starting strength gym
Page 172 of 3020 FirstFirst ... 721221621701711721731741822222726721172 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 30193

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    The fact that everyone is still trying to compare covid-19 to a regular flu season in this thread is absolutely depressing. This pandemic has already killed as many people as a typical flu season in about half the time WITH dramatic social interventions! When I last responded here there were ~13K deaths. Now there have been nearly 30K deaths and growing. That was 1 week ago! Yes, the original model (which was based on if the virus ran through the country without interventions) overestimated the number of deaths. But as was mentioned, those models were what was expected to happen if we did nothing. The interventions are working. If the interventions were lifted, would you really want to go to a movie, concert, or large sporting event anytime soon?

Is now the time to open the country back up? I would agree that the timeline for this should be based on where you live and some areas are closer than others. Does rural Montana require the same constraints as NYC? Probably not. However, proper protocols need to be put in place before this happens. We need appropriate testing so contact tracing can be performed, which is not happening. What we are left with is an administration that did not take this virus seriously at the onset. Established poor procedures and protocols which allowed this to spread rapidly. We have an administration who wanted to promote propaganda and falsehoods. Oops, it turns out hydroxycholoroquine isn't all that effective against the virus based on the most recent studies. We have an administration who is too worried about blaming others than developing solutions. We are now attempting to defund the World Health Organization?? WTF?!? When did the WHO become the enemy? The United States is doing far worse than most other countries when it comes to dealing with this. Instead, we have a President who is more concerned with putting his name on paper stimulus checks (likely delaying when people will receive them) to score some political points for the election. What episode of the twilight zone is this?

The lack of leadership and piss poor response we have had to this pandemic is going to do nothing more than prolong it, which will do far further damage to the economy in the long run. So maybe some of the folks that I was arguing with have a point. We should simply have done nothing and let this thing run its course, costing possibly millions of lives. Given this country's lack of leadership we will be digging ourselves out of this for a long time after other countries have recovered. Most of the world will probably end up with a travel ban on Americans if this keeps up. I guess that is how we are making america great again.

I guess that would be a failure of the criminal justice system if we released 4000 inmates convicted of nonviolent crimes and they all turn violent after their release.
    The model with what was it 120-250k deaths was made with us social distancing and obeying all parameters, so it changing to 85k in a few days was not because of social distancing working

If the rationale for a lock down has expired, consider the following stats from my home state: (PA: Democrat Governor).

The backdrop of these stats are that the governor unilaterally shut down all "non-essential" businesses in the entire state (he defined what is essential).

Should we ever have had a state-wide lock down to begin with?

Counties with over 100 reported cases
    Number of Counties: 26
    Population 9,645,476
    cases 25,354
    deaths 627
    death per capita: 6.50046E-05
    Land 14,392 sq miles

Counties with less than 100 reported cases (to date, total)
    Number of Counties: 41
    Population: 3,056,903
    cases:1,136
    deaths: 20
    death per capita: 6.54257E-06 (1 order of magnitude lower)
    Land: 30,897 sq miles

Quote Originally Posted by lazygun37 View Post
    OK, I'll admit it -- at this point I'm sort of enjoying both of your inability to admit even the most obvious mistakes, at least to me. I mean, come on Rob: you typed over 400 angry words in response to me without once acknowledging your were wrong -- and then you hilariously say this in your very next post (in response to somebody else):

You're got to admit that's pretty funny.

What's less funny is that I think you still don't understand *why* you were wrong, because you then make the same mistake again literally in the very next sentence:

So, yeah, I'm telling you that's also wrong. I mean, even wiigelec understands by now that reporting delays of up to 1-2 weeks may cause slight problems if you're trying to draw conclusions based on data for the last 5 days. Which is why nobody serious would do that. (To be fair, wiigelec also still doesn't seem to understand the difference between totals *known* on a given day and totals *up to* a given day. But whatever.)

I live to serve.

In fact, I'm going to seriously address your point about my supposed "inconsistency" and my supposed "flip-flopping" between requiring perfect data from you while using imperfect data and approximations myself. If either of you could one day respond equally seriously, that would be lovely.

So: the problem I have with you and Rip is not at all that you're using imperfect or imprecise data. It's that you are often using *wrong* data (or, equivalently, misinterpreting data) to arrive at incorrect or unsubstantiated conclusions.

Statistics is all about helping us make decisions under uncertainty. All data is imprecise and inaccurate at some level. But in order to make optimal decisions based on imprecise data we need to understand the data we are using. If I use a measurement of some quantity -- like death counts -- I need to first understand how imprecise it is (because of purely random small number statistics), I need to understand how inaccurate it is (perhaps because of delayed reporting), and I need to understand whether it even measures the quantity I would like it to measure (e.g. if I'm trying to measure daily death counts, I can't rely on measurements of totals known on a given day). With this understanding, you can draw meaningful conclusions even from highly imprecise and/or inaccurate data. Without this understanding, you're virtually certain to draw the wrong conclusions and possibly mislead people.

