starting strength gym
Page 88 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990981381885881088 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How much longer before martial law, and civil unrest?

Quote Originally Posted by lazygun37 View Post
    Second, in line with this, CDC guidance suggests testing only for cases where COVID-19 is already suspected based on contacts or symptoms.
    I've been loosely following and I can see this thread is getting contentious. I don't really have much of a dog in this race, and I don't really know where I stand, but I do have one thing I keep wondering about regarding your quoted statement:

Per this site, there have been 220,880 total tests in NY as of 4/2/2020 at 3:44 A.M. CST. Of those, 83,712 were positive and 137,168 were negative. Assuming tests were given only to those who were in proximity to a sick patient or to someone who presented similar symptoms, then well over 60% of all of the tests given for "those presenting symptoms" turned out to be negative for COVID-19. This means that something is giving people symptoms such as fever, sore throat, dry cough, etc... warranting a test which then becomes negative. Even if half the negative tests were because of "proximity" to a known COVID patient, then a quarter of all tests are being done for similar symptoms that result in negative COVID tests. We don't know if the people testing negative for COVID-19 are also dying. Maybe they have a bad case of flu that's causing their symptoms and they die from that... Maybe it's just seasonal allergies and people are panicking. We just don't know except there are sick people testing negative for COVID-19.

I think what some of the folks on here are trying to say is that whatever that something is, if it's present in someone with COVID-19 and that person dies, they're automatically chalking it up to COVID-19. I mean, let's be honest... Let's say you're 75, catch the flu, get raging sick from it and are also exposed to COVID-19 but are essentially asymptomatic to it. You die. Your death will be chalked up to COVID-19 no matter what - simply because you tested positive. Maybe that's a rare case, but we just don't know. On the flip side, you have symptoms, get tested and COVID-19 is negative. You die. You're not even being tracked at this point. You're not even a dot on a John Hopkins map anymore.

Another example is Ohio. From the same site, as of the time of writing this, there were 29,539 tests given. There are only 2547 positive tests. That's basically a 10% hit ratio on people with symptoms IF the state is following CDC guidelines. There are many other states like this where the positive tests as a ratio of total tests are in the 1:10 ballpark. Maybe that's because it's early on still. I don't know.

I'm tired and my brain keeps telling me there are some Bayesian statistics for this, but it's been too damn long and I don't care to research it that much for the benefit of an internet thread.

Anecdotally, I had three co-workers fall ill over the course of the last few weeks. Each time, we waited with bated breath (lest we all have to quarantine for 14 days) as we found out they had all the classical symptoms: dry cough, fever, body aches, etc... and were asked to take COVID tests before returning to work. Each time, they tested negative. Turns out... One guy was actually getting chickenpox for the first time in his life. He's 47 and it has completely fucked him up. Another guy had the flu, and another guy... Let's just say he's a bit of a drama queen.

Again, I'm sort of COVID agnostic in that I don't know what to believe anymore. I do firmly believe that COVID-19 is causing people to get very sick in some cases, but I do also believe that the data we're basing massive decisions on is absolute shit. The media has turned this into an End Times scenario for sure. Governments are panicking. Businesses are failing. It's scary times. I just hope we don't look back on this and say, "Oh man, we cried wolf too loudly," because then no one will ever listen when the 40-50% mortality rate killer comes.

Lazygun37

If you value truth, honour and integrity, please answer Rip’s simple question: what do you do for paid employment and who is your employer?

Was curious and went looking. According to the CDC, 2,067,404 old folks die every year. The math works out to over 5664 deaths a day for 65 and older. In the USA, we just went over 5000 attributed to the CV. First death of CV was 28 Feb, 33 days times 5664 = 186,915 old folks dead. Of the 5000 CV deaths, how many of them would have been in the 186,915 deaths? Math is why I don't think the response is appropriate to the threat.

One of the common questions asked by those who favor shutting down the country to "flatten the curve" is something to the effect of "at what level or mortality would you start to become concerned?". Phrased as an accusation, it looks like this: "you don’t care about a million excess deaths so long as it keeps the economy going another month".

I wonder what those who present such arguments (Bruno, lazygun, etc.) would answer to that same question asked slightly differently.

Is tanking the economy worth it to save one life? How about ten? A thousand? Where would YOU draw the line?

To take a turn making a hyperbolic accusation: you don't care about putting a third of the country on unemployment and adding $2 trillion to the national debt as long as it saves the life of one 89 year old man with multiple comorbidities.

First, I'm surprised someone replied to this post.

