starting strength gym
Page 119 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 19691091171181191201211291692196191119 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    For those familiar with Michael Bury, of the Big Short, he has some fairly strong views on the topic. As someone with medical quals and who is also extremely good with 'details', his comments are worth a read. Even if you disagree.
    He's right about the economy, but wrong about post-lockdown life. The susceptible "elderly" are not octogenarians, but rather "50+ with cardiovascular disease or diabetes". We'll still need expanded hospital capacity and population-wide face covering / sanitation for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Why do you believe much of the medical system is shut down? This is not mandated by the government, nor does it carry a financial incentive. Are the hospital administrators simply in the grip of bad models?
    Because I am in touch with people from all over the country where the situation is like it is here in WF: we have 2 hospitals, one of which is essentially closed, and the main hospital which has a few people on the floors, 1 in ICU. Wichita County is holding steady at 48 cases, no deaths, 9 in the hospital, 32 at home, 7 "recovered." Nursing staff sent home due to overstaffing. ER normally sees 30-40 patients a day, last few days the census is down 60%. County/state labs will not take test samples on the weekends. This is what I'm hearing from everywhere except NJ, where the sentences are correct. No bodies are piled in the floor, and there are no refrigerator trucks being used for makeshift morgues.

Tangential: Is there plot of hospital admits across hospitals, showing the stress on capacity and exceedances? Quick Google scrape indicates two regions with obviously excessive admits: New York and Atlanta.

Also, noticed the "overwhelmed hospital" has been in the news cycle before:

Hospitals Overwhelmed by Flu Patients Are Treating Them in Tents | Time

Tents, etc...

Wonder how current admit #s compare to that and other similar previous data.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Do you know how many cases of the simple flu are spread throughout the hospital normally?
    That sounds scary. I heard tens of thousands of people die from that every year in the US alone. You should probably shut down every year from October to March.

Yes, some jobs will be lost. However, there is also a good chance many of those jobs if not more would have been lost if we let this go unchecked. People won't be going to the store if people are becoming sick and dying. Even if you do become ill and survive, medical expenses will be incurred. People have no sick leave or savings. People will become bankrupt and lose their jobs just as they do now with other illnesses. Do you have a plan for that?
    What world do you live in man? Ten million people applied for unemployment in the last two weeks alone, and the number is projected to be higher this week. Janet Yellen thinks the unemployment rate is now 13%.

However the longer we drag our heals and not adhere to recommendations the longer this lasts.
    What recommendations are not being followed? What more do you want from us? The fascist in chief in NJ just closed the parks today because he didn’t like how people were behaving. Are you ok with that?

I was having a conversation this morning with the woman at our local police department who handles applications for firearms purchaser ID cards. Usually when she comes in there’s one or two applications. For the last few weeks there have been 12-15 every time she comes in. That’s people who have never owned a gun who now want to buy one in a smallish town of about 18K.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Tangential: Is there plot of hospital admits across hospitals, showing the stress on capacity and exceedances? Quick Google scrape indicates two regions with obviously excessive admits: New York and Atlanta.

Also, noticed the "overwhelmed hospital" has been in the news cycle before:

Hospitals Overwhelmed by Flu Patients Are Treating Them in Tents | Time

Tents, etc...

Wonder how current admit #s compare to that and other similar previous data.
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider

However, are you implying that the number of cases has not been rapidly increasing with the spread of the infection over the past several months?
    No I’m implying that perhaps our current trajectory is already the result of the virus running unchecked and rampant in the community without quarantine, and that the majority of the lockdown is both unnecessary and counterproductive, despite yours and the government’s insistence that without it millions would get really sick and die...

Couple of takeaways at this point. One is government is, IMO, going to push this social experiment to the brink of complete social unrest. Here’s an interesting little nugget from Dr Emanuel, one Rahm Emanuel’s brother...

YouTube

18 months??!!!...at what point do people recognize this as a possible stick up? Not denying the virus as being potentially deadly for the elderly and sick folks but geez...at least be reasonable with the approach and STOP labeling CLEARLY non Covid deaths as covid to further the narrative.

Second point for now and moving forward...what role (or responsibility) do detrained, chronically unhealthy (basically normal sedentary people for the most part) have in limiting the freedoms of those who make conscious decisions daily to eat, sleep, train, and maintain healthy relationships? These would clearly be in a better position to fight off the virus.

The leading city re death rate in my state has a large number of hypertensive, overweight, non-compliant, diabetic, asthmatic patients (HONDA patients). In other words, we can sequester the elderly and younger folks with genetic anomalies but what about these detrained types who are 35-50 yrs old walking around? This virus or any new one later could body slam them like an 80 yr old. Their consistent and chronic poor decisions may play a major role in our ability to unlock this lockdown based on how we are doing things currently. Certainly a debatable concept. Government can’t legislate certain things...

Obviously a vaccine will offer a major solution here, assuming it is efficacious, but there will he more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    That sounds scary. I heard tens of thousands of people die from that every year in the US alone. You should probably shut down every year from October to March.

What recommendations are not being followed? What more do you want from us? The fascist in chief in NJ just closed the parks today because he didn’t like how people were behaving. Are you ok with that?
    Not just NJ. The governor of TX did the same thing. Abbott closes state parks, historical sites | Coronavirus | news-journal.com

Wish they were more like the guy in Missouri. Mike Parson did not shut it down, and is being vilified by the media. Hope he has the balls to stand his ground.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post

What world do you live in man? Ten million people applied for unemployment in the last two weeks alone, and the number is projected to be higher this week. Janet Yellen thinks the unemployment rate is now 13%.

I was having a conversation this morning with the woman at our local police department who handles applications for firearms purchaser ID cards. Usually when she comes in there’s one or two applications. For the last few weeks there have been 12-15 every time she comes in. That’s people who have never owned a gun who now want to buy one in a smallish town of about 18K.
    You seem to have trouble with long-term and short-term implications. What I am suggesting is the long-term ramifications of not performing the current measures far outweigh any short-term problems we have on the economy by keeping them in place. Also, yes, for the most part people are following the recommendations and it appears to be working. If we do it appropriately it will look like it wasn't needed, but if we don't do it it will look like we should have done it. Which side of that coin would you prefer to be on?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    . Government can’t legislate certain things...
    You mean, like how many people can gather, or how close I can get to another human, or who is allowed to get in my boat, or what time I can be out doors, who is essential and what I can sell/buy in a store (because the government says the items are essential or not)......

I know you weren't talking about it, but if you told me in January those things would be controlled by local/state governments in TEXAS I would have laughed at you. But here we are.

sb