Let me take a specific example. The average number of flu deaths per year in the US is around 30,000. The range around that is pretty large -- from something like 18,000 to 51,000 deaths in the last 7 years with complete data (and up to 61,000 if we include the last two years with incomplete data). So a statement like "22,000 deaths is pretty typical" is perfectly sensible in this context. And just to prove that admitting faults doesn't kill you: I do wish I'd said "not atypical" instead of "pretty typical". But it makes zero difference to the argument in this case, which was simply that the number of deaths was already in the realm of the seasonal and still rising. By contrast, you were using your incorrect daily death counts to draw the conclusion that the peak may well have been a week ago -- but that conclusion is completely unsupported by the correct data. I hope you can see the difference.

By the same token, all models are wrong at some level. That's true of Newtonian physics, of special and general relativity, of Maxwell's equations and whatever else you want to name. The question is not whether a model is "perfect". It isn't -- if it was, it wouldn't be a model. The question is whether it captures the essential parts of the problems you are trying to capture. And, in interpreting such models, it's critical to also account for "modelling error" -- i.e. the uncertainty that's associated with the fact that your model is imperfect.

Don't get me wrong -- of course models can be flat out wrong. What that means is that they fail to capture aspects of the data that they *should* capture if they were right. But this is why it's just disingenuous to say things like "the Imperial College model is BS; it predicted 2.2M deaths, and now we're going to have only 60,000". That prediction was intended to capture the case of an unchecked outbreak, so comparing it to the actual numbers for an outbreak with interventions doesn't make sense. And given that their model does predict deaths in the tens of thousands for scenarios with interventions, it's actually doing pretty well. Not perfect, obviously -- but well enough to help in decision making.
    7th time of asking:

In which State do you live Lazygun?

A reminder of the definition of Cowardice, Oxford English Dictionary:

“A person who is not brave or who does not have the courage to do things that other people do not think are especially difficult“.

You have to admit: he and Rob literally asked for it.

I'm sorry. I'm trying, I really am. But, to paraphrase Michael Corleone, just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in with beauties like this one:

I'm sure we have all fully read -- and were awed by -- this breakthrough in epidemiology by a Philosophy professor. (I can finally see why you value academic philosophy so highly, Rip!). To summarize: this is one special virus. Not only does it keep to a strict calendar (making sure that its outbreaks become harmless after 6 weeks). But each virus also carries a GPS receiver and communicates with all other virus particles, thus ensuring that the 6-week clock is reset whenever a virus particle starts a new outbreak in a new country.

No wonder we had such trouble modelling these outbreaks.
    8th time of asking:

“A person who is not brave or who does not have the courage to do things that other people do not think are especially difficult“.

At the risk of turning this into a serious discussion: I have been trying to do that the entire time -- i.e. look carefully at the data people cited in support of their conclusions. Now, I've obviously not been able to look at literally every post that's been made, and I've definitely prioritized instances where problems or errors were just blatant.

But -- and I mean this seriously -- if you point me to the best contrary data set in your view, I will take an open-minded and careful look at it. And if I think it's solid and supports your conclusion, I will say so. And either way I'll explain my reasoning, so you'll be able to vet it.
    9th time of asking:

6th time of asking:

The fact that everyone is still trying to compare covid-19 to a regular flu season in this thread is absolutely depressing. This pandemic has already killed as many people as a typical flu season in about half the time WITH dramatic social interventions! When I last responded here there were ~13K deaths. Now there have been nearly 30K deaths and growing. That was 1 week ago! Yes, the original model (which was based on if the virus ran through the country without interventions) overestimated the number of deaths. But as was mentioned, those models were what was expected to happen if we did nothing. The interventions are working. If the interventions were lifted, would you really want to go to a movie, concert, or large sporting event anytime soon?

Is now the time to open the country back up? I would agree that the timeline for this should be based on where you live and some areas are closer than others. Does rural Montana require the same constraints as NYC? Probably not. However, proper protocols need to be put in place before this happens. We need appropriate testing so contact tracing can be performed, which is not happening. What we are left with is an administration that did not take this virus seriously at the onset. Established poor procedures and protocols which allowed this to spread rapidly. We have an administration who wanted to promote propaganda and falsehoods. Oops, it turns out hydroxycholoroquine isn't all that effective against the virus based on the most recent studies. We have an administration who is too worried about blaming others than developing solutions. We are now attempting to defund the World Health Organization?? WTF?!? When did the WHO become the enemy? The United States is doing far worse than most other countries when it comes to dealing with this. Instead, we have a President who is more concerned with putting his name on paper stimulus checks (likely delaying when people will receive them) to score some political points for the election. What episode of the twilight zone is this?

