starting strength gym
Page 89 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091991391895891089 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Let us know what Governor Newsom says about your plan.

How about calling it a Suppression. Soon to be Oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    How about calling it a Suppression. Soon to be Oppression.
    You can't just make up economic terms at your whim.

Like John McCain used to say ... “You can call it a banana ...”

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    One of the common questions asked by those who favor shutting down the country to "flatten the curve" is something to the effect of "at what level or mortality would you start to become concerned?". Phrased as an accusation, it looks like this: "you don’t care about a million excess deaths so long as it keeps the economy going another month".

I wonder what those who present such arguments (Bruno, lazygun, etc.) would answer to that same question asked slightly differently.

Is tanking the economy worth it to save one life? How about ten? A thousand? Where would YOU draw the line?

To take a turn making a hyperbolic accusation: you don't care about putting a third of the country on unemployment and adding $2 trillion to the national debt as long as it saves the life of one 89 year old man with multiple comorbidities.

You do realize that the problem isn't necessarily people becoming sick or the unfortunate fact that some people will in fact die from this that is driving the "flattening of the curve", right? The problem is overwhelming a healthcare system that cannot support the rapid spread of this virus. This is something that often gets lost when discussing mortality, rate of infection, etc. The entire point for everyone staying home at the moment is to prevent the rapid spread of the virus and allow the healthcare system to function. "Flattening the curve" doesn't necessarily reduce the "area under the curve" (total number of infections), but rather spreads it out so the healthcare system can deal with it. This is how you prevent the unnecessary deaths.

For the healthcare system to deal with this there are 2 options; 1) increase the total number of resources within the healthcare system or 2) controlling the spread of the virus though increased testing, home quarantine, avoiding crowds, washing hands, etc. Given the scant lack of resources we have at the moment (see lack of PPEs, lack of ventilators, etc) we are left with option #2. I personally draw the line regarding the current societal measures at the point where the healthcare system can't keep up with the spread of the virus. It is a far more expensive and timely battle if you get behind and are trying to pay catch-up. What do you think would have happened to the economy if we did nothing?

Also, if you are concerned about adding $2 trillion dollars to the national debt, perhaps now would be a good time to discuss with your member of congress about repealing Trumps tax cuts. Total bill for that was also $2 trillion, and the majority of that went to the wealthiest people in the country. Getting that money back and using it to pay for those individuals who are unable to work would certainly help, wouldn't it?

My position has been simple (and free of jargon). A collapsed medical system is unacceptable. To prevent that, the economy did have some leeway for lockdowns - maybe a month's worth. That leeway is almost gone, and a collapsed economy is much more unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Lazygun37

If you value truth, honour and integrity, please answer Rip’s simple question: what do you do for paid employment and who is your employer?
    Perhaps you should first describe how this is relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't let people with the flu train in my gym, you moron, because I don't want my members to catch the flu. Keep in mind that this is MY DECISION, not yours, because at least for a little while longer it is MY GYM. Do you, as a "health care worker", understand the concept of ownership? Of building something your way for a very long time that also happens to help lots of people?
    Given that people who are asymptomatic can easily spread the disease, would you have recommended keeping your own gym or the franchise SS gyms open at this time? Would you have a problem if the CDC later came knocking on your door and told you to shut down your gym as several cases were traced back to it if you did decide to keep it open?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Perhaps you should first describe how this is relevant?
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Given that people who are asymptomatic can easily spread the disease, would you have recommended keeping your own gym or the franchise SS gyms open at this time?
    I have already explained my position on this, but I'll say it again: Everything should be open. If you don't want to get sick, stay home. Your problem is that you are a leftist, and you firmly believe the old maxim -- "That which is not mandatory is prohibited."

Would you have a problem if the CDC later came knocking on your door and told you to shut down your gym as several cases were traced back to it if you did decide to keep it open?
    When the Federal Government can shut down businesses in Texas, your Utopia has been realized and I am outta here.