starting strength gym
Page 90 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 408088899091921001401905901090 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    The problem is overwhelming a healthcare system that cannot support the rapid spread of this virus.
    I understand you're a healthcare worker, right?

I have two questions for you:

1. Was there any place in the US where the COVID hospitalizations overwhelmed the healthcare system? If so, where? If you could share quantitative, well-sourced information that would be great. Newspaper articles are sadly too sensationalist.

2. If it wasn't overwhelmed, how close did we get to overwhelming it, before shutting everything down?

The reason I ask is because hospitalizations from previous flu seasons have been as high as 12X the current COVID hospitalizations. Yet in years past I don't ever remember hearing about such catastrophes. Moreover anec-data from doctors also seems to suggest no surge. See, for example, this post a few days ago by the Chair of Medicine at UCSF: https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/stat...85051316195328

Newsom issued the order on March 20th...given that the incubation period is about 5-7 days, shouldn't we have observed at least some surge?

Given that people who are asymptomatic can easily spread the disease, would you have recommended keeping your own gym or the franchise SS gyms open at this time? Would you have a problem if the CDC later came knocking on your door and told you to shut down your gym as several cases were traced back to it if you did decide to keep it open?
    You are right. The government just needs to take his gym and tell him what he can and can't do or say. They have probably already traced back to his gym several cases of people not following the exercise and sports science peer review literature. How dare he think for himself? It's just not safe.

I just got an email that strongly hints the private gym I had been training at may not be able to reopen after this fiasco. The CDC shut down their gym, but they didn't even have the courtesy to come knocking at the door. It's not hypothetical anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    I understand you're a healthcare worker, right?

I have two questions for you:

1. Was there any place in the US where the COVID hospitalizations overwhelmed the healthcare system? If so, where? If you could share quantitative, well-sourced information that would be great. Newspaper articles are sadly too sensationalist.

2. If it wasn't overwhelmed, how close did we get to overwhelming it, before shutting everything down?

The reason I ask is because hospitalizations from previous flu seasons have been as high as 12X the current COVID hospitalizations. Yet in years past I don't ever remember hearing about such catastrophes. Moreover anec-data from doctors also seems to suggest no surge. See, for example, this post a few days ago by the Chair of Medicine at UCSF: https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/stat...85051316195328

Newsom issued the order on March 20th...given that the incubation period is about 5-7 days, shouldn't we have observed at least some surge?
    There is an entire 50-bed private hospital here in WF that is completely empty, because "elective" procedures like knee and hip replacements have been prohibited, since COVID-19 is going to overwhelm the medical industry.

You do realize that the problem isn't necessarily people becoming sick or the unfortunate fact that some people will in fact die from this that is driving the "flattening of the curve", right? The problem is overwhelming a healthcare system that cannot support the rapid spread of this virus. This is something that often gets lost when discussing mortality, rate of infection, etc. The entire point for everyone staying home at the moment is to prevent the rapid spread of the virus and allow the healthcare system to function. "Flattening the curve" doesn't necessarily reduce the "area under the curve" (total number of infections), but rather spreads it out so the healthcare system can deal with it. This is how you prevent the unnecessary deaths.
    This line of thought has been repeated multiple times in this thread. You are just parroting sound bites.

People keep promising me that things are going to get really bad and then I'll finally realize the point of this shut-down. We're over two weeks into it and all I see to justify it are 10,000,000 claims for unemployment versus about 5,600 deaths as of yesterday, in a country of 330,000,000.

For the healthcare system to deal with this there are 2 options; 1) increase the total number of resources within the healthcare system or 2) controlling the spread of the virus though increased testing, home quarantine, avoiding crowds, washing hands, etc. Given the scant lack of resources we have at the moment (see lack of PPEs, lack of ventilators, etc) we are left with option #2. I personally draw the line regarding the current societal measures at the point where the healthcare system can't keep up with the spread of the virus. It is a far more expensive and timely battle if you get behind and are trying to pay catch-up. What do you think would have happened to the economy if we did nothing?
    There is no "we" deciding what to do in this situation. The governors of the majority of states took it upon themselves to order everyone what to do. Nobody got any kind of vote on shutting down the whole country.

Also, if you are concerned about adding $2 trillion dollars to the national debt, perhaps now would be a good time to discuss with your member of congress about repealing Trumps tax cuts. Total bill for that was also $2 trillion, and the majority of that went to the wealthiest people in the country. Getting that money back and using it to pay for those individuals who are unable to work would certainly help, wouldn't it?

Third times the charm?

http://altfeldinc.com/pdfs/BASICECONOMICS.pdf

The entire point for everyone staying home at the moment is to prevent the rapid spread of the virus and allow the healthcare system to function.
    And when the aforementioned policy decisions were made it was absolutely unknown how much it had already been spreading, though evidence is beginning to indicate likely more than was assumed in the panic statistical exponential modeling phase, which would render this argument as retroactively illogical...

My mma gym is most likely gonna close, the owners reached out to the regulars yesterday and told us the news. It’s a fucking shame, a 24 year old and his father just bought the place in December, don’t have much to their name at all, and now just lost their business. My buddy’s mother owns a diner and tried to keep the lights on by doing takeout, but it just wasnt worth it. She’s now saying she doesn’t think she’s going to be able to reopen if things don’t lighten up before June. Lastly, I’ve seen two gofundme profiles for businesses asking for donations to keep paying their rent during this time. This is a fucking mess, and we can not bail ourselves out of this. Maybe it would have been a good idea to not have spent ourselves to the brink of bankruptcy before this shit happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    He has no intention of learning anything, Itomo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider

I have already explained my position on this, but I'll say it again: Everything should be open. If you don't want to get sick, stay home. Your problem is that you are a leftist, and you firmly believe the old maxim -- "That which is not mandatory is prohibited."

When the Federal Government can shut down businesses in Texas, your Utopia has been realized and I am outta here.

Unless you are accusing him of profiting off of this, it really isn't relevant. Is he being accused of something?

Thankfully you aren't in charge, as businesses would close anyway once more and more people become sick. You don't seem to understand that everything will not run business as usual if you kept everything open.

I guess you have me here. The quarantine order is actually coming from the state and local authorities. Would you be ok if one of those organizations shut you down? Do state and local authorities not have such power in texas? Given the private businesses like restaurants can easily be shut down for failing health inspections, remind me to never eat anything out anywhere in Texas if this is so.

Sorry, I thought I was responding directly to Mark.

starting strength coach development program
    Unless you are accusing him of profiting off of this, it really isn't relevant. Is he being accused of something?

Thankfully you aren't in charge, as businesses would close anyway once more and more people become sick. You don't seem to understand that everything will not run business as usual if you kept everything open.

I guess you have me here. The quarantine order is actually coming from the state and local authorities. Would you be ok if one of those organizations shut you down? Do state and local authorities not have such power in texas? Given the private businesses like restaurants can easily be shut down for failing health inspections, remind me to never eat anything out anywhere in Texas if this is so.
    Can't continue with this idiot. He doesn't understand much of anything.