The lack of leadership and piss poor response we have had to this pandemic is going to do nothing more than prolong it, which will do far further damage to the economy in the long run. So maybe some of the folks that I was arguing with have a point. We should simply have done nothing and let this thing run its course, costing possibly millions of lives. Given this country's lack of leadership we will be digging ourselves out of this for a long time after other countries have recovered. Most of the world will probably end up with a travel ban on Americans if this keeps up. I guess that is how we are making america great again.

I guess that would be a failure of the criminal justice system if we released 4000 inmates convicted of nonviolent crimes and they all turn violent after their release.
    Did you get that medal of honour you thought you deserved for being nice to your mother yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are too incredibly stupid to argue with.
    An anagram of Bruno Lawrence = a newborn ulcer. Very apt.

I went to Walmart earlier today, 80-90% of the people were wearing a mask. I'm not sure about things where you live, but yeah, the majority of people appear to be obeying the orders.
    I went to the gun shop yesterday and ZERO customers had masks on. Walmart and Publix is at maybe 33%. Saw around 50 people at an AA campfire meeting the other day. NOT sitting 6' apart.

We have been having BBQ's every weekend at my buddies house as have his neighbors on both sides. We have two gals working with my kids 3 hours a day 5 days a week.

Of course there is less socializing, but we can't tell for sure the effect of antisocial distancing on spread and deaths unless we could compare accurate numbers for flu and accurate numbers for Kung Flu. But we don't seem to have either right now.

Sweden seems to have tracked the same as everyone else using the same sketchy metrics for measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
    My apologies, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I was just trying to help you and everyone else understand the COVID19 death rate in Sweden in closer detail.

Anyway, here's an interesting website that contains a statistical detailing the weekly death rate in Sweden from 2015 up until 2020.

Statistics Sweden to publish preliminary statistics on deaths in Sweden
    I read some of your other posts in this thread, and I'm sorry for being snippy with you. I get the need for more precise data - hell, I was arguing for that towards the beginning of this thread. I just find it a little hypocritical (not directing this at you) that those in charge were willing to shut down the world with very little, very bad data, but feel the need for lots and lots of very good data before opening it back up. You can be damn sure those initial models were not based on weeks-old properly vetted and certified numbers. They were based on assumptions and very very wide ranges of possibilities, which made them not terribly useful for making policy decisions. Although decisions were in fact made based on minimizing the likelihood of the worst possible outcome based on the worst possible set of assumptions.

I sincerely hope that Sweden keeps on its current path of keeping everything open so we have something to compare to in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    You asked about an “unchecked” outbreak in response to criticism of the Imperial College model which was answered with cited data to which you provided a straw man response that was countered and you have yet to again respond. I’ll leave it up to you to locate the appropriate posts if you are indeed interested in discussing...
    Serious response: I have looked back through this thread, but I honestly don't know which post(s) you're referring to. If you point me to the post with the cited data you mention, I'll check it out.

If the interventions were lifted, would you really want to go to a movie, concert, or large sporting event anytime soon?
    Not those things specifically, because I don't generally participate in those activities anyway. I do want the option however. I want to continue taking ballroom dancing lessons with my wife. I want to sit down and enjoy a crepe at the local crepery. I want to go to the gym. I am not allowed to do any of these things. I may not ever be allowed to do those things because those businesses may not have survived this catastrophe.

However, proper protocols need to be put in place before this happens. We need appropriate testing so contact tracing can be performed, which is not happening.
    I see these phrases (especially "contact tracing") thrown around a lot. What specifically does that look like in your opinion?

What we are left with is an administration that did not take this virus seriously at the onset. Established poor procedures and protocols which allowed this to spread rapidly... The lack of leadership and piss poor response we have had to this pandemic is going to do nothing more than prolong it, which will do far further damage to the economy in the long run.
    What specifically should the Federal Government have done differently?

Mayor Yoga Pants here in LA announced yesterday no sports events, concerts, or other “mass” gatherings until 2021. The downtown in my small town in LA county is like a ghost town. All the quirky restaurants and shops closed. And some old bag yelled at my husband yesterday because he was walking the dog and not wearing a mask. This is all bullshit. And unconstitutional in violation of the 5th amendment and due process. Quarantines are meant to keep the contagious sick in - not to keep healthy people in without any evidence that they pose a threat.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, it did take 170 pages for Godwin's law to fully materialize, which is a good result.