Second, I guess you missed the word 'own' when I wrote "CNN recently put their own version out." I guess I should've emboldened the 'own' and 'version'. Here's another version that doesn't show any of those things you mentioned. COVID-19: First results of the voluntary screening in Iceland - Nordic Life Science – the leading Nordic life science news service

Third, the point that many people have been trying to make has finally been published in mainstream media -I'll spoon feed you some quotes from it. Perhaps now we can move onto the greater discussion at hand. Coronavirus: Why death and mortality rates differ - BBC Future

"Even if you’re careful to compare the same type of fatality rate across countries, it’s easy to see how testing more, or fewer, people would change the results."

"In fact, the lack of widespread, systematic testing in most countries is the main source of discrepancies in death rates internationally"

"An added difficulty is that this data is not from peer-reviewed research, but rather is almost real-time clinical data – which can be messy and come with many caveats" --in regards to the Iceland data.

"But what if they had an underlying condition, such as asthma, which was exacerbated by Covid-19? Or what if the patient died from something seemingly less related to Covid-19, which is a respiratory disease – such as, say, a brain aneurysm? Which condition should be considered the cause of death?"

"In the US, doctors have more discretion: they are asked to record whether the patient died “as a result of this illness” when reporting Covid-19 deaths to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It could be easy to see how a physician might believe that a Covid-19 patient who died of, say, a heart attack or brain aneurysm didn’t die as a result of Covid-19, and so wouldn’t report accordingly." But can also impose challenges as mentioned in the quote above. This means there are most likely Covid-19 cases being reported that are incorrect. How do I know? Because we know that doctors are not always right.

"Importantly, though, while this might make a difference when the data is analysed months or years from now, this doesn’t translate into any difference in the death statistics at the moment" Which is why this is definitely very important.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    If you knew someone was positive for Covid-19, would you allow them to train in your gym even if they were asymptomatic? How would your business be affected if a large percentage of your clientele became ill from such a person and it was traced back to your gym.
    I don't let people with the flu train in my gym, you moron, because I don't want my members to catch the flu. Keep in mind that this is MY DECISION, not yours, because at least for a little while longer it is MY GYM. Do you, as a "health care worker", understand the concept of ownership? Of building something your way for a very long time that also happens to help lots of people?

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    How much longer before martial law, and civil unrest?
    https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...e_is_born.html

We have bigger problems than sick people: when the sick people get better, they will have a completely different country to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

New York is not the universe. New Yorkers fail to understand this. Not all of us are as scared to get sick as we are about losing our livelihoods and our independence. I've been sick before, but I've never been under house arrest before, and I'd rather be sick.
    I would like to add on to this. This should really be called the NY Coronavirus because half of the deaths and half of the cases are from New York state alone. Half, and you know in February and early March all the social justice warriors and Twitter fighters were going full on woke to fight racism and "be brave" by visiting Chinese restaurants and taking silly risks during a pandemic. Additionally a flu or virus is naturally going to hit a city or concentrated area harder just due to the nature of a virus. Just like in the southeast hurricanes are more of a threat to the people there and less of a threat to people in the mid west and people in the mid West are under more of a threat for tornados than people in the southeast I could go. And everyone from the state visited NYC during Feb and March upping NY states number and you better be damn sure China sent super spreaders to NYC.

In the southeastern state I live there are 8 deaths. 8 deaths. 8 deaths in 2 months. We were taking measures to wash hands when entering the gym, limiting gym class sizes, even changing training and partially closing the gym on our own with no govt interference. The gym owner was talking to medical professionals in early March and being proactive until it was forced to close by the govt.

Ironically, unemployment applications last week were 3.3 million and applications for unemployment this week were 6.6 million applications. During the GREAT RECESSION of 2008-2009, which was pretty bad, the number maxed at 650,000 for the highest weekly unemployment applications. If you want an example of exponential growth, the unemployment numbers would be that. Off. The. Fucking. Charts. The numbers just getting bigger for Corona can all be explained by confirmation bias, comorbidity, ect, ECT.

3.3 Million file for unemployment
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rus-3-million/

6.6 Million file for unemployment
    Unemployment benefits: 6.6 million Americans filed initial jobless claims last week as coronavirus takes toll on job markets - CNN

10 million jobs lost in one month. But this is not a depression because it happened too fast. I forget which moron said that, it was either Shiva or lazygun.

starting strength coach development program
    You don’t get to make up definitions for economic terms at your whim.

Terminology aside, it is clear that the economy can’t sustain this any longer. Parts of California (which had the most unemployment claims) have been locked down for 3 weeks. I think they have a matter of days to lift the lockdowns. That should have been enough time to secure PPE, expand ICU capacity, and flush out all presymptomatic cases.