starting strength gym
Page 173 of 3020 FirstFirst ... 731231631711721731741751832232736731173 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 30199

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Do you need herd immunity to stop the spread? If so then why did the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic cease with only 25-30% infected? Why do only 20% get infected by influenza even in non-immunized populations?
    Are you absolutely sure that only 25-30% were infected in 1918? All flu statistics are projections, especially those from an era in which there were no tests. How do you know there weren't asymptomatic/very mild cases of that disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    9th time of asking:

In which State do you live Lazygun?

A reminder of the definition of Cowardice, Oxford English Dictionary:

“A person who is not brave or who does not have the courage to do things that other people do not think are especially difficult“.
    Let it go, Robin. He's a bureaucrat in NYC, like a bot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    I just find it a little hypocritical (not directing this at you) that those in charge were willing to shut down the world with very little, very bad data, but feel the need for lots and lots of very good data before opening it back up. You can be damn sure those initial models were not based on weeks-old properly vetted and certified numbers. They were based on assumptions and very very wide ranges of possibilities, which made them not terribly useful for making policy decisions. Although decisions were in fact made based on minimizing the likelihood of the worst possible outcome based on the worst possible set of assumptions.
    Yeah, this is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    How is any of this legal? Our governor in Illinois does not have the power to overturn any voting laws or suspend elections, or require the legislature to meet via teleconference because these all require changes to current laws/mandates/policies, but he can mandate a shut down of “non-essential” businesses and he can grant workman’s comp to nurses and other first responders with no proof they contracted COVID-19 at work. Turns out these are all powers granted to him under the Illinois Emergency Management Act.
    Also, cities all over the country are mandating face coverings. Which I am sure our governor will mandate for Illinois as part of lifting the house arrest order. And I cannot find anything online that gives the Government power to do this either. So does that mean the lack of a law forbidding the Government to do something gives them the authority to enact anything? Or what if we stay under this Emergency Management Act indefinitely? And all Pritzker continues to do is deflect everything to the CDC, epidemiologist, doctors, and mathematicians on “flatting the curve.” I guess we were so worried about military take overs we didn’t plan on how to defend against Healthcare Industry take overs.
    When they get a vaccine and I don’t get my shot, but it can be proved through “test and trace” that I passed the virus to someone, could I be tried for assault or murder if they die? I’m sure I’m just being paranoid.
    It's not legal, none of it is legal, that's the point! Tyrants don't care about legality. Just yesterday, the governor of New Jersey was asked where he got the authority to nullify the Bill of Rights. His response was, "I wasn't thinking of the Bill of Rights when we did this … we looked at all the data and the science and it says people have to stay away from each other."

It seems like there is a whole lot of "not thinking" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    I'm kind of looking forward to a gym where wiping equipment is mandatory, open coughing is banned, ample cleaning supplies are stocked, and janitorial service is expanded.
    Build a home gym, Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you absolutely sure that only 25-30% were infected in 1918? All flu statistics are projections, especially those from an era in which there were no tests. How do you know there weren't asymptomatic/very mild cases of that disease?

Let it go, Robin. He's a bureaucrat in NYC, like a bot.

Yeah, this is excellent.
    You’re right Rip. He’s not worth dignifying with responses. Lazygun the Coward. The kind of male gorilla who would allow the females and the young of the troop to cross an unknown dangerous road before he did.

Politico has a decent piece today. They will apologize to the left for it later.

The Shutdown Backlash Is Coming Soon—With a Vengeance - POLITICO

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    My position is still: COVID-19 is not a long-term public health concern, but it is a short-term threat to hospitals, which warranted lockdown for at most a month.

Well, it's been a month. Hospitals and PPE manufacturers are done adding capacity. The rate of new cases is no longer increasing (at least in NYC). The rationale for lockdown has expired. So has their economic feasibility. Restoring economic activity should now be the goal.

I guess some will feel the need to rebel against the new tyranny of masks, plexiglass, and Clorox wipes. I'm kind of looking forward to a gym where wiping equipment is mandatory, open coughing is banned, ample cleaning supplies are stocked, and janitorial service is expanded.
    Was shutting the country down for "just a month" ever a realistic option? Mobilizing and demobilizing large groups of people is a huge task, to say nothing of trying to do the same thing with an entire industry. The idea that significant sectors of the economy could just shut down and start up again on a whim was questioned even at the beginning of this thing. Rip mentioned that Gold's Gym has begun to permanently shut down locations, and the same thing will start happening elsewhere.

The water is under the bridge at this point, but hopefully one of the things people can learn from this is that shutting down whole industries is not a workable response to a pandemic.

America's little experiment with a planned economy should have been informed by similar experiments throughout history. It wasn't. As of today, 22 million people have lost their jobs, and the lazygun bot and BrunoLawrence LVN will be along shortly to talk about the disease statistics. This is the grandest example of government mismanagement in the history of the human race. Will we learn from it? I don't think so.

Certainly, but the the IFR would need to be reduced to some number that doesn’t make as interesting a story as the currently claimed 2%. Perhaps the motives were similar in 1918 as they are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    It's not legal, none of it is legal, that's the point! Tyrants don't care about legality. Just yesterday, the governor of New Jersey was asked where he got the authority to nullify the Bill of Rights. His response was, "I wasn't thinking of the Bill of Rights when we did this … we looked at all the data and the science and it says people have to stay away from each other."

It seems like there is a whole lot of "not thinking" these days.
    If you read Illinois Emergency Management Agency Act or the legislation for your state, these actions are “legal” under the act after a disaster declaration is made. This is concerning to me: there are a lot of terms in this act that give the governor a tremendous amount of unchecked power and the criteria for determining a “disaster” to authorize this power is very broad and or not defined at all.

I wish more people were pissed off about this. Those of us that care about our freedom more than our safety. Unfortunately it seems most people are content with letting the Government do everything for them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I get what you are saying, but what if my cough is from allergies? Or what if I swallowed some drink or food, and it went down the wrong pipe? Of what if I get a sneeze attack for no reason?
    Rip may have better perspective on this, but I think standards of gym cleanliness have regressed in the past few years. This is possibly another blighted legacy of CrossFit, which taught the public they aren’t really getting a good workout unless they’re in a grungy warehouse, bleeding on the pull-up bar and rolling around in other people’s sweat angels.