish. There are no good data on rates of infection with COVID-19. Iceland is the best, and as has been pointed out earlier, the cruise ship data was flawed. If "In a population of 100 people, if 50% are symptomatic that would mean 50 people are symptomatic." then 50% of people are not "sick." Why waste time typing this meaningless shit?

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    So you are comparing the deaths from Covid at a SINGLE hospital in NYC to every single death that occurs inside of the city per day? You are aware that yesterday alone there were 300 covid related deaths in NYC alone right? I'm certain the numbers are even higher today.
    What was the number of deaths in NYC on March 31 of 2019? How has that differed from deaths on March 31 for the previous 20 years? I asked you nicely to leave, and you won't leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What was the number of deaths in NYC on March 31 of 2019? How has that differed from deaths on March 31 for the previous 20 years?
    It's not trivial to obtain historical data at such a granular level, but I was at least partly successful:
    • In the 7 days ending March 30, 2020, the number of COVID-19-related deaths in NYC was 811.
    • In the 7 days ending April 2, 2016, the number of deaths from all causes in NYC was 1088, including 56 from influenza.

So, even though we're still nowhere near the peak of the outbreak in NYC, COVID-19 is already killing almost as many people there per week as would normally die in total from all causes, And nearly 15x as many as would normally die from influenza in the same period.

Reference:

CDC WONDER MMWR

Note that that particular week in 2016 was by no means an outlier:
    CDC WONDER MMWR

There is an article on ZH about the huge numbers of deaths in Italy being due to an unusually mild winter. The cold weather kills off many of the old and weak, but this time it didn't. The virus this affected a much greater number, in a much shorter time scale, resulting in their health service being swamped.

So you are comparing the deaths from Covid at a SINGLE hospital in NYC to every single death that occurs inside of the city per day?
    Nope. Simply contextualizing the ridiculousness of the media sensationalizing 13 deaths as “apocalyptic”.

You are aware that yesterday alone there were 300 covid related deaths in NYC alone right?
    And how would I know that when the NYT headline clearly states 13 “apocalyptic” deaths?

These two posts demonstrate the fact that you're not particularly intelligent. You're about to get free money -- a lot of people are -- and your little leftist dream will be played out on a very large scale. There will be long-term consequences to the economy, and you will ignore them. Likewise, your failure to appreciate the fact that if COVID-19 is asymptomatic in half the infections, that makes it very motherfucking different than SARS, MERS, and Ebola, and this insane overreaction that is destroying the economy of the world is either the single biggest piece of monumental stupidity or the most bald-faced power grab in the history of humanity. Your "healthcare" career is safe, as are the careers of all the world's bureaucrats. Lots of people are making lots of money, and lots of people are losing lots of money. Your plea for free shit makes me physically ill. Go the fuck away.
    im not into conspiracies. im not a liberal or a conservative. im just an average guy, but i have to say i agree with this. ive yet to meet a single person with corona but almost everyone i know is out of work or at least taken a hit, as well as all the kids that are out of sports and school. if 1 kid in an elementary school class got a cold, would the entire class get sent home??? thats the comparison that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Relatives of COVID-19 patients in Britain are prohibited from visiting them, even if the patient is terminally ill. The thought of families being denied the chance to say goodbye to their dying loved ones because of this grotesque hysteria makes my blood boil. If the population ever realises how utterly unnecessary all of this was, there will be a reckoning of public fury not seen in decades.

Those of us who have seen beyond the sinister proclamations of governments and the sycophantic media now have a duty to do what we can to make sure our governments do not get away with this. My strong suspicion is that many in government have already realised the scale of the disaster they have inflicted upon us in the absence of any substantial evidence or good sense. But their inner doubts are likely to be quashed by the overwhelming desire to cover up this monumental error by taking credit for the eventual reduction in cases, a reduction which was bound to occur naturally as herd immunity grows and blocks the spread. The only way this situation could get worse is if the government successfully convinces the public that they saved us all, which they will likely do unless enough people are alerted to the arguments of dissenting voices. There is now a window of opportunity for dissent to take hold before the government PR machine saves their hides. Do not remain silent. Share your criticisms with others. Make as many people as you can aware of the glaring holes in the justifications for mass house arrest and the destruction of our economies. Those less courageous than you will be cowed into gullible acceptance unless they hear their own inchoate doubts expressed forcefully by those around them.

Thankfully we have a growing body of evidence on our side. Point to the many experts, medical, epidemeological, and legal, challenging the official line. Point to countries like Sweden, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and those in Latin America who have not taken draconian measures yet are doing just as well as we are in the face of the virus. The media have failed us by not reporting these things, so we must do it ourselves instead.
    This poster nailed it. Spread the word. It's not easy but it's our duty. Some of your coworkers will look at you like your crazy. Some of your neighbors will not look in your direction after this. Some of your so-called friends will disappear. That's all unimportant. This tragedy is the most significant failure of the media and some of our leadership in modern times.

Some more context:

FastStats - Deaths and Mortality

In 2017 2,813,503 died in the US.

= 7708 per day

= 321 per hour

= 5 per minute

starting strength coach development program
    What was the number of deaths in NYC on March 31 of 2019? How has that differed from deaths on March 31 for the previous 20 years? I asked you nicely to leave, and you won't leave.
    Do you actually know this number?