COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 91

starting strength gym
Page 91 of 2463 FirstFirst ... 418189909192931011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 24624

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #901
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    64

    Default

    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is an entire 50-bed private hospital here in WF that is completely empty, because "elective" procedures like knee and hip replacements have been prohibited, since COVID-19 is going to overwhelm the medical industry.
    And yet only 2 months ago there was only a single case in the entire country. First Covid case in New York was March 1st. Where are we now? How delusional are you?

  2. #902
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    49,997

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    You do realize that the problem isn't necessarily people becoming sick or the unfortunate fact that some people will in fact die from this that is driving the "flattening of the curve", right? The problem is overwhelming a healthcare system that cannot support the rapid spread of this virus. This is something that often gets lost when discussing mortality, rate of infection, etc. The entire point for everyone staying home at the moment is to prevent the rapid spread of the virus and allow the healthcare system to function. "Flattening the curve" doesn't necessarily reduce the "area under the curve" (total number of infections), but rather spreads it out so the healthcare system can deal with it. This is how you prevent the unnecessary deaths.
    Yes, I do realize that that was part of the rationale for shutting everything down.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    I personally draw the line regarding the current societal measures at the point where the healthcare system can't keep up with the spread of the virus.
    If I understand this statement correctly, then my hyperbolic statement was something you actually agree with. If one hospital anywhere in the country needs to make a triage decision to let an 89 year old man with multiple comorbidities die because a ventilator is not available, then this is all worth it. Is that actually what you're saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    What do you think would have happened to the economy if we did nothing?
    I have no idea, and neither do you.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Also, if you are concerned about adding $2 trillion dollars to the national debt, perhaps now would be a good time to discuss with your member of congress about repealing Trumps tax cuts. Total bill for that was also $2 trillion, and the majority of that went to the wealthiest people in the country. Getting that money back and using it to pay for those individuals who are unable to work would certainly help, wouldn't it?
    My opinion on tax cuts that were signed into law last year are not germane to this discussion.

  4. #904
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Perhaps you should first describe how this is relevant?
    Because our experiences shape our beliefs. So, what job do you do for paid employment and who is your employer?

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    49,997

    Default

    Bruno has said he's a "healthcare worker." This means he will not be laid off, but maybe he can be fired. Meanwhile, lazygun is a bureaucrat who also cannot be laid off. They do not understand our perspective.

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Also, if you are concerned about adding $2 trillion dollars to the national debt, perhaps now would be a good time to discuss with your member of congress about repealing Trumps tax cuts. Total bill for that was also $2 trillion, and the majority of that went to the wealthiest people in the country. Getting that money back and using it to pay for those individuals who are unable to work would certainly help, wouldn't it?
    There it is.
    You're not upset at the number of people who are sick and dying.
    You're not upset that there may be many many more people who get sick and die.
    You're not upset at the possibility of overwhelming the healthcare system.

    You're upset at first the wealthy, then Republicans, and finally Trump. You should've just said that in the beginning, it would've saved a lot of time.

  7. #907
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    30,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    So, what job do you do for paid employment and who is your employer?
    Purveyor of disinformation. Employed by the GRU in a server farm. Russian media ‘spreading Covid-19 disinformation’ | World news | The Guardian

  8. #908
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Finally some # for tests performed are becoming available.

    # of tests has been growing exponentially, while % of positives is rather steady:

    https://twitter.com/FScholkmann/stat...42543121387520

  9. #909
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    There it is.
    You're not upset at the number of people who are sick and dying.
    You're not upset that there may be many many more people who get sick and die.
    You're not upset at the possibility of overwhelming the healthcare system.

    You're upset at first the wealthy, then Republicans, and finally Trump. You should've just said that in the beginning, it would've saved a lot of time.

    An overburdened healthcare system results in an increased number of people who unnecessarily die. These are not unrelated. Also, people are worried about where the money is going to come from regarding the bailout. An easy place to start would be to repeal the Trump tax cut that largely went to the wealthy. Is there a particular reason those tax cuts are off limits regarding discussion? But I am just a "leftist" wanting my "free government money" according to Mark.

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    172

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Bruno has said he's a "healthcare worker." This means he will not be laid off, but maybe he can be fired. Meanwhile, lazygun is a bureaucrat who also cannot be laid off. They do not understand our perspective.
    Do Bruno and Lazygun care for the unhealthy and perform their bureaucratic paid for employment duties with only the naked bodies they were born with or do they use tools, tech, wear clothes, travel to work etc built / made by the endeavours of businesses small and large (many of whom will not economically survive this train wreck). They are the epitome of no skin (or spine) in the game yet opine and pontificate what others should do and sacrifice. Shameful, cowardly, dishonourable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •